Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    201

    Sidecar on new bike

    Mounted sidecarrier on new bike!


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    24
    that is awesome!! never saw or heard of fatboy until i signed on here ! does the sidecar affect the handling in any way? are those side cars around the same price as the others ?
    newbie sorry for the questions

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    very nice

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,443
    get yourself a 3" trials tire for that thing!
    otherwise it'll dig in on the beach when your bike doesn't!
    I've got a 2.2" on my sidehack, and 2.3"s on the cougar.
    the extra cush and floatation of fatter tire is worth it on trailers too!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    90
    i toyed with the idea of a sidecar. i stayed away for a few reasons:
    - wider footprint
    - not as much trunk space
    - only 1 kid
    - not guaranteed to work with all bikes

    while i may be down to hauling 1 kid, we still like all the extra trunk space of the courgar 2. but sometimes i wouldnt mind an even smallet footprint the cougar1...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    135
    Guaranteed that you're the only person in town with that setup. Very nice.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    get yourself a 3" trials tire for that thing!
    otherwise it'll dig in on the beach when your bike doesn't!
    I've got a 2.2" on my sidehack, and 2.3"s on the cougar.
    the extra cush and floatation of fatter tire is worth it on trailers too!
    You've inspired me! I am looking at a schwinn occ chopper from craigslist this weekend! Some of these are running 20 x 4.25 tires!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by RolledMeat View Post
    Guaranteed that you're the only person in town with that setup. Very nice.
    I have yet to see another sidecar, but I think price is a big factor there. I got a deal on mine used, but I had to travel quite a ways to buy it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    You've inspired me! I am looking at a schwinn occ chopper from craigslist this weekend! Some of these are running 20 x 4.25 tires!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,443
    only a 2.1" bmx tire, but WAY better suited to real riding that the stock 1.5" or whatever it is. (on my 1x1 last year with 3" kenda slicks.)

    the stock rims are pretty narrow, but the trailer doesn't lean over like a bicycle does so there's very little lateral force being put onto the sidewall of the tire. I doubt you'd get a blow-off or anything if you keep the psi reasonable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sidecar on new bike-sidecar-rig.jpg  

    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    only a 2.1" bmx tire, but WAY better suited to real riding that the stock 1.5" or whatever it is. (on my 1x1 last year with 3" kenda slicks.)

    the stock rims are pretty narrow, but the trailer doesn't lean over like a bicycle does so there's very little lateral force being put onto the sidewall of the tire. I doubt you'd get a blow-off or anything if you keep the psi reasonable.
    I've seen that pic and it was definitely an inspiration for me. It wasn't long after that I bought my own sidecar. My son turns 4 in June, so I'll probably only get 1 more year of kid hauling out of it; then maybe a cargo conversion of some sort! I really do enjoy the uniqueness of it!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25
    This is very RAD! Would you mind explaining the mounting bracket apparatus for the sidecar? Even better would be a close up pic or two. I've got a pugsley and boy on the way so I must have this setup. Kindly,

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjoClark View Post
    This is very RAD! Would you mind explaining the mounting bracket apparatus for the sidecar? Even better would be a close up pic or two. I've got a pugsley and boy on the way so I must have this setup. Kindly,
    Update: The boy was born in Sept '12 and I got the sidecarrier setup for some fatbike riding. Sidecar on new bike-dsc02939-2.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02939-2.jpg 
Views:	5658 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	770548Sidecar on new bike-dsc02938-2.jpg

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjoClark View Post
    Update: The boy was born in Sept '12 and I got the sidecarrier setup for some fatbike riding. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02939-2.jpg 
Views:	5658 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	770548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02939-2.jpg 
Views:	5658 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	770548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02938-2.jpg 
Views:	4022 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	770549
    AAAHH! You did it! You did what I was going to do! Did you have to drill new holes for spoke count? Spoke pattern? I bought that silly Schwinn Stingray months ago. Almost a year ago! I have never laced up a wheel before so I was dragging my feet on it, and you went out and did it! Congrats! That looks as good as I knew it would! I am going to drag that Schwinn out of the snow right now. New spokes? Spoke length?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25
    Yeah man! I'm super stoked about it. I think it turned out pretty great. You should check out this thread below where I detailed a little more about the relacing the wheel etc. It wasn't hard at all. Cheers!

    Fat Chariot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •