mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Should I Buy Full face helmet for 6yo?

Have a 6 year old that just went on her first trail ride. She is growing out of her helmet and was wondering if I should get a full face helmet. We have a lot of rocky trails around here. Just not sure if it would get two hot or be to heavy for her.
    Last edited by sdm74; 05-08-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It is going to be most likely to hot for her. I make my son wear his full face when DH riding or racing/practicing at the local BMX track. He hates wearing it, especially in the summer months, but understands the importance's of it.

If you feel a full face is warranted, the trail maybe to technical for her current riding level.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a MET parachute. It is a standard vented lightweight helmet with an easily attachable face gaurd. It is pricey though. I rarely use the face gaurd excepy when the I know I'm going to be on extremely rocky decents in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I know a full face helmet saved us some serious grief when my son was developing his riding skills, as did knee, elbow and torso protection. There are some downsides ,but I'm pretty sure he would've been put off biking after some of the crashes he's had if he wasn't geared up pretty well. It made the difference between a few tears and the end of the day too many times to count, and kept us out of the emergency room a handful of times I'm sure. Not to mention, I'm not big on seeing him get dinged up. Particularly on rocky terrain (which is what we have around here), you can get thrown down pretty quick and kids in general haven't developed a great strategy for crashing. Until they do, IMO, wrap em' up like stormtroopers, then remove stuff as you feel comfortable about it. Adjust for temps and trail conditions as necessary.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I know a full face helmet saved us some serious grief when my son was developing his riding skills, as did knee, elbow and torso protection. There are some downsides ,but I'm pretty sure he would've been put off biking after some of the crashes he's had if he wasn't geared up pretty well. It made the difference between a few tears and the end of the day too many times to count, and kept us out of the emergency room a handful of times I'm sure. Not to mention, I'm not big on seeing him get dinged up. Particularly on rocky terrain (which is what we have around here), you can get thrown down pretty quick and kids in general haven't developed a great strategy for crashing. Until they do, IMO, wrap em' up like stormtroopers, then remove stuff as you feel comfortable about it. Adjust for temps and trail conditions as necessary.
    This is what I was thinking. Obviously regardless of there level they will fall learning to ride rocks, roots etc. I have her riding with elbow and knee pads already for the rocky stuff, so I was picturing the full face possibly saving her face if it happens to take a fall out on the rougher areas.
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I 100% agree on the kids wearing full face and armor. Both my kids do, and both have had some pretty nasty crashes. We have the Cratoni full face helmets, and they aren't that much heavier than a regular helmet, and they have saved us some dental work several times. Like Slap said, kids just don't know how to ninja out of crashes yet, so might as well protect them the best you can. And it gets fairly warm where we ride (upper 80s), and as long as they are staying hydrated and you squirt water into their helmet every once in a while, all is good. My kids don't know any different, as they have been riding geared up since they started riding single track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I 100% agree on the kids wearing full face and armor. Both my kids do, and both have had some pretty nasty crashes. We have the Cratoni full face helmets, and they aren't that much heavier than a regular helmet, and they have saved us some dental work several times. Like Slap said, kids just don't know how to ninja out of crashes yet, so might as well protect them the best you can. And it gets fairly warm where we ride (upper 80s), and as long as they are staying hydrated and you squirt water into their helmet every once in a while, all is good. My kids don't know any different, as they have been riding geared up since they started riding single track.
    Wow those are sweet looking.
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v