Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Short crank supplier you might be interested in

The question of short cranks often comes up in threads, and quite rightly too.

I found a supplier of short cranks a while back and thought others might be interested in the details. I'm fairly new to the forums, so apologies if you already know of them.

Utah Trikes sell a 152mm triple chainset Utah Trikes Catalog - Trikes, Upgrades & Accessories

Price is pretty good, and they are OK weight-wise. Not the lightest, and you have you run a heavy square taper bb. But not too terrible and the main thing is the short crank lengths.

I've used these on both of my childrens 13" MTBs.
    Last edited by othello; 04-08-2014 at 02:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey, thanks for sharing that. The prices are rather reasonable too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for sharing that. I just bought a set of short Truvativ cranks from BikeSmith, but I searched for days for alternatives for short cranks with replaceable rings. I wish I had seen these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    While I'm please with the cranks on my son's bike that I got from BikeSmith, I too wish I had know about these when I purchased.

FYI, nice to know Cannondale seems to be getting a kids bike close to right for a reasonable price.

Just bought my daughter the race 24 for $500. Air fork, 152mm cranks
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Glad to hear people are finding the link useful. The only problem is I'm in the UK, so I get charged import duty and an unfavourable dollar to pound exchange doesn't help! Still, better to have the option of short cranks than not at all.

I have also picked up a pair of these 155mm cranks for my sons CX bike. 110 BCD though, but still hard to find usually and really good value Lasco Junior Short Crank Set - Black

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    In the future you can try Thorn from Sjscycles which is in the UK as well. They have cranks from 150mm and up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just got my thorn cranks and put some rings and a saint bash on. A few minutes with a dremel to mod the slx 32t ring and it looks good as stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Check out Sinz cranks as well. 125mm and up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A 1x setup is fine for up to 20" but when you get to 24" a 2x crankset is really needed because the kids are capable of some real climbing. Thus BMX cranks even though they are easy to acquire and cheap, they're typically 110bcd, ie. single ring only. Climbing is a lot easier with double/triple rings (ie. 64/104 bcd) and thus worth the hassle to source the bits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what did you have to do to the rings to make them fit.? I'm thinking about getting a the crank for my son and putting my slx rings on as I've switched to a 1x10
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I just got my thorn cranks and put some rings and a saint bash on. A few minutes with a dremel to mod the slx 32t ring and it looks good as stock.

mtbr member
    Those are great!! One of the best things about them is they are 104bcd. I am a big believer in short cranks but also 1x setups for kids. Both my kids are now running narrow wide 30t with 11-42 in the rear and they work great. You can try out Bombshell cranks they work well for the application. My daughters bike needed to have a 24mm spindle and the only one I could find was the bombshell spinnergy cranks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    what did you have to do to the rings to make them fit.? I'm thinking about getting a the crank for my son and putting my slx rings on as I've switched to a 1x10
    If you look closely at the 32t ring, you can see how I ground the molded plastic covering the ring flat so that it could fit on the thorn crank.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you look closely at the 32t ring, you can see how I ground the molded plastic covering the ring flat so that it could fit on the thorn crank.
    cant see it wit my old eyes and iphone

what BB width did you use? chain line for boys bike needs to be 50mm on middle ring
    Last edited by POAH; 04-16-2014 at 04:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    When you set the ring onto the crank, you will see how there is excessive plastic molding preventing the ring from "setting" into the spider arms. I basically ground the plastic down to a mil or two of the visible metal leaving just a hair of plastic.

BB... I used a 113mm. The crank is a double so it doesn't have to be 50mm. However a 113mm would give you 50mm or so if you went with triple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    cheers helps a lot

Wēk Ss
    Huge pictures! The web page goes nuts when in "wide" mode.

I used the Utah Trikes 152mm crank (Lasco) on my son's 24" bike. I replaced the rings with RaceFace Turbine rings. Well used now, but still ticking with no problems at all. I would probably use 36/22, if you could, though my son has no problems with 32/22, a bit higher top end on flats would be nice.

Son's 24" bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    When you set the ring onto the crank, you will see how there is excessive plastic molding preventing the ring from "setting" into the spider arms. I basically ground the plastic down to a mil or two of the visible metal leaving just a hair of plastic.

BB... I used a 113mm. The crank is a double so it doesn't have to be 50mm. However a 113mm would give you 50mm or so if you went with triple.

got the crank, clipped the plastic off fitted my old rings. just waiting on BB arriving.

Short crank supplier you might be interested in-p4pb10868876.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks good. Did you weigh yours? Iirc the thorn setup as 2x (22/32 with slx bash) ended up over 300g less than the stock parts. The stock crank/bb was ludicrously heavy. I weighed everything while during the swap but forgot to write it all down, doh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    its make a significant impact on his cycling. well worth it for smaller kids.

old
    BB - 312g
    Crank - 938g

new
    BB - un55 304g
    crank - 766g

Short crank supplier you might be interested in-p4pb10872335.jpg

Short crank supplier you might be interested in-p4pb10872334.jpg

Short crank supplier you might be interested in-img_1995.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's a sweet looking bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ordered a set from Utah Trikes just to give it a try. I've gotta say, they are on their game shipping wise. I got the crankset two days later. The crank itself looks nice enough, though its a lil heavier than the Thorn (although I don't recall the Thorns bare weight atm). Iirc after costs, the Thorn is around 10 bucks more overall. If I had to choose between the two, I think I would go with the Thorn for its fit and finish, seeming to me at least to be a better made crank. In time I will convert the Thorn on my sons bike from a 2x to 1x as well.

808g stock

528g stripped

575g setup with Raceface 30t 1x

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    changed it to a 1x and saved 200g on the rings alone. bike is down to 24.75lb as is. just waiting for his new wheels so I can fit the 10sp rear. will save at least a lb with the wheels not including making them tubeless

Short crank supplier you might be interested in-14259187100_cf8b42085e_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    changed it to a 1x and saved 200g on the rings alone. bike is down to 24.75lb as is. just waiting for his new wheels so I can fit the 10sp rear. will save at least a lb with the wheels not including making them tubeless

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14259187100_cf8b42085e_b.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	902018
    Removing the rear mech protector will save a chunk of weight. Those things weigh a ton!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    not sure about that it serves a purpose giving the scrapes he has already lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice, new wheels too. I just built a set as well. The bike is at my friends shop atm, we're milling some rear disc brackets for the frame.

Are you using going to use a 11-36t?

Quote Originally Posted by othello View Post
    Removing the rear mech protector will save a chunk of weight. Those things weigh a ton!
    They hardly weigh anything. And as mentioned, bikes that come with them come with them for a reason, ie. no replaceable drop outs.

Although I had to remove the protector on my son's bike because the protector interfered with the shadow+ mech. I just hoped I trained him well enough to never drop it on the right side lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast