mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Setting up 00' SID Race for 60lb Rider

Any tips or hints for setting up a 2000 Sid Race for my 60lb. daughter?

-Air pressure pos/neg?
    -Oil volume/weight?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm not going to be much help here but Rockshox keeps the archived manuals on thier website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    I'm not going to be much help here but Rockshox keeps the archived manuals on thier website.
    Yeah, I know - I have a copy - but they only show recommendations for rider weights down to <120lbs.

I'm guessing that I'm looking at ~15psi in each leg, but I was hoping to benefit from someone else's trial and error . Stuff like, what volume of oil they used, or if using a lighter weight oil was helpful or not...

Appreciate you lookin' out though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Setup is the same whether the rider's 60 or 260lb. Never go by what other people recommend as air pressures are a very rider/riding style dependent thing.

Set your pos air pressures to get the right amount of sag - somewhere in the 20-30% range. If your rider can't bottom the fork then run more sag. If they bottom it harshly then run less sag. Its OK to have the fork setup so the rider bottoms it out on the biggest obstacle(s) of any ride, provided the rider's not complaining of sore wrists. If you're not using all the travel on a ride then your not getting the most out of the fork.

Add in neg air pressure until it starts to pull the fork down (increasing sag). Back it off 5 psi. Your neg air is really just there to assist the initial fork movement against the pos air spring.

Only once your air pressures are properly dialled in can you start on the rebound or comp adjustments.

If you run out of adjustment on the rebound clickers then you can think about going to a different weight oil. Lighter if you can't get the rebound fast enough (heavier if you need slower rebound). Chances are you won't need to alter oil weight, but make sure you start with fresh oil. 60lb you might need to go lighter, but only if you have the rebound clicker on full fast and the rider still needs faster rebound.

Oil volumes on the SIDs are not generally used for tuning. Not sure on the 2000 SID race. Show us what the internals look like and measure the air gap and we can provide some more advice on tuning. Run the least amount of oil that RS recommends. If you need more bottoming resistance then add oil in small increments.

What is the fork currently doing that you need to change?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

After reading the manual more closely, it turns out the only oil in the 00' SID Race is the 2cc of RedRum on top of each air piston, and 5-10cc's of RedRum in the bottom of each leg. No rebound adjustment, no compression adjustment, just fill it with air and go! Very simple, but also very light. I had also read that fully synthetic 80wt gear oil can be substituted for the RedRum - so I'm going to try that. Everything is put back together and ready for a shakedown ride tomorrow or Wednesday - I'll report back what pressures I end up with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any full synth motor oil will work too.