mtbr member

Selling the Hotrock and buying a BMX racer for my son

My local shop has a Felt Sector Junior, 20" wheel, race bmx that's a leftover from 2012/2013 and made me a crazy good deal off MSRP to move it out. So we are going to sell my sons 20" hotrock as this lighter BMX racer should make a much more suitable bike for the kids krits he's doing now.

Anyone have experience with the Felt, feedback, build changes I should make?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    these race specific bmx mini's are generally made for the race track and not for cursing around the street. I mean you can but it would be a better idea to just use a street cruising bmx rather than that racer. those skinny rims could easily taco and you could end up ovalizing the head tube. keep the hot rock and throw some lighter chro-mo or alu parts on them, maybe 3 piece cranks, swap fork...just get rid of most of the hi-ten steel.

if your son is going to start bmx racing then get the felt AND keep the hot rock

this is exactly what i was doing 2 years ago

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    BMX minis handle a lot more on the race track than they're going to see in a kid crit.
    You will never get a kids mtb weight anywhere close without blowing tons of money (off the shelf lower-end minis are about 15lbs). My son used his for everything for a couple seasons and it worked great, though he does still tend to never sit down when he rides.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    We picked up the Felt yesterday, 16#, the Hotrock was 26#, I was shocked. My size Large Giant Anthem 27.5 weighs 23.5#, no reason a rigid single speed 20" wheel kids bike should weigh more than an adult large dual suspension mtb.

Needless to say the difference for him was dramatic, easier to handle/control, quicker on starts, crazy fast compared to the previous bike on the street. He was immediately pulling away from his buddies he raced after picking it up, they were all on cheapie Target 30# kids bikes, it was ridiculous.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.