mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Scott Spark Jr 20

Cross post from WW forum -

Here are some build pics. Finished weight (with OEM tires) is 24lbs 15oz. Other than the tires, the only part I can really see replacing is the seatpost. Hopefully it's as heavy as the bars were, but I doubt it. I'm thinking with the new tires, weight should be 22.5 or so.

Can't believe I had just the right FD.

I don't see anymore standard 1 1/8" headtubes in my future, so why not use this?

I'm leaving all of the gears on for now. Will see which ones she actually can use and delete a few if they prove unneeded. I'm not sure that her balance will be good enough to use the really small gears, and not sure if she can push the big ones. Might get a Middleburn XTR spider and an MRP chainguide if that proves to be the case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Did you happen to weigh the bike before and after?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I did weigh it, it was about 27.5 lbs. I got the new tires last week which got rid of one more pound.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Impressive! What cranks, and length?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just got the same exact bike for my middle son. $200 on ebay brand new is hard to pass up. We went on our first ride the day after Christmas and he did awesome. The boys and I have been on many rides but this was his first ride with gears so he enjoyed it much more than he usually does. Hopefully we have many more rides to come.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi888
    Impressive! What cranks, and length?
    The cranks were 175mm XTR M900s. Now they are 140mm XTR M900s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Have you tried to upgrade the rear shock yet? I took the one off my sons spark jr 20 bike only to find it's just a coil carrier, no oil, no valving, nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I haven't done anything with the shock (Ski season!) but I've heard that the Spark 24's air shock will go.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    FYI
    Those are M950s
    M900 would have been much easier to mod and much easier to get more suitable replacement 'rings for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oops yeah, I meant M950s. I have M900s as well. I think there actually wouldn't be much left to drill into if you shortened them. The M950s did take a little extra work though with closing up the hollow ends after cutting them.