Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

RST F1RST Air 24"

I see that the Scott Scale Jr has the new 24" RST Air fork. Hopefully we can buy this fork by itself soon. Or the Spinner Air, or Suntour Air. Anything please!

mtbr member
    The SR Suntour XCR Air 24" will be available after the new year!

Best,
    Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Sounds good Nick, but would that be January or November? Any idea what retailers are the most likely to carry it?

mtbr member
    January 1, 2012. Not sure about retailer specific but Distributors can order them from us around that time or we can sell consumer direct.

Best,
    Nick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    I see that the Scott Scale Jr has the new 24" RST Air fork. Hopefully we can buy this fork by itself soon. Or the Spinner Air, or Suntour Air. Anything please!
    Scott's website list the "Fork: RST Capa T24, 24" which isn't an air fork.
    SCOTT Scale JR 24 - Bike Junior's
    RST

Where are you getting this info?
    I'm tossing back and forth between the Specialized A1 and The Scott Scale - Air fork on the Scott could lean me toward the Scott.

Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan View Post
    Scott's website list the "Fork: RST Capa T24, 24" which isn't an air fork.
    SCOTT Scale JR 24 - Bike Junior's
    RST

Where are you getting this info?
    I'm tossing back and forth between the Specialized A1 and The Scott Scale - Air fork on the Scott could lean me toward the Scott.

Michael
    SCOTT Scale RC JR - Bike Youth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    January 1, 2012. Not sure about retailer specific but Distributors can order them from us around that time or we can sell consumer direct.

Best,
    Nick
    How does consumer direct work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    ....ah, that's the $999 bike. Not going that route for a 24" bike

mtbr member
    Me neither, but I want the fork....
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Yeah. $999 for a bike with rim brakes, just like the Specialized 24 I bought on CL for $40.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Yeah. $999 for a bike with rim brakes, just like the Specialized 24 I bought on CL for $40.
    Not quite. It's under 23lbs with 3 chain rings, air fork, XT derailleur, and light wheels. The specialized is about 27lbs. Light wheels would probably run another $300-$400 unless you score something prebuilt. The air fork...still in search of, but will likely be $300+, if ever found. Still cheaper to piece it together yourself for sure. I would definitely buy a used and modify (big fan of that for generic kid situations), but buying new and not having to modify, there aren't many choices out there for a weight weenie 24incher.

Rim brakes are quite effective, and have been used for decades with no issues unless you get it wet, but it dries quickly. If you're looking to keep weight down, and costs, rim is more effective than disc in that regard. Disc is 3x heavier at least, for the whole brake system. Top of the line v-brakes are cheaper than top of the line discs, for a cost comparison. I wouldn't hesitate to use rim for my kids, because I'm not going to take them into the mud. Cleaning my own bike, and all the laundry surrounding it and my riding gear, is a PITA already! Riding in the rain, they should do cautiously anyway, but discs will howl like mad in that situation, so it's a wash.

mtbr member
    SR Suntour can sell consumer direct if your local dealer is unable to get the fork you are after. We do have a sizeable distribution chain here in the USA.

Best Regards,
    Nick

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Not quite. It's under 23lbs with 3 chain rings, air fork, XT derailleur, and light wheels. The specialized is about 27lbs. Light wheels would probably run another $300-$400 unless you score something prebuilt. The air fork...still in search of, but will likely be $300+, if ever found. Still cheaper to piece it together yourself for sure. I would definitely buy a used and modify (big fan of that for generic kid situations), but buying new and not having to modify, there aren't many choices out there for a weight weenie 24incher.

Rim brakes are quite effective, and have been used for decades with no issues unless you get it wet, but it dries quickly. If you're looking to keep weight down, and costs, rim is more effective than disc in that regard. Disc is 3x heavier at least, for the whole brake system. Top of the line v-brakes are cheaper than top of the line discs, for a cost comparison. I wouldn't hesitate to use rim for my kids, because I'm not going to take them into the mud. Cleaning my own bike, and all the laundry surrounding it and my riding gear, is a PITA already! Riding in the rain, they should do cautiously anyway, but discs will howl like mad in that situation, so it's a wash.

I agree, the bike I'm building will be about $600-700 and a hell of a lot better speced than the Scott.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    I just received my new pricing for 2012. The XCR 24 Air will be $229.99.

Best Regards,
    Nick

mtbr member
    I KNOW! Right?!? People spending 3k on 29's too. Me, I'm waiting to get one of these used off of CL. 29er with discs!

Walmart.com: Genesis Two Nine 29" Mountain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys

mtbr member

Best Regards,
    Nick
    Thanks Nick, I'll start doing searches come Jan. 1st. Not cheap, but it'll be handed down at least once...

Wēk Ss

Best Regards,
    Nick
    Nice price, a bit heavy though.

Is the A2C correct on your web page? 481mm is taller than a 100mm 26" fork. Your XCT Jr is 416mm.

mtbr member

Is the A2C correct on your web page? 481mm is taller than a 100mm 26" fork. Your XCT Jr is 416mm.
    Yeah, I was hoping it would be in the 1750's or so. Looking forward to something with low stiction and air tune-ability, hopefully this delivers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Not even close. Those wheels on the Scale RC are way lighter than any other 24" wheels you'll find. These would also be the wheels you want to transfer over to a 26 XS build.
    The rim brakes on that bike are excellent, I was very suprised how well they worked even winter riding in the snow & there very light. Don't forget your going to get a descent buck for a bike like that when you sell it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Not even close. Those wheels on the Scale RC are way lighter than any other 24" wheels you'll find. These would also be the wheels you want to transfer over to a 26 XS build.
    The rim brakes on that bike are excellent, I was very suprised how well they worked even winter riding in the snow & there very light. Don't forget your going to get a descent buck for a bike like that when you sell it.
    Actually incorrect, to make a 24wheeled XS26er you want disc hub because the rim brakes won't line up
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Actually incorrect, to make a 24wheeled XS26er you want disc hub because the rim brakes won't line up
    Nope, you just need adaptors like on this one.This is a 26" fork, I may just take the entire front end off this 24" bike a put it on a 26" XS when the time comes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RST F1RST Air 24"-img_0332_1.jpg  

rebmem rbtm

Hopefully it is 418mm. If it is 481 I wouldn't even consider it as most 80mm 26" forks are around 455.

Wēk Ss
    Nope, you just need adaptors like on this one.
    Where'd you get those adapters? When I was looking, I didn't find any other than a custom bracket you have to make or have made. I'm going with discs, because it's an off the shelf solution.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Where'd you get those adapters? When I was looking, I didn't find any other than a custom bracket you have to make or have made. I'm going with discs, because it's an off the shelf solution.
    Most are just home made, its not to difficult to make them. I have a friend with a CNC machine, so he made this one for me.

mtbr member
    Most are just home made, its not to difficult to make them. I have a friend with a CNC machine, so he made this one for me.
    Do you have a cad file or drawing that would be kind enough to share?
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast