Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Where from?
    Check PM which i'm going to send you now. Only 2 for sale and i bought one of those.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Received the Suntour fork today. Weighs 1868grams with uncut steerer. Cutting the steerer will save another 68 grams i hope. Sure will save 300 to 400 grams compaired with the old fork. Unfortunately i will see my son on August 28. So you will have to wait for a riding report.....

Going to shave some weight of his bike with this fork and a Thomson Elite seatpost and Deore v-brake set (instead of a no-brand brake system which operates way to heavy for kids...)

mtbr member
    Axe: Did you buy the other Suntour fork? Care to disclose the source?
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Axe: Did you buy the other Suntour fork? Care to disclose the source?
    I did not. Seller never responded.

mtbr member
    I just ordered the RST F1RST Air from Germany. Hopefully will arrive in time for daughters first race this fall season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I look forward to seeing some weights and pictures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Spinner Air 24" just showed up today. Fork weight 3lbs 13oz which is about 1728grams

I screwed up on the fork weight conversion earlier so I fixed it, sorry. I will be emailing those

that requested one tomorrow.

Cheers
    Last edited by Demo9; 08-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    At last...next week I will meet my son and we can mount his new fork. So next week I will be able to share some expierences. I will take my scale along to weigh the fork with cut to fit steerer.

@Axe: that is sh%^%$ that the seller never responded...

WOW, that Spinner fork is really lightweight!! I have contacted the Spinner dealer in EU but he didn't have any 24" forks in stock....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo9 View Post
    Spinner Air 24" just showed up today. Fork weight 3lbs 13oz which is about 1420grams

I will be emailing those that requested one tomorrow.

Cheers
    I'd like info please.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Does anyone have any experience tuning the RST F1RST Air 24"? My son weighs about 65 pounds and his fork often doesn't fully rebound. I realize that I can put more air in, but when I do so, then the shock doesn't have much travel. Increase the rebound more? Anybody know how to set up this fork for a lightweight rider?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmather View Post
    Does anyone have any experience tuning the RST F1RST Air 24"? My son weighs about 65 pounds and his fork often doesn't fully rebound. I realize that I can put more air in, but when I do so, then the shock doesn't have much travel. Increase the rebound more? Anybody know how to set up this fork for a lightweight rider?
    Thanks.
    Mine is in the mail, but when I install it I'll let you know if mine behaves similarly and if I have any ideas what to do about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    First report of the Suntour XC-R lo. I have cut about 10cm off shaving about 50 grams of the 18XXgrams (see former post). The fork works very well. Pressure set on 80psi and that ofcourse is depending on weight of the rider.

With 80psi there is a real usable travel of about 2inches / 5cm. Better than the coil Suntour fork that came with the bike. The coil fork released only 1 inch on massive bumps. The coil had no sag were the airfork has a bit sag with the correct pressure.

Overall my son is very happy with his new fork. He had very little issues with his wrists on bumpy sections.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    First report of the Suntour XC-R lo. I have cut about 10cm off shaving about 50 grams of the 18XXgrams (see former post). The fork works very well. Pressure set on 80psi and that ofcourse is depending on weight of the rider.

With 80psi there is a real usable travel of about 2inches / 5cm. Better than the coil Suntour fork that came with the bike. The coil fork released only 1 inch on massive bumps. The coil had no sag were the airfork has a bit sag with the correct pressure.

Overall my son is very happy with his new fork. He had very little issues with his wrists on bumpy sections.
    Thanks for the info on the fork set up. How did you set up the rebound and with 80psi how much does your son weigh? At this pressure can he compress the fork by pushing down on the handlebars or just when he hits large bumps.

My son is 9 and weighs about 65 pounds and I'm running much lower air pressure with the belief (might be dead wrong), that he should be able to engage the shock by pushing down on the handlebars. To make this happen I'm using much lower pressure, but the fork sometimes sticks.

Thoughts or comments are welcome by any and all to help me tune this fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmather View Post
    Thanks for the info on the fork set up. How did you set up the rebound and with 80psi how much does your son weigh? At this pressure can he compress the fork by pushing down on the handlebars or just when he hits large bumps.

My son is 9 and weighs about 65 pounds and I'm running much lower air pressure with the belief (might be dead wrong), that he should be able to engage the shock by pushing down on the handlebars. To make this happen I'm using much lower pressure, but the fork sometimes sticks.

Thoughts or comments are welcome by any and all to help me tune this fork.
    I don't know this fork specifically, but with most forks you set them to have about 25% sag. That means that with the rider sitting with their full weight on the bike (legs up, someone holding them, helps to do this in a doorway so they can hold themselves up) the suspension will go down and stay at 25% below the top of the travel. So, if it is an 80mm travel fork it will sag 20mm.

Suspension Set-up Basics for the Beginner

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=Asmodeus2112;9664261]I don't know this fork specifically, but with most forks you set them to have about 25% sag. That means that with the rider sitting with their full weight on the bike (legs up, someone holding them, helps to do this in a doorway so they can hold themselves up) the suspension will go down and stay at 25% below the top of the travel. So, if it is an 80mm travel fork it will sag 20mm.

Just an FYI for anyone with this fork. I have increased the air pressure to 55psi for my son who weighs 65 pounds and have completed eliminated the sticking problem. This is good but don't seem to get the full 60mm travel due to the higher psi. I'm going to keep tuning it while he gains weight and will let you know if I see any other improvements.

Happy trails with you kids!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=gmather;9674629]
    I don't know this fork specifically, but with most forks you set them to have about 25% sag. That means that with the rider sitting with their full weight on the bike (legs up, someone holding them, helps to do this in a doorway so they can hold themselves up) the suspension will go down and stay at 25% below the top of the travel. So, if it is an 80mm travel fork it will sag 20mm.

Just an FYI for anyone with this fork. I have increased the air pressure to 55psi for my son who weighs 65 pounds and have completed eliminated the sticking problem. This is good but don't seem to get the full 60mm travel due to the higher psi. I'm going to keep tuning it while he gains weight and will let you know if I see any other improvements.

Happy trails with you kids!
    The fork for my daughters bike is in, sitting on the workbench for the moment though. Hopefully get it installed next weekend and see how the tuning goes. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have missed your post, i'm sorry.

I have not measured sag actually. I have put 100psi at first in the fork and went out for a ride. Since the fork did not give complete travel i have lowered the pressure. 80psi was just fine. There is a little sag and yes he can compress the fork just by 'rocking' the handlebar. At the end of the trail you can measure travel due to the dust collecting on the stanchions.

I have no clue what weight my son is.......

Axe
    Custom User Title
    The fork for my daughters bike is in, sitting on the workbench for the moment though. Hopefully get it installed next weekend and see how the tuning goes. Thanks for the info!
    This post is useless without pictures. On the scale, preferably.

mtbr member
    I did get a manual with mine, and here is a scan of the recommended air pressure plus a quick xl conversion of kg to lbs. 80 psi is way too much. I'm running about 35 for my 45lb daughter. Threre is a bit of sticktion that the low pressure cannot overcome which does prevent the shock form extending it final 2-3mm, but that's really inconsequential as the shock should be sagged. Pics of the fork on the bike and weights coming Axe, sorry for the delay been super busy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm talking about the Suntour XC-R-LO 24 not about the RST First. Sorry to have the data mixed up.... The Suntour seems to need a higher pressure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    I'm talking about the Suntour XC-R-LO 24 not about the RST First. Sorry to have the data mixed up.... The Suntour seems to need a higher pressure.
    I'm sorry, my bad. You stated that clearly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    IF these forks are air/oil you might consider using thinner oil, if that's at all possible.

What lighter oil does is move the whole response curve down to their weight. Then you should be able to raise the air pressure somewhat and get the fork working more like it was designed.

The bad news here is the rebound will probably be a little quick unless the forks have an external adjustment for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    IF these forks are air/oil you might consider using thinner oil, if that's at all possible.

What lighter oil does is move the whole response curve down to their weight. Then you should be able to raise the air pressure somewhat and get the fork working more like it was designed.

The bad news here is the rebound will probably be a little quick unless the forks have an external adjustment for that.
    The RST does have external rebound, so that might be an option. We're pretty happy at the moment though.

mtbr member
    Fork weighs 3.7lbs (~1680g). About a pound less than the POS it replaced. It makes the bike feel light up front, and it actually works! Air spring is tune able to my daughters weight, and with both compression and rebound adjustments it's reasonable tune able.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just wondering where did you order from?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast