Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Just wondering where did you order from?
    Yeah. Just spent 10 minutes searching da interwebz. Nada.

mtbr member
    Took about two weeks to arrive, but transaction went smooth. Picture is white, but schwarz is black)

RST F1RST Air 24" MTB Federgabel schwarz
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Asmodeus2112 - How much does that GF precaliber weigh? Sure your daughter doesnt need a bigger bike - Im dying to find a nice light 24" bike.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Took about two weeks to arrive, but transaction went smooth. Picture is white, but schwarz is black)

RST F1RST Air 24" MTB Federgabel schwarz
    Yeah, not in stock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Yeah, not in stock...
    Sorry, they do list a date of October 9th though. That's only a few days away.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Sorry, they do list a date of October 9th though. That's only a few days away.
    I am very surprised why the heck one can not just order one from QBP. RST is like everywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1 View Post
    Asmodeus2112 - How much does that GF precaliber weigh? Sure your daughter doesnt need a bigger bike - Im dying to find a nice light 24" bike.
    Right now it's 23.8 pounds. The wheels and freewheel/cassette weigh a ton though. I have bought rims, and am on the threshold of buying hubs/spokes/nipples this weekend... I'm hoping to get into the high 20 to low 21 pound range. Since I'm building some wheels I am researching going 1x10. X7 medium cage and wide range cassette. Not completely sure though.

I love the fork, it really changes the bike completely, highly recommend. Daughter is right in the zone on this bike, so I think she'll be riding it for another 18 months, sorry.

Her brothers XS Santa Cruz Superlight with it's slicks on... (It's a Juliana, but he doesn't know. As far as I know the Juliana is a Superlight but just available in XS-M where the Superlight is S-XL)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I am very surprised why the heck one can not just order one from QBP. RST is like everywhere.
    Yeah, I don't get it either. I feel your pain.

mtbr member
    Solid steel axles and nuts. These gotta go ASAP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice bikes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Considering the 1x10 with 34t ring and x7 12-36 as well. Out of curiosity, what were you considering running on the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strohpbs View Post
    Considering the 1x10 with 34t ring and x7 12-36 as well. Out of curiosity, what were you considering running on the front.
    Probably stick with a 32, but maybe move to a 34 as she grows. Although that might be the same time she'll be ready to move to a 26" bike. I really like the X7 medium cage derailleur I have on one of my bikes. I'm a bit worried about the short chainstays causing the chain to rub too much on a chainguard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I thik Ill end up with a Scott Scale JR (24") and replace the fork with the RST air 24, and address the other heavy stuff and I think - that will get me in the 22-23 range.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1 View Post
    I thik Ill end up with a Scott Scale JR (24") and replace the fork with the RST air 24, and address the other heavy stuff and I think - that will get me in the 22-23 range.
    ...bzzt..answered below before realizing you are talking about Scale and not Spark that I got.. anyways.

It could be a bit challenging to score an air shock for the rear. Took me a bit to get one directly from XFusion - don't think they make this size anymore.

Not sure where the weight is at this moment, have not finished the 9speed/ BB7 disk brakes conversion yet.

First thing to change - handlebars. One full pound for a handlebar. (replaced with a cut down flat carbon at under 100g). Seatpost and stem are also made of cast iron.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Not to hijack this thread but SR Suntour North America has the SF13 XCR LO 24 Air finally back in stock for the 2013 riding season. This should be a great fork and a good upgrade for any aspiring young rider looking to enjoy offroad riding/racing. Price has even come down to $179.99. Just thought it would be worth while to share.

Feel free to contact me or anyone else here about questions.

Nick
    360-737-6450
    nmoore@srusntouna.com
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hi All,

Not to hijack this thread but SR Suntour North America has the SF13 XCR LO 24 Air finally back in stock for the 2013 riding season. This should be a great fork and a good upgrade for any aspiring young rider looking to enjoy offroad riding/racing. Price has even come down to $179.99. Just thought it would be worth while to share.

Feel free to contact me or anyone else here about questions.

Nick
    360-737-6450
    nmoore@srusntouna.com
    Trying to find any documentation - what kind of a damper does it have?

mtbr member
    Hello,

It uses our all-in-one design cartridge that has a fixed rebound with air spring and hydraulic lockout.

nick

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    What's it weigh?

mtbr member
    1960g.

mtbr member
    Just bought the RST for my sons giant xtc Jr from bike-discount.com. I'll keep everyone posted on how long it takes to receive it.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Received the fork this past Friday. This is a very nice piece with smooth travel and alot of adjustability. It's also fairly lightweight. For anyone on the fence this is a great upgrade.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm going to try a differnt approach on my son's Hotrock 24. I decided to put a Rock Shox SID XC fork on the bike. I bought an entire bike off Craigslist for $70 to get the fork (cheaper than the fork alone off ebay). I am going to salvage the fork, bars, skewers and a new set of Avid V-brakes and levers off it. This fork is over a pound lighter than the RST fork.

For a brake I'm either going to relace the front wheel with a Deore hub and run an Avid BB7 or I'm going to relocate the pivots down and keep with the V-brake. I think I have enough adjusting room with the V-Brakes to use the Elevn or Bombshell brake adaptors they use on BMX bikes. I'll post some pics when I get it together.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckactor View Post
    This fork is over a pound lighter than the RST fork.
    Wow, 1150 grams for the Rock Shox fork??? That is one light fork as the RST fork comes in around as listed at 1,600 grams.

Nice score. Hope it works out for you.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Not that light. I think the SID fork is around 1420. Seems that the other weights are around:

RST is 1680
    Suntour 1860
    Spinner 1730

OK, so maybe a half pound lighter. Either way it looks lighter than any 24" option and is going to leave me enough money left over to get a new front hub and disk brake.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not that light. I think the SID fork is around 1420. Seems that the other weights are around:

RST is 1680
    Suntour 1860
    Spinner 1730

OK, so maybe a half pound lighter. Either way it looks lighter than any 24" option and is going to leave me enough money left over to get a new front hub and disk brake.

Chuck
    Yea but most important is what is the AC difference between the two?
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ac?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ac?
    Axle to Crown measurement. I just looked at a 2013 Fox 80mm 26 inch fork AC measurement as an example, it is about 1.8 inches taller than what I measured on the 24 inch Spinner air I have on my son's bike.

That is really going to effect how the bike handles.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 05-01-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A quick measurement shows the Rock Shox SID XC to be about 1-1/4" longer. To me, that's insignificant. It's already the shorter frame (11") so the standover should be fine and a little slacker geometry shouldn't hurt. Actually might help downhill a bit.

I think I decided to go with a new front hub and a disc. It gives me the excuse I need to learn how to build a wheel. Both my kids race BMX so they beat up some wheels.

mtbr member

Here is the fork on my son's Giant

As I mentioned, this is a great fork. Light and smooth and my son is really enjoying it. It's given him more confidence in the trails we ride. I also have the bike down to 26lbs which is much more manageable for him then when it came stock.
    RST F1RST Air 24"-20130513_211243.jpg

I also changed it out to a 1x7 and it's awaiting a new chain as you might be able to tell in the picture.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looking at putting an air fork on my son's Trek MT220. He was hitting the single track so hard the other day it blew the cheap dust covers right out of the stock M2025 Suntour forks. They seem to work as a cheap wiper and dust cover.

I tried emailing Nick at the email address he gave for Suntour about the Suntour Air fork but I got a bounce back.

Looks like the RST and Spinner both use alloy stanchions so those are probably why they are lighter.

Looks like my only option is getting the RST as I can't find any place to order the Spinner or Suntour. If anyone has some contact info for Spinner I would appreciate it.

They sell all kinds of these 3 manufacturers forks on eBay and Amazon. I am kind of surprised they don't have these 24" forks on those sites.

Looks like the RST will cost about $189 but I am wondering how much the shipping will cost?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
    Looking at putting an air fork on my son's Trek MT220. He was hitting the single track so hard the other day it blew the cheap dust covers right out of the stock M2025 Suntour forks. They seem to work as a cheap wiper and dust cover.

I tried emailing Nick at the email address he gave for Suntour about the Suntour Air fork but I got a bounce back.

Looks like the RST and Spinner both use alloy stanchions so those are probably why they are lighter.

Looks like my only option is getting the RST as I can't find any place to order the Spinner or Suntour. If anyone has some contact info for Spinner I would appreciate it.

They sell all kinds of these 3 manufacturers forks on eBay and Amazon. I am kind of surprised they don't have these 24" forks on those sites.

Looks like the RST will cost about $189 but I am wondering how much the shipping will cost?

You can try and see if lil shredders has any left. He is on here as Demo9 I believe. He imported 20 24 inch and 20 20 inch Spinners. He is where I got mine from.
    Home Page
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ordered my son a an RST first air for the xmas/birthday. The standard suntour XCM Jr wouldn't be so bad if they actually compressed under his weight but suntour don't supply any different springs for the forks which is pretty dumb.

I'm surprised the 24 inch market isn't better particularly with tyres and wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    here they are on my son's Carrera blast 24

RST F1RST Air 24"-p4pb10435943.jpg

RST F1RST Air 24"-p4pb10435939.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone willing to share how much they spent on shipping for the RST? Or since this thread is a year old, anyone ready to part with one?

Thanks
    Mark

mtbr member
    I think I paid around $200 from bike-discount.de
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Check with lilshredder.com. They still had some in stock last winter when I contacted them. That way you don't have to ship from outside the US.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks like you can get the Suntour Air Fork from France for a decent price.
    XXcycle - Fork Suspension Sr Suntour SF12 XCR LO 24 air 24 Black - en

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here is a current article on 24" air forks.
    Kids suspension forks | MTB mumblings

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I didn't pay postage since I'm in the EU but it should tell you on the site how much postage is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Anyone willing to share how much they spent on shipping for the RST? Or since this thread is a year old, anyone ready to part with one?

Thanks
    Mark
    Mark, I paid exactly $223 and some change shipped to Cali this past week. They shipped DHL and it arrived (3-4 days) faster than I receive packages from NY. Hope that helped. Also appears the EUR is up vs the USD conversion by a fraction from my date of purchase.

Happy trails-J

mtbr member
    Thanks man, did you get it from Bike discount?

Quote Originally Posted by firemanj92 View Post
    Mark, I paid exactly $223 and some change shipped to Cali this past week. They shipped DHL and it arrived (3-4 days) faster than I receive packages from NY. Hope that helped. Also appears the EUR is up vs the USD conversion by a fraction from my date of purchase.

Happy trails-J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Thanks man, did you get it from Bike discount?
    Yeah, sure did

Happy trails-J

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123