mtbr member
    Aug 2013

RS Reverb stealth with a trail-a-bike

Does anyone know if attaching a trail-a-bike mount/bike to the stationary portion of a Reverb dropper post will be ok or will it result in damage? I'm guessing the answer is don't do it but I'd really like to use my new bike with my son versus my 18 year old rigid when I hit the gravel rail trails... I didn't see anything on this on the SRAM website and didn't get any do's/don'ts when I bought the bike last year but intuition says this may prove to be an expensive pursuit...

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You could always get a second old seat and seatpost that you keep the hitch attached to, swap it out when you take the trail-a-bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thought about using a 2nd seat/post but don't think that is really practical due to the reverb's internally routed hose (I bought the bike with the seat on it so I have no real experience with installing these posts but it doesn't seem like they are able to be swapped in and out easily...)

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We looked into this and were told RS advises against it, but they're probably being conservative.

As far as switching them out, our shop said not to do with the Stealth my wife has and that if I tried it with my non-stealth to remove the whole system to avoid having to bleed the hydraulics every time.

I decided that if I got a trail a bike I'd just get an old hard tail to use it with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just have a regular RS Reverb (not the stealth), and I have pulled the trail-a-bike, and even someone behind the trail-a-bike for hundreds of miles on decent singletrack uphills and downhills with no problems. Still smooth as when I first got it, just has some more scratches on it than normal.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I just have a regular RS Reverb (not the stealth), and I have pulled the trail-a-bike, and even someone behind the trail-a-bike for hundreds of miles on decent singletrack uphills and downhills with no problems. Still smooth as when I first got it, just has some more scratches on it than normal.
    That's gonna make my wife happy. Do you mount yours above the collar then? I rarely see Reverbs with much more than an inch of lower post exposed so I'm assuming above the collar is the way to do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The trail-a-bike clamp mounts right above the seatpost collar. I don't get the full 5" drop anymore, but 3ish" is good for me. I have my height from seatpost collar to the top of the stationary part of the dropper post the exact height of the trail-a-bike clamp. The only problem I have, which would be slightly lessened if on a regular seatpost and could move the trail-a-bike clamp up, is that the trail-a-bike curved frame hits my 29" rear wheel when I am rolling down a bigger bump and my son is riding up it still. It really depends on what you ride, but we ride somewhat technical trails with this arrangement and besides that, it works good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Yep, use grip paste!

Quote Originally Posted by youngstrom View Post
    Does anyone know if attaching a trail-a-bike mount/bike to the stationary portion of a Reverb dropper post will be ok or will it result in damage? I'm guessing the answer is don't do it but I'd really like to use my new bike with my son versus my 18 year old rigid when I hit the gravel rail trails... I didn't see anything on this on the SRAM website and didn't get any do's/don'ts when I bought the bike last year but intuition says this may prove to be an expensive pursuit...

Thanks
    I have. I just filed the slot in the hitch a bit bigger so I could force it apart enough to slide the reverb hose through.
    I have had it on my regular reverb for 2 years, and on my command post too.
    Make sure you use carbon grip paste(fiberfix or other brand) so you don't have to over tighten the hitch.