mtbr member

riding while wheeling a spare bike?

My kids are 8 and 9 and we live close to their school, friends etc. I have started picking them up on bikes but it's a challenge on the trip over to roll the spare bike next to me while riding.
    I am getting better at this but would welcome techniques to improve my skills/concept. I am holding the spare bike's grip/brake closest to me and riding the other bike. It works best if I ride the smaller bike and wheel mine, and they are on 24's now so that easier. I would like to do this riding my own bike and 'muling' theirs but my seat is higher and it's hard to launch with one hand and managing their bike.
    There have been some very funny crashes, and a normal person would be embarrassed but I am committed.
    Can somebody school me on this?
    Thanks and have a great day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails riding while wheeling a spare bike?-kids_1.jpg  

riding while wheeling a spare bike?-kids_2.jpg  

Birdman aka JMJ
    How about a BOB trailer - secure the front wheels on the trailer bed and tow the bikes?

JMJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had success holding the stem of the other bike rather than the grip area. You can control the other bike's steering with one hand much easier. It is tough if the bars overlap and one bike is significantly smaller than the other. Though maybe not your preferred saddle position but I found starting up is easier if you are already seated when pushing off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Put a rear rack on your bike and lash the front wheels of the kids' bikes to either side of the rack. Or try to see if you can drop the front wheels on the kids' bikes into one of those Wald-style folding pannier baskets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    How about a BOB trailer - secure the front wheels on the trailer bed and tow the bikes?

JMJ
    That's a pretty good idea!!

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That's the exact same thing I do to pick up my kids. I have one on a 20" and one on a 24". I have actually ridden bikes like this for as long as I can remember. I hold the stem/bar. I can actually ride 3 bikes at one time if I am riding my hardtail.No hands on my bike and me holding their stems/bar. When I'm on my F/S the fork geometry won't let me ride no handed so 3 bikes ain't gonna happen. Keep trying, practice , practice practice. You'll get it!

I do have another way though.. On days I am not in the mood or in full work getup, I hitch up the trailer to the yard tractor and set the bikes in like the Dakine tailgate pickup pad... Works great.

mtbr member
    I was hold the closer grip but then I tried it yesterday holding the stem ...Seems like better control but the roller bike is closer and a bit scarier if something goes wrong. Those bashes into the pedals and drivetrain with my ankles hurt like heck..I will keep working on it!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've thought about how to do the same thing. I've got a junk kids bike trailer here and could easily mount something to it to carry my kids bikes. Just haven't done it yet.
    Another option is to get a couple cheaper beater bikes and ride with them to school, and just lock their bikes up there, then go meet them and ride home with them.

mtbr member
    I use a nylon strap as a shoulder strap through my kid's bike frame and sling it over my shoulder. I still need a hand to hold it steady, but the strap takes the weight.

Sent from a boring meeting using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Yeah, locking up the bikes at school is an obvious solution, but I work across town and can only do this when I can get out of work early, and I like to surprise them. I also "dual" it over to their friend's houses, etc.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails riding while wheeling a spare bike?-kidz_bk_1.jpg