mtbr member
    May 2014

Riding with family and other questions

What do you do when you want to try some sort of cross country riding but your wife has no desire to ride anything but flat trails? In fact my wife isn't really even into bike riding that much and I want to get into it more. She loves to walk with me more because she says we cannot carry good conversation when we are riding because I like to ride faster than her and we never stay close together. With young kids and busy schedules it seems like finding time to ride, other than around the block or to the store, is taking time away from something else. My wife and I have been talking, for the last couple years, about spending the day riding around the paved trail in council bluffs and around the old market but we haven't gotten around to doing it yet. At least this wife will ride. I couldn't even get my first wife to get off her butt and ride around town.

How do you guys balance time with family with this hobby when you want to go more extreme than any other family members?

Goat of Legend
    I have a wife and 2 girls ( 6 & 9).
    I tried to get my wife into mountain biking as well. It wasn't her thing and that's ok.
    Most of my rides consist of working around family time. I ride before work often getting up at 4-5am, getting 2-3 hrs and if I have free time during lunch I sneak out then as well.
    Most weekends I do the same and ride till 10am or so and maybe twice a month I go longer riding till 2-3pm.
    Usually once a week on Thursdays I meet up with the guys for a night ride.
    This past Friday I went on an overnight Bikepacking trip. I left the house at 8pm, rode to camp with a buddy and then came home yesterday morning by 10am. We got 40ish miles with almost 5,000 ft of climbing.

I ride with my daughters as they want to as well. I pull my 6 yo on a trail a bike. She's not very athletic and enjoys the trail a bike more then riding her own bike.

My oldest is another story. She loves to ride and often does 8-10 miles with me but......AT HER PACE. Not mine. Just like when riding with your wife, when you ride with your kids let them lead the pace. I do encourage but never push for them to try to ride a hill without stopping or to go a little faster but if you want to ride with family it has to be at a pace they like or most are turned off by riding with you and riding altogether.

mtbr member
    Find some like minded riders in the area and go ride. If times an issue try to get out early so you're back in time for the days family events.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    I have a wife and 2 girls ( 6 & 9).
    I tried to get my wife into mountain biking as well. It wasn't her thing and that's ok.
    Most of my rides consist of working around family time. I ride before work often getting up at 4-5am, getting 2-3 hrs and if I have free time during lunch I sneak out then as well.
    Most weekends I do the same and ride till 10am or so and maybe twice a month I go longer riding till 2-3pm.
    Usually once a week on Thursdays I meet up with the guys for a night ride.
    This past Friday I went on an overnight Bikepacking trip. I left the house at 8pm, rode to camp with a buddy and then came home yesterday morning by 10am. We got 40ish miles with almost 5,000 ft of climbing.

I ride with my daughters as they want to as well. I pull my 6 yo on a trail a bike. She's not very athletic and enjoys the trail a bike more then riding her own bike.

My oldest is another story. She loves to ride and often does 8-10 miles with me but......AT HER PACE. Not mine. Just like when riding with your wife, when you ride with your kids let them lead the pace. I do encourage but never push for them to try to ride a hill without stopping or to go a little faster but if you want to ride with family it has to be at a pace they like or most are turned off by riding with you and riding altogether.
    I can relate to this. Went with my wife today around a state parkand we had fun but I didn't fly through it. But heck we had fun anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My husband doesn't ride at all. I go out with my three year old during the day, my 7 year old in the evenings and myself (with friends) the occasional evening too. That'll do for now

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My wife won't mountainbike with me either. I take the kids, but only my 8 year old is really into it.
    Her and I go ride 5-10 miles occasionally, but she always leads. We ride at her pace (which is actually faster than some guys I ride with LOL)
    I still hope to get the wife out one day, but I don't push it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My wife will not ride either most of the time. I usually take my 10 and 13 year old boys out with me a few times a week. My 13 year is getting faster so I let him ride ahead and then he stops and waits for us to catch up. While we ride, my wife usually goes for a run or hike. We stop and turn around everyone once in a while and head back to meet her or have a set destination to meet up. I would love for her to ride with us, but she doesn't enjoy it so no sense in pushing the matter.

Slothful dirt hippie
    "When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." - Oscar Wilde

If your wives start really digging MTBing, YOU might be the ones left with the kids while she goes out and rips. Not only will your ride time be cut back, but so will your bike budget.

The next thing you know she's talking you into buying bikepacking gear. Vacations will soon skip motels and other nice places your co-workers enjoy in peace and relaxation entirely. Instead you'll be spending romantic evenings in the middle of a remote mountain range slathered in sweat and bug dope, checking each other for ticks, and talking about options for dealing with saddle sores before bundling yourselves into separate sleeping bags for the night. Time between vacations will be researching more gear or scouting new routes on various sites, maps, and Google Earth.

And nobody will be left to clean the house, which will devolve into a pit with bikes and other crusty, smelly, beat up outdoor gear filling it.

Not that I would know.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    "When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." - Oscar Wilde

If your wives start really digging MTBing, YOU might be the ones left with the kids while she goes out and rips. Not only will your ride time be cut back, but so will your bike budget.

The next thing you know she's talking you into buying bikepacking gear. Vacations will soon skip motels and other nice places your co-workers enjoy in peace and relaxation entirely. Instead you'll be spending romantic evenings in the middle of a remote mountain range slathered in sweat and bug dope, checking each other for ticks, and talking about options for dealing with saddle sores before bundling yourselves into separate sleeping bags for the night. Time between vacations will be researching more gear or scouting new routes on various sites, maps, and Google Earth.

And nobody will be left to clean the house, which will devolve into a pit with bikes and other crusty, smelly, beat up outdoor gear filling it.

Not that I would know.
    Pro tip: you can zip your sleeping bags together.

You're a lucky man.

My wife doesn't get into riding in a big way, but she's cool enough to support my obsession and deal with years of me disappearing into the woods on my bike and countless hours of trail building BS. I definitely think it would be great if it she was into it as much as I am, but any time she's willing to ride, I try to make sure to cater things to her level as much as possible. Hopefully, one of these days, it clicks. Even if that doesn't ever happen, I consider her (and a bunch of my other mtb friends' SOs) unsung heroes just for putting up with our little hobby...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You're a lucky man
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I love to use this one...
    Riding with family and other questions-nojja.jpg

Riding with family and other questions-nobro.jpg
    (P.S. The picture above is ironically just as an elk track peters out into what became an hour+ long schwackfest carrying bikes over snowbrush then shoving them on our knees under some swampy evergreens to get to an old logging spur. One of those best/worst adventures ever, lol)
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."