mtbr member

Wink riders down- food for thought...

We had some friends visiting last weekend. They have 8 years old twin boys who like to mountain bike. They get along quite well with my 7years old boy and 9 years old daughter. So we went for an afternoon of mtb on sunday. It was slippery and cold. Since it was a special occasion, I brought my gopro. We went to a trail system not too far from our city. To give you an idea, we did 12 km with 650 feet of altitude gain/loss so nothing extreme...

I was following my boy with the go pro filming in a nice section of trail that runs from a field then go down the side of the "mountain" (see in video from 32 to 45 secondes in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6I_Yy_PoR0)
    At the end, not shown in the video, there's a 180 degree berm going down maybe 15'. My son rode there before without problem. He controlled his speed then let go the brake to ovoid skidding in the turn but he cut to the inside of the turn at the beginning so no way I was gonna make it... Rookie mistake. So he went right at the apex of the berm and since it's steep, I was picking some speed... So he jumped the berm where it was still around three feet hight. No need to say he crashed real hard. The front wheel land with the bike at a 45 degree angle, my son in a superman position over the bike. He landed awkwardly with his neck twist and on his back at the same time... (no broken bone) Of course I could tell all that afterward cause I have it on the gopro...All the tyraps on the front brake hose exploded with the crash... He was able to shake it up (he's a tough kid!) and 10 minutes later we were able to resume our ride and we rode for one our after that.

At the end of the ride, my daughter lost her footing on pedals just before another berm. She told me she "forgot" to brake or turn because of that. She took some speed straight to the woods then OTB in the forest, face first with the bike on her back. Only bruises (and a 5" hematoma on her right tight) but you'll understand that it was a little bit too much for the father...

The fact that I have the first crash on the go pro really scares the shit out of me... I've look at the crash frame by frame and I'm so grateful that my son is ok, and that he still want to ride. At the moment I thought it was one of the worse crash that I've seen live. Now I can tell you it's number one for sure...

I know accident happens and it was 2 riding mistakes at places they rode before. But the end result could have been catastrophic. So I'm just trying to see what I can do to keep on riding in family in the safest condition... This winter I nearly pulled the trigger on two Bell Super 2 R for them and even checked for some kind of body armour but decided for our riding it probably wasn't necessary for now...

I have to say my kids are cautious while riding and I try to guide them riding just behind them and they listen very well. So I would like to ear from other parents, do you use some protection, any security tips, etc... Anyway just writing it down is therapeutic for me !!!

As for the rest of the day, we lost the twins for 25 minutes after they took a one-way trail but they said it was their greatest day of riding so it wasn't all bad!
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

aka: Bucky Fikes
    You might want to check your video link....or did we just get spammed?
    Always ride with a porpoise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    You might want to check your video link....or did we just get spammed?
    No the link is good... It's a promotional video of the trail system. Just to give an idea of the type of trail we were riding at the time of the accident... I guess I could post a screen shot to give an idea of the site of the crash...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Here you go... Just millisecond after lift-off... I doesn't really show but his front wheel is probably still 2 feet from the ground.
    riders down- food for thought...-image.jpg
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    As a father of 2 boys (ages 7 and 9) ... And a 42 year old survivor of an active lifestyle (dirt bikes, skateboards, skiing , snowboarding, mountainbiking) I have a few things that u have learned:

1: Teach them how to fall. They WILL fall doing activities.

2: Encourage them to take risks within reason. Give them the tools to test themselves and grow their range of abilities in a safe way.

3: They WILL get hurt.

Growing up skateboarding was all about managing injury. Learning how to fall. Debating how far to take yourself. I plan to teach my kids to know their limits, but also to not be afraid to push those limits. But some times, those limits will bite back. And as long as you push yourself, the chance of failing will always be there. But the reward is sometimes greater than the consequences.

At the age my boys are at, they are just now mastering the basics or mountainbiking. The next steps for me is to teach them more techniques. I will stop them in the trail to talk about the right way to approach certain obstacles.

If you are wanting to introduce activities like biking, then you have to accept that there is a chance for injury. But I am of the opinion that the value of the activity is much greater than the risk of injury.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For my 6 y.o., it's full face helmet, armor jacket, knee/shin pads and gloves for nearly every ride. Worth every penny. The helmet has almost certainly saved him from some dental work and the body armor has prevented countless scrapes and bruises.

Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    If you are wanting to introduce activities like biking, then you have to accept that there is a chance for injury. But I am of the opinion that the value of the activity is much greater than the risk of injury.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Glad your boy is ok!! I'd like to see the video of the incident though. I took my boy out yesterday and he had a spill but only cut his knee up. I actually stop the ride before each feature and give him a quick lesson on how to negotiate. His biggest thing is wanting to go too fast, but I had to stop him numerous times and remind him anybody can go fast, but that person will also hit a tree, its about being in control of the bike. We are pretty fortunate to have a nice wooded trail system with ,mild to wild features (mainly mild to moderate) within 5 minutes of our door. So I'm trying to take him there as often as possible now to take advantage of the teaching moments while he's still young and will listen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ok, so my six year old son has so far broken his thumb (quite a bad break through the growth plate at the bottom of his thumb) and his collar bone riding. Both breaks were results of crashes on the BMX track - the first clipping a pedal in a berm on the pump track at home and the second jumping at the race track.

He also rides in the bush a lot the best thing we have done to prevent injuries is insist that he wear his full face helmet for anything other than street/path riding. He also wears his elbow and knee pads in the bush - have saved many tears - and body protection on the bmx track. We get a few weird looks and "bubble wrap" comments in the bush but he loves it - his full face helmets are his helmet of choice - he even wears his in the skate park sometimes and it has saved his teeth and face many times (he is on his 4th full face helmet). I am quite sure that wearing the full face helmet does not make him take more risks - he would be taking them anyway, the extra protection is just extra insurance and when he does come off it makes rides much more pleasurable and it prevents lots of tears and allows him to laugh it off and keep riding.

mtbr member
    Last year my 9 year old broke his wrist while mountainbiking. I say "while mountainbiking" because we were half way around a 9 mile loop when - while taking a break - he decided to jump from a picnic table to a tree branch. His grip slipped and he broke his right radius. I had to flag down a van to take us back to the car, then retrieve our bikes, then to the ER. He needed surgery and pins to get it to set. He spent the whole summer in a cast.

"Life is what happens to you while youíre busy making other plans."
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Full face helmets also saved us a lot of pain and money.

The entire video and the pic of your son are like an advertisement for learning to ride with a lowered saddles.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.