Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    My solution was grip shift length ODI Ruffian lock-ons. Small diameter for little hands and the length is short enough to fit on the fairly short section of straight bar. I'd rather have the big rubber pads of the stock grips in the case of a crash where the bar turns sideways and a potential bar-end to the spleen, but he'd always drop his bike on the ground and shred the end of his grips anyway.

Topic drift: has anyone swapped out the brake levers for something shorter? As they stand, they're 4-finger levers. I was thinking about putting on some old LX levers I have -- just about the shortest v-brake levers I know of.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    Topic drift: has anyone swapped out the brake levers for something shorter? As they stand, they're 4-finger levers. I was thinking about putting on some old LX levers I have -- just about the shortest v-brake levers I know of.
    I agree, the brake levers that come with the banshee are too long. I removed these from my daughter's bike immediately after buying the bike and ordered some shorter 2-finger tektro brake levers, so that my daughter can use 2 finger braking and keep more of her hand on the bars. 4-finger braking takes their little hands off the bar and is just asking for a crash. It's strange that Spawn would spec these 4-finger levers on the Banshee, because some of Spawn's other bikes have these shorter 2-finger levers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just an update to an old thread.
    Both my Children are on Banshees right now, my eldest has gotten a FULL three seasons out of the bike. She is STILL too small to ride a 20 inch bike (opus thumper or Kona Makena)

I do not know if she will fit it until spring, but I just bought her a Savage.
    She rode the bike from 4 years old until 7 years old.

Her little sister was on it at 3 years old. I hope it will last her until 6 years old.

They are not hardcore kids, but they used the bikes, and loved them.

Upgrades to the bikes.

-one set of Schwalbe mad mike tires
    -One set of Kenda k50
    -One AcS Crossfire 15T freewheel (the used bike had the freewheel destroyed) and 15T freewheel was better anyway. I know it was better to replace the chaining, but the chain ring did not need replacing.

This video was from this year, my eldest is nearly too big for the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One more video from a proud dad,

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by northernblades View Post
    Just an update to an old thread.
    ... my eldest has gotten a FULL three seasons out of the bike. She is STILL too small to ride a 20 inch bike (opus thumper or Kona Makena). I do not know if she will fit it until spring, but I just bought her a Savage.
    Thanks for sharing the videos... Fun! Riding with your own kids amongst nature is truly a rewarding feeling.

Your eldest might find the Savage to be a good fit - she looks tall enough from what I can see. My 5 yr old son is 42.5" tall (18" inseam) and rides a Savage 2.0 with the seat up about 1". He was riding it back when he was 40.5" tall but at that time needed a stool to get on and had to drop the bike in order to get off Perhaps that might help you gauge what is potentially possible.

He still rides his Banshee too once in a while, with the seat up to the max. We rushed to move up to the Savage since the 10 speed is invaluable for riding XC trails.

A fun video on the Banshee, along with little bro on the Hotwalk...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sizing questions seem to pop up a lot so here's some pics that might help people. I have collected 3 Spawn bikes in roughly 3 years - hoping the Savage lasts longer than 1 year! Your kids' mileage may vary significantly.

• Furi (3.3 - 4.0 yrs old)
    • Banshee (4.0 yrs old - 5.3 yrs old)
    • Savage 2.0 (5.0 yrs old - present)

The Banshee isn't really indicative of a stock setup since the Spinner Grind Air fork mod raises the head tube by several inches so the bike stands really slack. With a flat bar instead of the BMX style raised bar, the final height of the grips off the ground is about 3/4" higher than stock. But the cockpit sizing is very close to stock.

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-img_20160805_235054-1600x900.jpgReview of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-img_20160805_235235-1600x900.jpgReview of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-img_20160805_235245-1600x900.jpgReview of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-img_20160805_235256-1600x900.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As size is being discussed here. IMHO the FURY is too small to be justifiable.
    By the time a child has "outgrown" their balance bike, they either already fit, or will soon fit a Banshee.

If you want to put them on a fury for 3 months, while they get accustomed to a pedal bike on a smaller frame that is a choice. However it is not difficult to get a Child at as young as 3 years. I personally found the Fury to be too small to be worth the purchase.

At this size they still love to play with the balance bike, and still love their balance bike. The Banshee is not too big. They just have some learning and adjusting to do.

(edit)
    I picked up the 2.0 savage today. ran me $750
    First off OMFG is it tiny. When compared to the other 20 inch bikes
    kona Makenna, Opus thumper. the Savage is a TINY bike, like ITTY BITTY.

I was going to hold off and give it to her for Christmas. but that will be 3 months that she could have been riding it. I am sure it is by far and away the SMALLEST 20 inch bike on the market.

the design is beautiful.

I also found frog bikes recently. Pretty nice looking bikes, but they are the same price as the spawn bikes. If you are going to pay for a spawn, get a spawn.
    Last edited by northernblades; 08-06-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Aonal information

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My son started last spring on the Spawn Tengu run bike at 3 years old and I immediately put on off road rubber so he could ride singletrack with me. He is small and this spring I got him a Furi and it has been the perfect transition bike for him. Of course now the seat height is maxed but he shreds singletrack and only has to walk his bike up the steeper climbs. The smaller bike being lighter and more agile has really helped him with his bike handling skills so the Furi is a worthwhile bike for some kids.

I know he could easily ride the Banshee now because he can ride his brother's old Norco 16"er but will wait till next spring to see how he sizes up for his next Spawn.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567