Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    They should add in the wholesale cost of a coaster hub wheel, plus the extra shipping, and then just ship the U.S. bikes with both wheels in the box. I can't imagine it'd be that much different in cost, it's a kid's wheel.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Is Spawn able to export Banshee's into the states without a coaster brake? Looking at the Norco Scorpion image closely online and it appears that it comes with both a coaster brake and a V brake. I just can't see spending more money and having a high friction coaster brake when I already have one here.
    Spawn states on their site that the consumer is solely responsible for all input duty and legal requirements. The only issue I've heard of them having is with the Gremlin, and that's a trademark issue with Schwinn (who also sells a bike called a gremlin).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Derp! I was confusing bikes. I thought since I bought our Banshee they went to a coaster brake for the US, but that was not the case
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tkavan01 View Post
    Attachment 835304

quite a bit of dish required.
    Tkanvan01,

Did you ever try to do this? I am seriously thinking about trying to do it now, and even though it will be a helluva amount of dish, my 35# son should be alright, and I'll have to limit him to only 5' high jumps to flat landings.

Did you have to spread the stays out to get the hub in?

From your picture it looks like there could be some interference with the V-brake bosses on the non driveside spokes, does it look like that to you?

What kind of hub is that? I just did a quick search for a bolt on rear hub, and didn't find much.

Thanks for any info - BS

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Tkanvan01,

Did you ever try to do this? I am seriously thinking about trying to do it now, and even though it will be a helluva amount of dish, my 35# son should be alright, and I'll have to limit him to only 5' high jumps to flat landings.

Did you have to spread the stays out to get the hub in?

From your picture it looks like there could be some interference with the V-brake bosses on the non driveside spokes, does it look like that to you?

What kind of hub is that? I just did a quick search for a bolt on rear hub, and didn't find much.

Thanks for any info - BS
    I tore apart an XT mtn bike hub, removing the lock nuts to get it to fit, I did not go any further bc it seemed stupid to continue, as soon as you add the rear cassette the locking cap part interfered with the frame. I did debate cutting the rear hub and taking a small section out of the middle and rewelding it, but I don't have access to an aluminum welder so i skipped that idea as well, maybe I should rethink it though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got a Gremlin finally!! Just had it shipped to a buddy in Calgary who then shipped it on down to me....

It's great, my son who will be 3 in about 2 more months spent about ten minutes walk-riding it last night like he does on his balance bike, then about 20 minutes this afternoon doing about the same before he pedaled away from me under his own power...so cool!!!

He's always been in the 50th percentile for his height and weight, so one thing I did to modify his a little was to swap out the seat and seatpost for a smaller/lower seat from his big sister's Islabike, and a plain seatpost with the separate old school seat rail clamp that can be flipped upside down to get the seat as low as it would go so he can tippy toe while seated...next up some 2.125 tires for his birthday in a couple months!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Anyone hear anything about when the new Banshees will start shipping? Getting close to the end of the month!
    Well, mine hasn't shipped yet ;( Max at Spawn told me a couple weeks back that it all depends on when the parts arrive through customs... here's hoping that all gets settled soon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just got notification that the new Banshee has been "Completed." No tracking number, so presumably it will ship out in the next couple of days. I'll get you some photos when it shows up (next week, I assume)...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for starting this post BullSCit, it was a major contributor to us buying this bike.

Speaking of which, we ordered the banshee in Oct, it showed up today. YAY! Now I have to wait until kiddos birthday in January to give it to him.

Is it January yet?

Spencer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And then wait till may for the snow to melt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by northernblades View Post
    And then wait till may for the snow to melt.
    That's what gloves are for!

Apparently, my banshee shipped 7 day instead of 2 day... Should show up Thurs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Banshee finally showed up today, after 9 days with no scans from USPS. Box was damaged, and the powercoat on the cranks was scratched, but fine otherwise. Went together smooth as silk, just like the Gremlin, and the new lower seat is JUST low enough for my 4yo. By spring I'll probably be able to bump it up a bit. Hopefully it'll warm up enough that she can get out to give it a test ride soon.

Now to hope the 2yo grows enough for the Gremlin by March.

mtbr member
    What color is that? I doesn't appear on the Spawn website currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm3 View Post
    Just an update to our Spawn. I added a 3 spd freewheel to give a better range of gearing and prep her for the next bike. I used an SRAM X7 der and SRAM twist shifter i had laying around. Works great
    Attachment 800181Attachment 800182

mtbr member

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)

Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    What color is that? I doesn't appear on the Spawn website currently.
    Its was the pink color offered on the V1 Banshee. I just looked at the site and I guess they are not offering it for the V2

mtbr member

Darn. Pink would be the easy choice for my girl. It looks great too.
    G
    Last edited by fire_strom; 01-06-2014 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger today on a blue one!!! I am way more excited than she is but I expect that will equalize once it's here and she's rocking it. It might be a tiny bit big at first. She rode a HR16 in the store the other day and with the seat slammed could just touch the ground with the tips of her shoes.

Thanks everyone for chiming in about these. Very inspirational and influential.

I wonder if I can lace a IGH hub into the rim...

-G

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Congrats, fire_storm. I hope that you and your daughter enjoy it!

My 4yo had a rude awakening last week. She insisted on going out to ride on the banshee despite ice and snow. When the tire slipped out from under her due to black ice she had no idea what just happened. Poor her.

Oh, well. She's still looking forward to getting back on it in better weather.

mtbr member

Bummer. Hope she isn't too shaken. It's great isn't it how kids don't know that bad weather and dicey conditions are bad until we convey it. Every morning that I'm taking her to "school" I ask if she wants to ride her bike or take the truck, she choices to ride her bike. Pouring rain, dumping snow, sub freezing temps, whatever, the weather doesn't seem to be a factor. That's the kind of exuberance and innocence we parents need to re-learn and not un-teach. Fine line between the safety and living. I lean towards living. But always with a helmet.
    :-)
    -G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    She rode a HR16 in the store the other day and with the seat slammed could just touch the ground with the tips of her shoes.

-G
    I ended up swapping the seat and seatpost to get the top of the seat about another 1" lower. The seat that Spawn uses has pretty profile from the rails to the top of the seat, so be looking for another seat with lower-profile (I used the islabikes seat off his sister's bike which is both small overall as well as lower profile)....and the seat post is a regular MTB single bolt offset post which is fine BUT if you go with a seatpost with the old style clamp that is separate from the post (like found on most all dept store bikes) you can flip the clamp so the thru-bolt that holds it together is above the rails and drop the height lower. each mod gains about a half-inch independent of each other....hope this helps!

mtbr member
    It will, thanks. I remember reading your post on this a while back. I'd forgotten it though. I think I might have the parts on a big box store bike that would work.
    Thanks again-
    G

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    also, a mini bmx seat and shim gets it close to an inch lower.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone else noticed that Schwalbe has a 16" Big Apple Tire?? I'm thinking that it might be a nice upgrade for our blue Banshee if/when we need some new tires. On the other hand, the tires that come with it are fairly slick. I wonder how much difference it would make...

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I would say the extra 1/2" will make it a lot softer on the bumps. I run 2.35 big apples on my street bike, and I love the Cush. They roll plenty fast and are semi thorn resistant.

I just wish black jacks would restock.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    What size pedals are these? 9/16" or 1/2"?
    Thanks!
    -G

mtbr member
    Oh and, enter the FURI!!!
    They changed the name of the Gremlin to be able to import into Schwinnland USA.
    -G

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast