Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks ya'll. I think I'll just put I different size freewheel on the flip flop hub. I'll have to look into what size is best.

My son is 4.5 years old and will just barely fit this bike. He is quite a little guy and grows slow so I think we will have this thing for quite a while. I rides really well but was getting discouraged with his crappy rei 12 inch bike that weighed as much as him. I can't blame him. hopefully this works out well. I'll post pics when we get it.

BTW, how long did Spawn take to ship? I haven't really gotten any communication other than an email that they recieved my order.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    the banshee took almost a month, but i DID order it right around x-mas.

the savage took maybe 10 days, but i think it was more like a week. it arrived ALOT quicker than i expected.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ok thanks. Did they send you a tracking number or anything? Or let you know that it had shipped?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Not even a hint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I pre-ordered a new banshee. After I noticed on their website that the order had been processed/shipped with no tracking label I used their contact page. Max said that CanadaPost was supposed to have sent a shipping notice, but he found me a tracking number regardless.

2 weeks later, after the bike arrived, I found the CanadaPost tracking notice in my google Spam folder. They sent it at the right time... I just didn't see it.

mtbr member
    Mine took about five days to get to California. I got a tracking number as soon with my email stating my order was complete.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Hopefully the mtb god is smiling on me when I order a furi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ordered a Savage 1.0 last week for my 5 year old son. Gotconfirmation and tracking number for Purolator from Spawn. The bike went from BC to Seattle and is making it's way across the USA now, estimated delivery is March 26, hopefully without any more fees.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    Hopefully the mtb god is smiling on me when I order a furi.
    My oldest got a Gremlin last summer... absolutely KILLER Bike. I hope yours loves the Furi as much.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Actually, I sourced some 85mm cranks (custom), and she can ride the banshee, tho the q-factor is atrocious. Gonna pick up some 89mm from spawn when they come in.

That, coupled with a set of hope/gordos for my 29er, means no furi.

But she gets better everyday on the banshee.

Once again, THANK YOU SPAWN CYCLES!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My son's savage 1.0 20" arrived yesterday and I was more excited than when my Yelli frame arrived in 2012. What a great looking quality frame, the pictures on Spawn's site do not do it justice. Got it assembled and he rode it for fit for 10 minutes in the rain. When the weather improves will post some pictures.

If you are on the fence about one of these, don't worry--it's even better in-person and worth the extra money.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I was surprised when I saw the chainstay yoke on the savage.

That frame is made for serious work.

I'm looking forward to the 24".

Motion activated
    I want to order up a Banshee for my daughter, but all the colors except red are out of stock. We really want to get her the pink if the wait isn't too long (1-2 weeks).

I send spawn an email but no reply yet.

Anyone know the deal? Or does anyone have a good pic of the red color (is it a candy red?) - there is nothing on their website.

These spawn bikes look perfect! My daughter is already used to handbrakes on her OSET electric moto, so I'm over the moon that I can get her a light bike with no coaster brakes!!
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Steve,

I would recommend trying their web contact form, not eMail. Any time I've tried to reach them in the past I got a reply within 24 hours off the web form, but never from eMail. Their spam filter must not like my eMail address...

Motion activated
    I used their web contact form (not email - sorry my bad). Guess I should be more patient, it's only been 20 hours.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Always possible they're swamped... they have the revamped Gremlin/Furi coming out any day now. But slow response is probably the one thing that I'd give them a minus on, alas. Wish they had a phone number... or a US dealer who could contact them for you.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I think it depends on where they are in the delivery cycle.

If they don't respond, they're probably building bikes.

+1 to the -1 for communication.

Words really starting to take off about them. I think they are on the cusp of expanding (just my guess), and that's always a rough transition.

Here's hoping for an idaho shop to pick them up.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    They responded on my Facebook inquiry in about 3 hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    I was surprised when I saw the chainstay yoke on the savage.

That frame is made for serious work.

I'm looking forward to the 24".
    Right, on! I looked it over and told my wife the frame quality is like my bikes. I am so glad that I didn't settle for a boat anchor Trek or Specialized with useless "suspension" fork and that didn't fit as well.

There was a gamble with fit buying the Savage online but the frame design and that the seat drops down so far provides for a wide range of sizing. The fit range allows for my son to essentially sit only slightly higher than he was on his older 16" wheel balance bike, easy for him to touch the ground to dismount. there's no way he'd get that on a 20" specialized or Trek.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Successful 3-speed Banshee conversion

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-banshee.jpg

Thanks to this thread and some help from Spawn, the above picture is my 5 year old's 3-speed Banshee. I was able to use the original handle bars (the X-5 shifter just barely fits between the bend in the bars and the brake lever).

The complete parts list for the 3-speed conversion is:
    1) SRAM X-7 short cage 9-speed derailleur (with longer stop screw)
    2) Problem Solver Chain Tensioner with Derailleur Hanger
    3) SRAM chain
    4) SRAM X-5 9-speed rear shifter
    5) Cable housing and zip ties
    6) 16,19,22 3-speed "scooter" rear freewheel

Unfortunately, screwing in the (custom/long) "low" stop screw far enough to stop the chain from derailing inward also interferes with the throw to the high gear, so the derailleur can over-shift. I would need to modify the derailleur cage to create something for the screw to hit against. As it is now, he can over-shift and throw the chain off of the low gear, but he can't shift into the spokes thanks to the shifter being in the lowest gear (it can't pull the cable any farther).

I also replaced the front chain ring with a 24T granny gear (required new bolts/spacers). The 24T/22T low gear is low enough he can get up a surprising number of hills. Lower would be better, but it's a balance with the high gearing for the flats.

I'll keep dreaming that Spawn will someday make a 7-speed or 9-speed 16" bike, but until then, this is a great setup.

Thanks to all who posted about their 3-speed conversions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just wanted to share the latest modifications to my sons Banshee. Got the bike last spring- and added a new flipflop hub with 3 speeds and derailleur. The extra gears definitely helped him cover more trail with less walking, but the spread just wasn't big enough to offer significant help for climbing. So this spring I added a 2nd chainring. Now he has a 22 tooth inside the original 29(?) tooth. Went with thumb shifters as he didn't like the grip shifts on his brothers bike. I tried just running the 22 tooth as a single chainring, but he would redline on flat ground/driveway riding with his friends and get frustrated. While he isn't comfortable shifting on the fly yet, we can put it in the 22 tooth for trail riding, then click to the 29 tooth for downhills or flat bike paths. Going from 22 to 29 has had much more impact than the small difference available in the 3-speed free hub/cassette. This thread has been a HUGE help in my project, hope my post/picture might inspire or assist others in their efforts. My son just turned 6, but is only 37 pounds dripping wet with a full stomach. He has the balance and skills to rip up the trails, but his small size makes the hill climbing tough. And here in Vermont, you can't really go anywhere without some climbing. I know there isn't much of a market for 16" bikes with 7+ speeds in back, but room for a wider hub/cassette would be nice in my situation. After a year of backyard wrenching on the Spawn, I'm still super impressed with their quality design and manufacturing. Everything has held up to my ham-fisted adjustments and wrenching.

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-banshee3.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That is inspiring, FreeHeel!

I'm in a similar situation with my 5.5 year old being a little guy with enough coordination/skill to ride a 1x9 or 2x10 bike, everywhere we ride is hills, but he's not big enough to fit a 20". Before doing the 3-speed Banshee conversion, I thought that a 2x setup up-front would be better ("one climbing gear and one for-the-flats gear), but I wasn't sure how to execute it. A few questions:

1) How did you attach the 2nd chain ring, correct spacing, etc?

2) Can you post close-up pictures of the chain ring setup?

3) Any tips on front derailleur type?

4) Which 3-speed freewheel did you use? There are a few different size options out there. The lowest gear combo I found is the 16,19,22.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hi Fireswamp, the 22-tooth chainring attached quite easily. I had some slightly longer chainring bolts kicking around, and just by luck had some washers that must have been designed for the purpose, because they separated the two chain rings so that it shifts just fine. I wish I had some exact dimensions to give you, but since they were just in the spare parts box in my basement from some previous bike I don't know the exact sizes. They almost certainly came off a old mountain bike of mine- nothing special. The front derailleur came out of the same box- I think it is just a top pull LX. I also had some plastic wedges/spacers that went around the seat tube to make the derailleur fit. Re: the 3-speed freewheel, I got the one that others had mentioned earlier in this thread. I can't remember the name, but I'll see if I can find it in my Amazon/Ebay account and let you know. I'll snap some more photos and count the teeth when I get home tonight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wonder if you could respace the frame to 120mm, if you could find an old 5/6-speed freewheel hub. E.g. Shimano has a 14-28T 6 speed freewheel cassette, if you could find the hub to go with it.

I wonder if you can re-space an aluminum frame the way you can a steel one...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Fireswamp, sorry for the delay... hectic week. I did buy the Como 16-19-22 freewheel off Amazon. In my opinion it is the weak link here- it is heavy and has a fair amount of drag. What can you expect for $10? I notice it every time I back pedal his bike to clean the chain, or turn the pedals with my hand to shift gears for him. As I've thought more about this, I think if I did it all over again I'd keep the stock Spawn hub in back and try a 2 chainring set up in front. I think you might be able to find a 20 tooth ring, and then use the stock 29. I spent a lot of time and about $25 to buy a 29 tooth that was advertised as being "ramped and pined" because I thought it would help in shifting from the 22 up to the 29. Most 28 and 29 tooth rings are designed to be on the inside most position- not middle ring. Orgin8 had one that the website said was ramped and pinned- I found one on ebay, but when it arrived it had no ramps/pins. So I ended up using the ring that came on the bike and it shifts just fine. Lesson learned. The clamp on cable stop for the front derailleur came from Orgin8, 28.6mm. It was super simple- works fine. As for the chainring spacers- as I said I just got lucky that what I had worked. I'm guessing they came off an old 3 ring LX or XT crankset I had, bolts and spacers. I think I had to put the bolts in from the frame size, due to diameter of the nut and how it has to fit in the holes inthe chainrings- so if you can't get it to work from the crank arm side just try from the other direction. Re: the front derailleur, it is just a top pull LX. You will need some shims/spacers to fill out the space from the smallish seat tupe to the inside diameter of the derailleur clamp. If you buy it new you'll probably get what you need in the box- or your LBS can probably find in in the box of extras.

Hope that helps, good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-image.jpg  

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-image.jpg  

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    Is this a 1" headset, threadless? What size seatpost does it take? Thanks.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    1 1/8.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For those ordering for the US, did you have to pay a duty on top of shipping? Which shipping method?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I went with Canada post express, and did not have to pay duty. I've heard others say that UPS did result in a customs fee.

mtbr member

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)

Ditto.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Im pretty sure ups ground was my only option for the savage.

No duties on banshee or savage.

Ymmv.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks to all. Placing order today. They are backordered until late June, so fingers crossed for a speedy delivery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Amom View Post
    For those ordering for the US, did you have to pay a duty on top of shipping? Which shipping method?

Thanks
    My Savage was shipped by Purolator, which may have become UPS in the U.S.? I don't recall who showed up at the door. There were no additional shipping charges or taxes when it arrived. It travelled from Vancouver BC to Fairfax, VA, in about 2 weeks, maybe a little under that, ground shipping.

What kind of bottom bracket is this, 68 threaded English? Mine (er...his) Banshee is on its way and I'm already thinking about upgrades. It's an illness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Does anyone know the hub width of the first gen Banshee? Is it 110mm like the new Banshee?

I'm sort of thinking i might try to get an IGH if I can find one in the correct width. I forget if I've read in this thread if anyone tried this or not.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Thats a darn good idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just took a look, and Sturmey-Archer has some 5 speed IGHs at 111mm; I can't see that 1mm would be a problem anywhere...

S-RF5(N)
    • 5 Speed low flange, internal gear hub without brake (freewheel)
    • Available in either 119mm or 111mm over locknut
    • Now available with a 9 spline driver
    • New wide gear ratio of 256%

EDIT: Darn; now I want to get one for my daughter...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yep, Sturmey Archer is what I found! They list that 5 speed 111mm OLD and a three speed hub with 108 mm OLD. Spoke hole count is different but I'm assuming that's the existing rim will be ok given that they are just lightweight little kids.

grip shift and trigger shifter available for both the five and the three speed.

my bike shop is looking into sourcing the bits for me and getting me pricing info and they will let me know, I will post up the results if it is successful!

Edit: many typos due to voice typing on cell phone
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Please do, XJaredX... although I must note that, once again, you are tempting me to spend money on bicycles! My daughter's birthday is in August; Maybe I'll get a new wheel laced up for her as a birthday present. Only problem I can see is fitting the shifter on the stock bars, since she already has a bell on there. Maybe I can move the bell to her left side, and have it work backwards...

WHat's the gear range on the 3-speed hub? The 5-speed was somewhere around 250%, which is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm having trouble scrolling the specifications window on my phone but I think it is 177% for the three speeds. I'll keep you updated even if it is a failure, lol
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

I got a Banshee last night, took it apart, and weighed each component. Hey, I'm a weight weenie at heart. If you're interested, I posted it in the WW forum: Spawn Cycles Banshee 16" weights

Frame = 1081g or 2.4 lbs

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-yraje8et.jpg
    Last edited by split; 06-13-2014 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    XJaredX: You win.

I have asked my LBS to spec an SRF-5 16" wheel for me. We'll see if they can source the part... The only US website that lists the 111mm hub is Bike Tools etc., and it is out of stock at the moment. Per eMail, they will not have more for "several months." Here's hoping my LBS can see about squeezing one out of UBS or another distributer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Haha! I was just at my LBS for something unrelated after asking them yesterday to search for a hub, and they aren't having any luck either. This might be tricky!
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am exploring the idea of ordering (gasp) direct from China if my LBS can't find anything.

Place that will drill a 28 hole 16" rim:

Online Shop 16" Aluminum alloy bicycle rims,Colorful Anodized/Powder coating Available, Free Shipping!|Aliexpress Mobile

...and eBay China has wheels built with the SRF5 (for a Brompton) but I am unsure if the rim width is acceptable. And unsure if I am confident enough in trusting eBay China
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Or just wait until they come in stock again at BTE? Can't hurt to email and ask them about it...

Personally, I wouldn't trust ebay china (without living in china)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Instead of eBay China, I'd pay the premium to get it from SJS Cycles in England. $50 more than ordering from a US distributer, but a reputable company instead of a foreign-country eBay? Simple question to me.

Sturmey Archer 5 Speed SRF5

Just make sure you get the 28 hole version...

Couple that with a 28h wheel like This one from Niagra Cycle, and you should be good to go for $300 or so. (Just need spokes and wheel-building)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oooh, thanks, that helps! I'd rather not go the asian route unless I absolutely have to.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I rode a Rohloff 14 gear Speedhub for 5+ years on a 42# all-mountain Santa Cruz Bullit, and there is no way I would put something like that on my kid's bike. It was heavy, and it was so inefficient with so much drag. I went from barely hanging on a pedally ride with a buddy, to squashing him the next week when I went back to a conventional drivetrain with everything else the same on the Bullit. Range is awesome, but efficiency is much more important, especially for little guys/gals. My 3.5 year old is about ready to start riding the Banshee, and I'm going to get rid of the crappy 3 speed rear, and go to the 2 speed front FreeHeel talks about above. Would much rather prefer to put a real rear hub and cassette on back, but it's all about compromises.

Where are you guys sourcing your 16" rims from? I need one in black.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast