Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just put in an order for a Bright Blue Banshee (The B bike, apparently). Should arrive just in time for Christmas if they hit their expected shipping date. My oldest is adament that her next bike be a "Skull and Pedal" bike too. She absolutely LOVES her Gremlin.

Can't wait to see what people think of the new Savage!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I know most kids don't need a conventional 9/10 speed drivetrain at 2-4 years old, but it sure would be nice. Any idea how to fit a conventional 9/10 speed hub into this?
    Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-20130920_231746.jpg

quite a bit of dish required.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I just bought a Spawn Banshee for my DD. I hope it all works out can admit a little bit scared. I got it for $180 Sight unseen.
    I know I know, really bad Idea.
    But it is done, I had a it picked up out of town. It was seen by someone else, but at 180, they did not have to be terribly picky.

sounds like I am replacing, either and or both tires, at least 1 set of break pads. I do not even have the thing in the house yet.

I am not sure if I am wanting to replace the tires with MTB tires right away, or leave her with the slicks for on road (as I am sure she is a full year/2 years away from the trails)

any suggestions for tires? the commuter/hybrid style? or mtb style?
    anyone know what the original brand is on the breaks/pads?

Everyone cross their fingers for me. I could not justify a $400-450 ($380 bike for my 4 year old.) and they are quite difficult to find used.
    180 was a LOT easier to justify. Hope it does not cost me more in the long run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by northernblades View Post
    Well I just bought a Spawn Banshee for my DD. I hope it all works out can admit a little bit scared. I got it for $180 Sight unseen.
    I know I know, really bad Idea.
    Good luck! $180 is a fantastic price on the bike if it's still in decent shape. If all you have to replace is tires and brake pads, you should be OK.

My daughter (on a Gremlin still) isn't ready for trails yet. She doesn't have the leg strength or gear inches to be able to handle that yet... As long as the tires aren't worn and dead, I'd recommend living with the ones you've got for a while and see how things go before replacing.

$480 (bike + US shipping) may seem like a lot... but my DD just had a 12" rental bike on vacation that was nearly the same weight as my rental Moonlander.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I know most kids don't need a conventional 9/10 speed drivetrain at 2-4 years old, but it sure would be nice. Any idea how to fit a conventional 9/10 speed hub into this?
    What is the frame dropout spacing? You should be able to find an old 7-speed road bike cassette hub in 126mm width. The 7-speed cassett body is 5mm narrower than 8/9/10s, but you can fit 8 of 9 cogs from a 9-speed cogset onto a 7-speed body.

If you want to stick with freewheels, an old 5-speed suntour "perfect" freewheel can bely rebuilt as a 3-speed (total width around 25mm), might also possibly work as a 4-speed. Suntour cogs would offer much lower gearing choices than the 20t 3-speed scooter FW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well the bike Came in yesterday. it is now nearly 4 hours into decal removal, sticker gunk removal, cleaning, and greasing.
    And the bike is freaking AWESOME.

The damage to the pedals was just a crack on the outside loop furthest from the bike (not important and non structural). The break pads were al present and accounted for. and in short no damage to the bike that my kids would not have done in the first week of use.

Even the rear tire, I figure I will let her road ride for 2-4 weeks, before I buy new tires, "in case" she hits any gravel or dirt. right now they are BALD. but not damaged.

Now the sad reality......
    She will not be big enough to rid it until at least next summer. pictures to follow
    I am so excided.... and she is excited that it is blue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds like a fantastic bargain

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I Hope this is acceptable practice here.
    http://sdrv.ms/HggJcP
    is my folder of the bike pictures.
    as well as one picture of my current rig.
    the trail-a-bike is often replaced with a chariot, and the older daughter rides up front instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ace

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi, just wanted to post up thanks for this great thread.

My 2.5yr old boy rides his balance bike at the BMX track, BUT I am ready to get him on a Gremlin.

Does anybody that reads this thread have a Gremlin for sale in the US?

Since Spawn is no longer shipping the Gremlin here due to a trademark dispute, I would rather buy used, but am also considering looking for someone in the Calgary area that would be willing to ship me a new one ....PM me with replies, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good idea to get a Gremlin. I got one for my just turned 3 year old early this year, and I am so glad that I did. He progressed so quickly on it, and pretty much rides a lot of singletrack on his own (just got back from Moab where he rode Agate and Jasper trails in North Klondike and Rusty Spur and the downhill of Lazy at the Brand trails). He is tall, and will next summer be on his sister's Banshee, and I'd sell you mine, but I am going to pass it down to my brother who will use it the summer of 2015. But definitely don't miss out on your son getting the chance to progress, as it is truly priceless. The best of luck in your search.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply!

No worries, I know how it is passing kid's stuff around...He's got a good Kazaam balance bike (real tires/tubes and bearings all around unlike strider) that's already spoken for by my brother in law!

I am waiting to hear back from an old friend in Calgary who may be willing to go pick up one and ship it down here to me....Just depends on his timing tho, he works out of town a ton in the oil industry...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So now is time to post, Anyone selling or plan on selling a used Savage in the next.... 3 years?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Haha. I got 2nd dibs. Has to be the 2.0!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    I am waiting to hear back from an old friend in Calgary who may be willing to go pick up one and ship it down here to me....Just depends on his timing tho, he works out of town a ton in the oil industry...
    The Gremlin is a fantastic bike. I'm about to pass one down to my younger daughter... That said, Spawn is releasing the Banshee 2.0 this year, and I think they said that it has a "lower standover" than the original. The difference between the Gremlin and the Banshee was only 1.5" to start off with... if your young one is big enough, you MIGHT be able to go straight to the banshee.

It's a shame that they have that trademark dispute. It'll be nice to hear when they get it resolved (by renaming the bike or whatever).... In the mean time, my Banshee 2.0 is supposed to be shipping in time for Christmas; I'll measure it for posterity when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This thread is a fantastic resource---thank you!

Does anyone here have first-hand experience comparing a Banshee to an Islabike Cnoc 16? My daughter rides an Islabike Beinn 20 small, and it is fantastic (we bought it from the Portland, OR Islabike store). Moving to freewheel + light bike + hand brakes revolutionized her riding. Now I want the same transformation for my son, who is currently riding an unmodified Hotrock 16.

Unfortunately, the U.S. Islabike Cnoc 16 comes with a coaster brake, so if I go that route, I'll either self-import the freewheel version from the UK or buy the U.S. version, rebuild the rear wheel, and add a V-brake using the seat stay clamp-on brake bosses posted in one of the Hotrock 16 mod threads (Brake lever and rear hub upgrades for Hotrock 16.). The cost of Banshee vs cnoc16-with-freewheel-in-U.S. ends up about the same (if only the U.S. Cnoc16 came with freewheel, it would be quite a bit cheaper than the Banshee).
    - U.S. version: Islabikes Cnoc 16 - lightweight first bike for kids age 4+
    - U.K. version: Islabikes Cnoc 16 - lightweight first bike for kids age 4+

The geometry is quite different between the bikes:
    - Horizontal top tube: Cnoc16 (400mm). Banshee (380mm)
    - Seat tube length: Cnoc16 (228mm). Banshee (190mm)
    - Head tube angle: Cnoc16 (71 degrees). Banshee (72 degrees)

The Cnoc is reportedly roughly 2 lbs lighter than the Banshee at 13.2 lbs.

Anyone have first-hand experience with both bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It is 30 cheaper in the US!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem View Post
    It is 30 cheaper in the US!
    Yes, but the U.S. model comes with a coaster brake and no rear v-brake bosses (not shown in the picture, but verified with Islabike U.S.). UK wins.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That does suck. Though a coaster brake has been brilliant for my 2 year old, I don't think it has a place on a 16 inch bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone hear anything about when the new Banshees will start shipping? Getting close to the end of the month!

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fireswamp View Post

Unfortunately, the U.S. Islabike Cnoc 16 comes with a coaster brake, so if I go that route, I'll either self-import the freewheel version from the UK or buy the U.S. version, rebuild the rear wheel, and add a V-brake using the seat stay clamp-on brake bosses posted in one of the Hotrock 16 mod threads

The geometry is quite different between the bikes:
    - Horizontal top tube: Cnoc16 (400mm). Banshee (380mm)
    - Seat tube length: Cnoc16 (228mm). Banshee (190mm)
    - Head tube angle: Cnoc16 (71 degrees). Banshee (72 degrees)
    Fireswamp: Did you get the geometry directly from Islabikes? I've been looking around on both the US and UK sites and can't find it listed, even on the owner manual PDFs.

For what it is worth, the only 16" bike I have found "commonly" available in the US with rear V brake mounts is the Norco Scorpion.

Scorpion 16 Inch Youth Bikes Norco Bicycles

Unfortunately it comes with what I assume is a very low quality and very heavy suspension fork. I'm not sure what's the less of two evils, a coaster brake with heavy drag or a heavy, ineffective suspension fork.

I have to say with the benefit of hindsight the Spawn Banshee would have been worth every penny over the Hotrock 16 I bought. But I have two boys a year apart so we would have gotten a few good years out of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Fireswamp: Did you get the geometry directly from Islabikes? I've been looking around on both the US and UK sites and can't find it listed, even on the owner manual PDFs.
    Yes, the geometry came from Islabike U.S. in Portland, OR. They are very helpful, and wish they could offer their freewheel + rear-V-brake Cnoc 14s and 16s in the U.S. They cannot due to our antiquated bicycle safety laws.

FWIW, I gave up on the idea of modding a U.S. Cnoc 16 to add the freewheel + V-brake and ordered a Banshee.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fireswamp View Post
    Yes, the geometry came from Islabike U.S. in Portland, OR. They are very helpful, and wish they could offer their freewheel + rear-V-brake Cnoc 14s and 16s in the U.S. They cannot due to our antiquated bicycle safety laws.

FWIW, I gave up on the idea of modding a U.S. Cnoc 16 to add the freewheel + V-brake and ordered a Banshee.
    My wife called him yesterday. Unfortunately I was in the shower so I couldn't tell her to get the horizontal TT measurements of the two 20" models. I'll email him shortly.

We've already ordered a Cannondale Street 20 for my five and a half year old. I want to put some money into his Hotrock 16 (freehub, V brake adaptors, paint job) and give it to his four and a half year old brother. My wife is now questioning if it's worth the money given how quickly our older son outgrew the Hotrock.

She feels with what Hotrock 16s are selling for on Ebay we could just go ahead and sell it and get the bike we really want. Of course the only bike that meets our criteria is the Banshee but it has an even shorter TT than the Hotrock and I'm convinced my four year old will be cramped on it before the end of next summer.

Is Spawn able to export Banshee's into the states without a coaster brake? Looking at the Norco Scorpion image closely online and it appears that it comes with both a coaster brake and a V brake. I just can't see spending more money and having a high friction coaster brake when I already have one here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ...so I couldn't tell her to get the horizontal TT measurements of the two 20" models. I'll email him shortly.
    The Beinn 20" small has a 440mm horizontal top tube. I don't know about the 20" large version.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Is Spawn able to export Banshee's into the states without a coaster brake? Looking at the Norco Scorpion image closely online and it appears that it comes with both a coaster brake and a V brake. I just can't see spending more money and having a high friction coaster brake when I already have one here.
    I bought my son a banshee in September before they announced the refreshed model, it did not have a coaster brake, I would not have bought it if it did

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast