Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)

BS

You will need an English thread BMX hub. Almost the same as what comes stock , but stock one has metric thread and will only take 15 tooth max. I rebuilt the wheel with cheap English thread hub from ebay. Then you will need
    Problem Solvers Chain Tensioner with Derailleur Hanger
    http://amzn.com/B006GHF18C
    And
    Como Bicycle Scooter Sprocket Wheel 3 Speed Freewheel Repair Part
    http://amzn.com/B009PKMAZY
    Plus shifter and der.

Its easy with the pink for me. I have a 2 year old coming right behind the 4 yo. She is riding a custom 12" hotrock with freewheel and rear vbrakes.

I agree with everyones statement about the spawn thou. If i would have known i would have started with their balance bike bc it has brakes that the little ones can use and then moved to the bigger ones. As it stands this one will get many years of use by my girls. This bike has made her a great rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In case it helps anyone, I was having a hard time finding first Schwalbe Mad Mikes in the US in 16x2.125", but then I realized the Kenda K50 is nearly identical, so then I searched for those but was having a hard time finding them in all black (on Amazon they were either white, or gumwall) so then I found them at Niagara Cycle. I posted this mainly because they seem to have a ton of 16" tires to choose from:

Tires & Tubes - Tires - 16" - Niagara Cycle

I went with the knobbier K50's to give him traction on dirt and gravel, but for a moment I did ponder buying some slicks for street riding
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm3 View Post
    BS

You will need an English thread BMX hub. Almost the same as what comes stock , but stock one has metric thread and will only take 15 tooth max. I rebuilt the wheel with cheap English thread hub from ebay. Then you will need
    Problem Solvers Chain Tensioner with Derailleur Hanger
    Amazon.com: Problem Solvers Chain Tensioner with Derailleur Hanger: Sports & Outdoors
    And
    Amazon.com: Como Bicycle Scooter Sprocket Wheel 3 Speed Freewheel Repair Part: Sports & Outdoors
    Plus shifter and der.

Its easy with the pink for me. I have a 2 year old coming right behind the 4 yo. She is riding a custom 12" hotrock with freewheel and rear vbrakes.

I agree with everyones statement about the spawn thou. If i would have known i would have started with their balance bike bc it has brakes that the little ones can use and then moved to the bigger ones. As it stands this one will get many years of use by my girls. This bike has made her a great rider.

Adamm,

Thanks for the info. The PS Derailleur hanger and 3 spd freewheel seem to make sense. Is this what I am looking for in regards to a hub:

GT Mohawk BMX 28 Hole Hub Rear SS FW | eBay

Because if I wanted to keep the same rims, I would want a 28h hub? Were you able to reuse the spokes / nipples on yours?

Are there any other freewheels that would work? I would love to get a little more spread than the +/- 15% of the Como one.

Thanks again for any info - BS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I need to tag this one... my 3.5yo has a 12" pedal bike from grandma which is a little too big. Just got her on a Burley MyKick balance bike, but I think the Banshee will be just right when she's ready for a new bike. She's small, so maybe xmas or next year... shall see.

mtbr member

****************12UHA3D

These are the hubs i used. Hard to tell on the one u linked if it has correct thread. Spokes and nipples transferred over.

Como Sprocket Wheel Freewheel 3 Speed for Scooter Bicycle
    http://amzn.com/B0053WWHK6

http://amzn.com/B009PKMAZY

2 versions i found

mtbr member

FMF Powermoto flip flop hub. Link didnt work. I think any flip flop hub will work

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Adamm, thanks again, and my daughter will soon has some gears. One last question, is that the KMC Z410 chain that you are using? Basically trying to find out if I want a singlespeed chain or a multi speed chain. Yours looks like the pink KMC, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Just a pink single speed chain..not sure even which one. It works surprisingly well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Wow- great thread! After looking at Hotrocks and Pitboss, I drank the Spawn kool-aide and couldn't be happier. My 5 year old son is a very small guy, just makes it on the seat of his new Banshee. The bike is awesome- light and well made with top shelf components, a huge improvement over the Trek Jett he was riding. I'm eager to try Adamm3's recipe for adding a freewheel and derailleur. Between Ebay and Amazon I think I have the critical pieces covered.

I do have a question about Grip Shifters and Handle Bar Diameter. So far I've kept the stock Spawn handlebars. I notice a lot of custom bars in this thread. Do Grip Shifters come with shims to fit different handle bar diameters? how does that work? Do I need to worry about this?

Re: Customs/Duty fees, I live in the states and did not end up having to pay anything extra.

It is great to have this information resource, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

mtbr member
    You will need a 25.4mm bar to work with the shifters. That means you will also need a new stem if I remember right. I think the Spawn stuff is 22.2mm (BMX). Nice thing is that the steertube is 1-1/8", so just about any mountain bike stem will work. I would stick in the 50mm-60mm length.

Stem 25.4 x 60 x 1-1/8 would be ideal

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My (son's) Banshee came yesterday. I live in PA, ordered it the 20th, so 8 days from western Canada to eastern U.S. is not bad at all. I didn't have to pay customs fees- I should point out that the times I have had to pay customs in the past on Canadian-shipped items were from UPS; Spawn shipped via Canada Post and then USPS.

Very nice bike. Taking it to the LBS to handle the brakes, and my son is so stoked to ride it! We won't even mess with the 1.8" or whatever street tires on it, I already put the Kenda K50 knobbies on.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    That is exactly what Spawn told me when i contacted them after i got hit for customs fees. UPS is how mine shipped. I think at the time they were going to stop using them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, UPS calls it their "customs brokerage fee", which I read online can be circumvented if you call them ahead of time and complain and say something like "I have already cleared the item for import myself" or something.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks adamm3, 25.4mm is the diameter I couldn't remember. I'm going to rummage through my boxes of old parts and see what bar/stem combos I can find. Appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm3 View Post
    You will need a 25.4mm bar to work with the shifters. That means you will also need a new stem if I remember right. I think the Spawn stuff is 22.2mm (BMX). Nice thing is that the steertube is 1-1/8", so just about any mountain bike stem will work. I would stick in the 50mm-60mm length.

Stem 25.4 x 60 x 1-1/8 would be ideal
    Speaking of bar and shifter.... is than an indexed or friction shifter you installed, adamm3? If indexed, how did you reconcile the multi-speed indexed shifter with just the 3 gears?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    adamm3, what SRAM grip shifter did you use? Did you use one for the rear derailleur and it just only works 3 gears? Or can the left/front shifter work for the rear on this type of setup?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    adamm3, what SRAM grip shifter did you use? Did you use one for the rear derailleur and it just only works 3 gears? Or can the left/front shifter work for the rear on this type of setup?
    You getting ready to add gears to your Banshee, Jared? That new 20" geared Spawn bike might fit the bill when it's out... but, then, no fun customizing the one you have.

I'm likely to be ordering a Banshee for my 4yo to graduate into soon. She's finally about 1.5" up on the seatpost of her Gremlin, and her younger sister is probably going to be ready for it by next year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yep! He's still 4 but at the point where he can justify a 3 speed with our riding. Plus he is constantly asking about how the gearing on my bike works.

Trying to see if a Shimano Nexus 3 speed shifter can work... Other than that I dunno
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I thought I would chime in as I bought my son a banshee as well. I've decided to go with the 2.4 inch innovo tires as the sand and gravel here is too much for smaller tires, as gears, I will wait a bit on those. I did drop the tooth count on the front sprocket to 22' instead of 28 to help my soon get some more uphill power.

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-image.jpg
    Forgot to take a before picture, but here is final result

Original tire weight

New tire weight

Side by side comparison

28 tooth sprocket weight

22 tooth sprocket weight

I also put an xtr chain on the bike because all I had was a nine speed quick link.

I bought the tires from Unicycle.com - Please Choose Your Country they raped me on shipping, and had nothing else I wanted... Seriously 22 bucks for ground...

Also max at spawn cycles was awesome to deal with he went out of his way to get my so a green banshee, when all he had in stock was blue

and finally a video from my son's first track day on the bike in stock form, hope the new tires don't screw up his form.

mtbr member
    Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-alaura.jpgBTW that is my 4 year old Alaura chasing Sean on her Banshee. We have done some changes since moving back to Tahoe from Texas. The 3 speed came off as the gearing does not help much in the mountains. We went back with the 24-24 gearing to allow her to climb some of the easier hills. The 3 speed tallest gear was 20 tooth. We also put on the 20" spinner air fork. It has taken a bit to break in but is working better. Will need to build a disc hub for the front as the v brake mounts are meant for 20" wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Adamm3 a few posts up I asked about what shifter you used for 3 speed, any input is welcome!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

I used a 9 spd SRAM XO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Spawn has just announced that they have a new Banshee coming out in Mid-November. Lower seat and 1 pound less in weight!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Spawn has just announced that they have a new Banshee coming out in Mid-November. Lower seat and 1 pound less in weight!
    I am very jealous of it coming with a flip flop hub... but my son enjoys riding his too much to not of had it for the last of the warm weather...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Lower seat and a pound less is awesome. My daughter quickly transitioned to her 20" wheeled heavily modified Specialized a week or two after I did the three speed mod to our Banshee, but I don't think it is worth it. It added a decent amount of weight, and the range in gears obtained wasn't enough to justify this. It did help my daughter to understand the basics of shifting, but my recommendation is to keep the Banshee as it is and wait until they get big enough to ride a 20" bike. It sucks, as my 2 year old son is killing it on his Gremlin, and his big problem is he doesn't have a gear low enough for hills, and enough big gear for downhills. I guess another reason why I never have understood singlespeeders.

I know most kids don't need a conventional 9/10 speed drivetrain at 2-4 years old, but it sure would be nice. Any idea how to fit a conventional 9/10 speed hub into this?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast