Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm going to run the 2.4's for sure when they get here, he has been having trouble riding the rocky trails around here and I think those will help a lot. They aren't going to make a 16lb bike a 30lb bike, and I seriously doubt that he will be achieving speeds that will make the extra rotational mass a significant hinderance any time in the near future.
    Thanks for the pic

I'm either going to do orange and green or a joke themed purple and green like this bike. He is really into batman now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by devojrx7 View Post
    Looks the same to me, and about $5 cheaper, damn. I wonder what they weigh? I couldn't find it during a short search of the intraweb.
    One of the other websites that I was looking at said the K50s were 520g, but I can't seem to find that now. But the 20x2.125s are 640 grams, so 520g sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a blue Banshee on its way to me right now. Thanks for the great write up here. Looking forward to doing a side by side comparison with my son's current 16" hotrock. I will post up my findings ;-) Also picked up some nubbier tires to go ripping around on the mountain bike trails. My son is so excited to get a bike with hand brakes like dad's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I got all the new parts for my daughter's bike a couple days ago, and I changed out the Hotrock 16" tires for the Kenda K50s. The Kendas feel about the same weight, but their casing doesn't feel quite as thick, so not sure how that will be with pinch flats, because I am running the tires at a low PSI to give a little cushion when she hits the rocks. On her first ride, she rarely skid, and is way more confident in her turns on loose dirt / sand.

I changed out the 28T chainring with a 22T chainring from Amazon that I got for $9. I had to take out a link of the chain, and had to move the wheel back further in the dropouts, which also made me have to move the rear v-brake pads back too. Pretty easy change, that took about 15 minutes including removing the crank, etc. Another good thing about the smaller gear is that it limits her speed, which for now is good, as she is getting to the point that she wants to race me.

And I got some new pink grips. Here is the bike now (also with the pink brake housing and a softer seat more ergo Serfas seat we had on her trailer bike).

Also, here is another small bike video of her riding at the local skate park. Doesn't look like much, but there is a 4 foot drop if she goes off the top. And don't worry, we did it 5 or so times with me in the catch position before filming this.

Addz in the Skate Park - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-park-city-20120809-00001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I got all the new parts for my daughter's bike a couple days ago, and I changed out the Hotrock 16" tires for the Kenda K50s. The Kendas feel about the same weight, but their casing doesn't feel quite as thick, so not sure how that will be with pinch flats, because I am running the tires at a low PSI to give a little cushion when she hits the rocks. On her first ride, she rarely skid, and is way more confident in her turns on loose dirt / sand.

I changed out the 28T chainring with a 22T chainring from Amazon that I got for $9. I had to take out a link of the chain, and had to move the wheel back further in the dropouts, which also made me have to move the rear v-brake pads back too. Pretty easy change, that took about 15 minutes including removing the crank, etc. Another good thing about the smaller gear is that it limits her speed, which for now is good, as she is getting to the point that she wants to race me.

And I got some new pink grips. Here is the bike now (also with the pink brake housing and a softer seat more ergo Serfas seat we had on her trailer bike).

Also, here is another small bike video of her riding at the local skate park. Doesn't look like much, but there is a 4 foot drop if she goes off the top. And don't worry, we did it 5 or so times with me in the catch position before filming this.

Addz in the Skate Park - YouTube
    Great looking bike Seeing all these is making me more excited for my son's new banshee to arrive ;-)

mtbr member
    My daughter is still on her Strider, but soon will need one of these... $350.00 is a bit more than I could afford though. If any of your kids grow out of theirs in the next year or so... Let me know. Would love to find one used for my little shredder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    A couple of months ago, I posted a question on this forum about trying to find a 16" wheeled bike for my at the time 3 year old daughter, that had a free-wheel and hand brakes. I thought I researched everything, but someone on that post recommended me to look at the Spawn Cycles Banshee (2012 Spawn Cycles Banshee 16" Bike - Spawn Cycles - The World's Best Kids' Bikes!). It was everything that I wanted spec wise (aluminum frame, free-wheel, v-brakes and lightweight), and delivered it was less than $400.

I had originally bought a Specialized Hotrock 16" for her a year before, and even though she was progressing fast with the bike, it was limiting her true potential. So I bought the only type of brakes that fit on it (U-brakes), and they were terrible even though I adjusted them as intended. So I had a bike that weighed almost 23 pounds, had crappy brakes, still had the crutch coaster brakes and had too big of gearing for her and an inefficient drivetrain. She weighs 37 pounds, so that is like my 200 pound self pedaling a 124 pound bike. And I now had spent around $300 for this.

Now with the Banshee, it weighs around 16 pounds, an almost one third reduction in weight, and a lower gearing, she cranks up hills that she had to walk before. The bike has decent components on it, and I don't see anything that would be considered lightweight and after many crashes, it is proven to be durable. The only change that I would make is changing out the tires, as they seem to be more suited for pavement than dirt. The drivetrain is efficient (meaning that if I spin up the wheel and then let go of the crank, the rear Spesh wheel stops spinning in 5 wheel revs, where the Banshee spins for at least 10 times longer), and it is amazing the night and day difference between her climbing ability. It took her several rides to get past the involuntary response for her to pedal backwards when she is scared, but she is really coming to her own now with the v-brakes. The brakes are plenty strong, and I don't see any reason why kids should be ever using coaster brakes.

But now with a good 50 miles and 20 rides on the Banshee, she went from crying when I said we weren't going to take her Specialized bike to our Moab trip, to now telling me that I can sell it now, because she doesn't like the Specialized bike anymore.

I know a lot of people are doing a bunch of mods to make Hotrocks a lot nicer, and spending much more than this bike costs. I was going to go down that street, but I'm glad I found this. And another part I like is that this isn't done by some huge company like most kids bikes are, but a small company based out of Canada. Designed and built by a dad who got tired of his son riding crappy bikes, kind of like the rest of us.

If anyone is interested, here is her at the Trailside Bike Park in Park City, UT, I wish I could have muted out me, so please turn some loud music up instead. She just turned 4 a couple of weeks ago, and I look forward to kicking my butt in a few years:

Addz in the Trailside Bike Park - YouTube

PM me if you still think Specialized is king, and you are interested in a white Specialized Hotrock 16" with front and rear hand brakes.
    What kind of seat is that you have your lil boy in? looks cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's the Ibert seat. It is pretty cool, and we have used it pretty heavily for more than 3 years now (starting with my daughter). We have ridden fairly technical trails, and have only had one wreck. Just got to remember that you are their roll cage, so no taking your hands off the bars if you fall. But it is one great way to get your kids out biking at an early age, and they love being able to talk to you and see you (and shift your gears when you aren't looking), compared to being behind you as most other systems are.

It is a great system, but I would definitely modify it, because it could be much better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Some one is excited I will make sure to post my comparison notes between the hotrock and this bike soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    First impressions:

Overall the Spawn Cycles is a very good looking and quality children’s bike. Little details like Decals are applied under the clearcoat instead of stickers, sealed bearings all around, and the fit and finish are very nice.

1. Low weight – The Banshee came in right at 16lbs which is what is advertised on their site. This makes it one of the lighter 16” kids bikes out there. Surprisingly the Hotrock was only a couple more pounds weighing in at 17-18 in stock form. Not bad either considering lots of other 16” options easily tip the 20lb mark.
    2. “Real” V-Brakes front and rear – This is HUGE if your plans include riding single track. The coaster brake on the hotrock was just unsafe on the dirt hills. The V-brakes are powerful and easy to modulate even for kids with small hands. My son got the hang of the hand brakes in a day and is now working them like a champ. I will give it a bit longer before hitting the trails to make sure he has it under control ;-)
    3. Freewheel – These bikes are so low to the ground that they have issues with hitting pedals on corners. The freewheel will make it easier for him to properly position his pedals when going into corners. Another bennifit I noticed is that there was considerable drag on the Hotrock’s rear wheel, presumably from the coaster brake setup. The rear wheel of the Banshee just keeps spinning and spinning where the Hotrock stops in 3-4 turns. That has to be a good thing.
    4. Cranks – The cranks are a good inch longer on the Banshee. I have already noticed my son powering up some pretty decent hills around the house with his new found leverage. I will be curious to see how that helps him out on the trails. The Hotrocks crank arms are so darn short!

A note on the cost – New, the Banshee costs about $130 more than a Hotrock 16. Not insignificant but for me it was justified since I was looking at doing modifications to the Hotrock that would have cost at least that much to bring it up to the level the Banshee comes stock. Getting sidepull brakes (not as good as V-brakes), a better crank, and a freewheel would have easily matched the price of the Banshee.

I will post some notes after our first outing on the trail. If you have any questions let me know J The small family owned Spawn Cycles were an absolute pleasure to deal with!

Here is a picture of his bike all setup for him!

http://www.morcmtb.org/photopost/dat...ium/Spawn2.JPG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-spawn2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For those of you who live in the US and bought the Spawn Banshee, did you get hit with any customs fees?

Belltown Brazer
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    I'm having a hard enough time justifying $200 for a used Hardrock 20" for my son about to turn 6, no way I would have paid $350 for a 16" bike 2 years ago, you sir are a baller, props to you
    Ice hockey ice time: $1800/yr. Equipment not included. Use this info to justify otherwise outrageous kids bike purchases! B
    I am Belltown Bikes LLC. Steel bicycles hand made in East Hampton, CT

mtbr member
    I had to pay customs fees....when I spoke with Spawn about it they say its a crap shoot...sometimes customer gets charged sometimes they dont...but they have no control over it

mtbr member
    I did not have to pay any customs. How much is it if you get charged?

Oh and the bike is great. The 2.4's really make a big difference on the MTB trails he can now just roll over roots and rocks. I keep them aired down pretty low and it makes a pretty good suspension. They look really cool too.

mtbr member
    I got hit with about $60...bummer, but the bike is still worth it. She is wanting to ride trails everyday and even her 2 year old sister wants to come. We let her come along on her balance bike when we do shorter rides. In the process of teaching her (2 yo) to pedal now....little bit of a struggle as she can balance the bike just fine, but has never pedaled anything so does not quite understand what to do.

The 3.5 year old has done rides in the 3-4 miles range all single track and I def believe the bike helps. We took some friends older kids out this past weekend on their department store bikes with coaster brakes. It was just the affirmation I needed. Coaster brakes are impossible off road especially since they usually want to put their feet down when they are in trouble...that means no brakes.

Thanks again Spawn!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That sucks regarding the customs. I was lucky enough to not have to pay any customs.

Our riding definitely slowed down later this summer, as my daughter hit a small rock, lost her balance, and got launched over her handlebars. Landed on her elbow, and hyper-extended it, breaking her humerus right at the socket. She displaced the humerus with the ulna / radius fairly significantly and had to actually have surgery. She was one of three kids in the kids hospital that had the same type of break, so fairly common with their soft bones. We thought regular elbow pads help, but they actually make it worse, giving the arm more of a chance to hyper-extend because the elbow is an inch or so off the ground.

So needless to say, I just bought her a full face helmet, and body armor (that has a combo elbow/forearm pad). I hope this will help reduce the chances of something like this happening again. We have really good insurance, but it still cost us almost $1500 out of pocket for all of this. With the FF helmet and armor only being $150, it seems like a decent investment.

But we have started to get out again, and are planning a couple trips to Moab before it gets too cold down there. The bad news is that we awoke to 6" of snow at our house, so our riding season may be ending fast.

mtbr member
    Awesome thread... I have a 7 month old (my first) fast asleep in his room right now and after a bit in a Burly -esqe trailer this Spring I can't wait to get him on one of these balance bikes and on and on.. Great to see so many great parents out there bringing their kids into a great sport!..

mtbr member
    I was lucky and had no customs fees but my bike box was destroyed. The USPS must have used an entire roll of priority mail tape to patch the box up. They blamed it on Canada, damn you Terrence and Phillip.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    My daughter finally decided to graduate from her push bike to her Spawn Gremlin this weekend. Once she decided she could do it, the transition took 10 minutes. Ordering a Banshee soon for her, the gremlin will go to her brother.

The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh god dammit I wish I hadn't of seen this thread. My 4 year old son is outgrowing his Hotrock 12 and I was about to get him a Hotrock 16. Game over. Fuuuuuuudge the wife will not be happy lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)

Just an update to our Spawn. I added a 3 spd freewheel to give a better range of gearing and prep her for the next bike. I used an SRAM X7 der and SRAM twist shifter i had laying around. Works great
    Review of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368902556.555913.jpgReview of the Spawn Cycles Banshee (16" wheeled bike)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368902570.161484.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just ordered a Banshee for my son! So stoked. Like was said earlier, after modding a Hotrock 16 you're basically at the Banshee cost. The longer crank arms is clutch, it was painful watching my son pedal his Hotrock 12 up small hills.

Are there any other tires to consider aside from Kenda K50's? I noticed some Schwalbes that might be nice but unsure if someone had already done the research.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm3 View Post
    Just an update to our Spawn. I added a 3 spd freewheel to give a better range of gearing and prep her for the next bike. I used an SRAM X7 der and SRAM twist shifter i had laying around. Works great
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368902556.555913.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	800181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368902570.161484.jpg 
Views:	754 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	800182

Adamm,

What a great idea to add some gears. And nice job in making it so pink. I know my daughter would love all those mods, but trying to keep it easy to change back for my son. I have a couple of questions if you have some time.

Is that the original rear hub on your Banshee?

Where did you get the 3 speed freewheel? Could you send a link?

When we ride, depending on the terrain, I am either wishing she had a smaller or taller gear. The 3 speed could be perfect.

Thanks for any info - BS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Oh god dammit I wish I hadn't of seen this thread. My 4 year old son is outgrowing his Hotrock 12 and I was about to get him a Hotrock 16. Game over. Fuuuuuuudge the wife will not be happy lol
    I'm sure your son's growth will be incredible going from the Hotrock 12 to the Banshee. Every ride that my daughter and I do now, she is amazing me by cleaning some part she hasn't been able to do in the past. She still doesn't have the power to get up most bigger hills, but is really learning how to keep momentum for the smaller ones. And it is so much easier to have confidence in going faster when you know you can stop quickly (instead of skid out of control). She is riding downhills that boys twice her age walk their bikes on. The Banshee has been a big reason for her growth in biking, and I just wish I knew about Spawn when I first bought her the Hotrock 12 too.

Regarding your question about tires. I really like the K50s for our trail conditions (loose and sometimes sandy). She could get by with a less aggressive tread, but she very rarely skids down loose downhills. And I'll trade a little slower for safer anyday.

And if your wife is like mine, she'll see quickly (after he learns the virtues of hand operated brakes), how much safer they are going downhill. On simple downhills with the Hotrocks, my daughter would lock up her rear brake and it scared the cr@p out of us.

Best of luck and send some pics / vids when you get it running.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast