Thread: Removing spokes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Removing spokes

My son got a new 20" Cannondal Trail. Honestly, it is a bit big for him.

I am trying to figure out where to shave weight and I was thinking about removing some spokes. 32 spokes seems a bit excessive.

The frame, bars, stem, seatpost are all AL,

The Crank is obviously heavy, but that seems expensive to lighten

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Spokes would be a last resort for a true weight weenie. You aren't going to lose that much by removing some spokes, and if you're going to leave the parts on where the majority of the weight is, that begs the question why bother?

I religiously shopped ebay and online bike stores until I found deals on carbon. For example, about 6 months ago Jenson had Easton carbon bars for closeout @ $30 I believe. 25.4 isn't a popular size now a days. Depending on the seat post size, you may find the same thing.

I'd start with bars, stem and seat post, even maybe the seat.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dropping spokes to remove weight works fine for a 20" wheel bike, see recent threads;

Kid specific Wheel Build for 40lb rider NEED HELP
    &
    Kid specific Wheel Build for 40lb rider NEED HELP

If you are considering working on the wheels, it would also be a good opportunity to replace the heavy nutted hubs with lighter hubs with QR skewers. Finding a 6-speed cassette might be tricky however so staying with the stock freewheel hub might be easier unless you also want to upgrade the cassette & shifters to 8 or 9 speed.

If the cannondale crank is 152mm (per cannondale spec sheet), that is much too long for a 20" wheel rider and 36T chainring is fairly tall gearing. Replacing the crank with something more like a 135mm to 145mm length would fit better, lighter and you can get lower gearing from a smaller chainring.

Last thing I see really holding back that bike is the heavy suntour fork with almost no actual suspension. Go to a lightweight rigid fork, buy an air-sprung 20" fork ( still somewhat heavy) or DIY an old manitou suspension fork into a lightweight 20". (See my Pixie thread above).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005