mtbr member
    Sep 2011

redline mini vs spawn savage vs hotrock

Redline mini isnt geared but only weighs 15lbs.

The spawn savage with v brakes and rigid fork is 20 lbs. but comes with a real freehub

The hotrock has a freewheel and weighs about 25.

My daughter is 5 and most will be riding with me on basic dirt, curb hopping, around the neighborhood. She is tall for her age but light. Around 38lbs and 46 inches. she also isnt that strong.

The neighbors daughter has a hotrock and she likes that, but it is so heavy. I like the idea of a 15lb bike, but Im not sure how important gearing is.

Redline mini - very light weight, no gearing
    savage - has everything, would get rigid fork vbrake option, 20lbs seems really heavy
    hotrock - way heavy, but has the look she wants (she is the type to get over the look. she might complain at first).

what do you guys think? We will mostly just ride around the neighborhood, through grass, maybe trails later but not at first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well, I've got several hundred into my son's 20" hidden canyon (which I love!). I've lightened it with cranks, Ti bottom bracket, seat/post, bars, and stem, but my son still loves his friend's Redline mini and asks if I can buy him one for Christmas... It sort of kills me, but if I could do it again, I'd probably go with the mini.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Not necessarily a straight forward answer...

The Spawn looks dope. My concern would be about leaving it locked up places and increased chances of getting stolen - not sure what your neighborhood is like. I also think that gearing can overcome a lot of weight issues and will be more versatile on any of the hills. You'll have to decide if she can handle the gear shifting thing (but really not that hard - just don't shift while stopped, etc.).
    If your 5yo is anything like my 8yo was three years ago, you have to make it easy, and the single speed thing can get frustrating on anything except the gentlest of hills. If you daughter is a go-getter and really willing to work for it, the simplicity is nice.

We went with a used hotrock and then I threw a bunch of old parts at it to lighten things up. We still aren't as nice as that spawn, though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Redline mini isnt geared but only weighs 15lbs.

The spawn savage with v brakes and rigid fork is 20 lbs. but comes with a real freehub

The hotrock has a freewheel and weighs about 25.

My daughter is 5 and most will be riding with me on basic dirt, curb hopping, around the neighborhood. She is tall for her age but light. Around 38lbs and 46 inches. she also isnt that strong.

The neighbors daughter has a hotrock and she likes that, but it is so heavy. I like the idea of a 15lb bike, but Im not sure how important gearing is.

Redline mini - very light weight, no gearing
    savage - has everything, would get rigid fork vbrake option, 20lbs seems really heavy
    hotrock - way heavy, but has the look she wants (she is the type to get over the look. she might complain at first).

what do you guys think? We will mostly just ride around the neighborhood, through grass, maybe trails later but not at first.
    Based on her use and size, I would tend to lean more general than specific. The Redline mini is a race bike with according geometry. The tires are narrow and will wash out in anything but smooth dirt. It also won't be very confidence inspiring if she's not already decently skilled.

As for the Spawn Savage, cool bike though it's a lot of money to throw out there for a bike. Will she just be riding it around the neighborhood leaving it in front of the house or outside unattended? Do you care if it get's stolen? If you plan on doing decent rides up a canyon or get more into it, I would get this bike.

The Hotrock, Marin Hidden Canyon, Trek or other big box type mountain bike (typically all around $350-400) might be a good option. It's heavy but it does have gears and real brakes. You can take it off road without washing out. If it get's stolen, it's not the end of the world. If the local neighborhood hooligan takes it out and does a bunch of J skids wearing out the back tires, it won't really matter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Based on her use and size, I would tend to lean more general than specific. The Redline mini is a race bike with according geometry. The tires are narrow and will wash out in anything but smooth dirt. It also won't be very confidence inspiring if she's not already decently skilled.

As for the Spawn ....

The Hotrock, Marin Hidden Canyon, Trek or other big box type mountain bike (typically all around $350-400) might be a good option. It's heavy but it does have gears and real brakes. You can take it off road without washing out. If it get's stolen, it's not the end of the world. If the local neighborhood hooligan takes it out and does a bunch of J skids wearing out the back tires, it won't really matter.
    maybe you can get her to ride a few of the options before you buy? My son does 90% street riding, and maybe I'll take him on dirt once in a blue moon(not what planned, but how it worked out). He loves the weight and low rolling resistance of the redline. When he falls with the hidden canyon I get "I hate this bike" but the redline is so light, I've never seen either of them fall (or it was so uneventful that I don't remember). Let us know what you decide!

mtbr member
    One thing to think about is that you can easily find a used Hotrock on craigslist for $120-140. Then put some $ into upgrade if she loves riding. Also, a Hotrock is an easy sell if it is not working out.

I changed the grips, tires and grip shift, gears-7 speed. Into it for $120 plus the cost of the bike $120. Weighs 23.5 lbs no kick stand. But it has computer, bell and now a basket. The best change was the tires. These are fast and roll smooth.
    redline mini vs spawn savage vs hotrock-cockpit-ice-cream.jpgredline mini vs spawn savage vs hotrock-grip-ice-cream.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ok just to let you know Im going to go with the hotrock for the gears. she is really skinny but tall so she isnt that strong.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    good choice. a solid (if not a bit heavy) of a bike to begin with, and can turn in to a proper mountain bike with just a few upgrades if need be...