mtbr member
    Feb 2006

recommendations for front mounted child seat?

My boy is about 2 1/2. We've spent 2 seasons using a chariot style trailer, and he enjoys it (while awake). I want to get him more involved in "the ride" and have him be able to see what I see, see how I steer, feel the balancing of the bike, etc. I think the ride would be more exciting for him if he wasn't staring at my sweaty back the whole time.

I think a front-mounted seat would work best for this, but there are so many out there. Can anyone recommend a good sturdy one? He's about 27lbs now.

Thanks

iBert
    My oldest switched from Burley trailer to iBert around 15-16 months and he's loved it. He's now 3 1/2 y.o., 30# and it's still comfortable for both of us. I now do mostly 2-kid, iBert/trailer combo rides with his 2 y.o. brother, and the two of them fight over who gets to ride in the iBert. But I love occasionally doing a 1-kid ride with just the iBert and not having to tow the plow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I second the iBert. Just make sure you have enough stem spacers. It also works better on more upright bikes, like cruiser or townie bikes, but that's the case with any front mount.
    '11 Transition Bandit 29
    '12 Surly Ogre
    '13 Surly Big Dummy
    '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guys, the iBert looks intriguing. Does it wobble at all? Looks like it only mounts to the steerer? My intended bike has a carbon steerer so I'm not sure this would be a good idea on that bike.

It clamps to the outside of your steerer tube spacers. You need to have a minimum of 3/4" in overall spacer height for the iBert to work. I have no idea whether it's carbon compatible. There is some lateral wobble, it's pretty much unavoidable with the iBert, though I've never really found it objectionable. I actually find it's more noticeable when the iBert is unoccupied than when it's holding a child.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah when child is mounted it doesn't wobble. The wobble isn't from where it connects to the bike anyhow.

Honestly, if I had a carbin steer tube, I'd just go on craigslist and find something for cheap for the Ibert like this:

700 Trek Hybrid Bike For Sale
    '11 Transition Bandit 29
    '12 Surly Ogre
    '13 Surly Big Dummy
    '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Man, that whole concept is scary to me.
    Hate to image a crash with the kid up there.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Man, that whole concept is scary to me.
    Hate to image a crash with the kid up there.
    I'm sad to say that I've actually gone down once. It was stupid. My dedicated kids bike is an old Gary Fisher hardtail with road slicks. I wasn't paying attention and I was too close to the edge of a road that had recently had a tar & chip topping and the bike washed out. We went down, but with the iBert your child is basically always between your arms. My left arm and shoulder blocked him from ever hitting pavement, even though I was really scraped up myself. With a rear seat it probably would have been much worse. He was wearing a helmet of course. I realize this case is sort of anecdotal, specific to a certain type of crash, but realistically when you consider all the various crash circumstances, I'm not sure how much front vs back really matters, in either case it could be VERY ugly. The thing about the front mount versus the rear mount is that with the front mount your kid is centered on the bike and the bike maintains a somewhat typical center of gravity. With a rear mount the whole setup is just wonky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey guys, so I ended up following your recommendations and went with the iBert. Had to swap out my 50mm stem for a 90mm @ 17degree rise in order to give the little man enough space to fit his legs in the seat. (This went on my Fatbike, converted for spring/summer road/family rides)

All is good! He was a little scared to get in it at first, but I told him I'm a really good rider. Once we got going and hit a few small bumps and cruised a downhill, he was all smiles and giggles!