mtbr member

Recommendations for attaching a bike?

My oldest (5) has been bitten by the bug, and wants me to start taking him riding. I'm completely on board with it, but need some help. A trail-a-bike or trail gator are completely out of the question right now. I'm the sole financial provider for us, and things run tight.

I was thinking something like a long rubber bungie cord ran through a piece of pipe, similar to a trail gator, but without lifting the front wheel.

Attaching in a way that will allow him to follow is a necessity, since he doesn't possess the fine and gross motor skills to constantly and consistently follow a line without dodging out in front of other riders.

So, what are your recommendations?

mtbr member
    Honestly, I don't think it would work well. If he steers off-line, while you are riding straight, you will likely pull him over and he'll crash. I've towed my kids on their longboards, and found that the tow-er and tow-ee constantly pull each other from side to side quite a bit - unless everyone is rolling in a perfectly straight line. Sharp corners get really interesting too.

My tactic was just to ride behind or to the inside of my kids (on very low traffic streets) and verbally herd them back into line. Keep your eyes and ears out for cars coming up from behind, and have your kid pull to the side and stop while the car passes. Drivers typically recognize you're riding wth a small kid and slow way down as they pass. If they got too far out in the travel lane, I would ride out with them so at least an aproaching car would see a larger presence. Just watch out for random brake-tests from your kid.

mtbr member

I understand your concerns with the turning, but two things come to mind.

1. We'll be riding Legacy Trail, a strait 10.1 mile path, with the only turn being us turning around to go back from where we came.

2. With the path being straight, I could make the bars stationary without adverse effects, wouldn't you think?

My son is on the spectrum, and as such, coaching doesn't generally end with a favorable result. The last ride, he took out a roadie who was passing. In my son's defense, the fella didn't make his presence known, and neither one of us recognized the threat until it was too late.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What does "on the spectrum" mean?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I understand your concerns with the turning, but two things come to mind.

1. We'll be riding Legacy Trail, a strait 10.1 mile path, with the only turn being us turning around to go back from where we came.

2. With the path being straight, I could make the bars stationary without adverse effects, wouldn't you think?

My son is on the spectrum, and as such, coaching doesn't generally end with a favorable result. The last ride, he took out a roadie who was passing. In my son's defense, the fella didn't make his presence known, and neither one of us recognized the threat until it was too late.
    It is a bigger disaster waiting to happen. The dynamics and safety of both bikes could be compromised.

Ride with your son in other places until his skills improve and/or you can acquire a proper trailerbike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    What does "on the spectrum" mean?
    My son is on the autism spectrum, as a highly functioning autistic.

mtbr member
    given everything you have listed (nephew on the spectrum) I suggest watching Craig's list for a trail-bike. Too bad you don't live in the seattle area, 57 were posted on CL this week alone with a going rate between $25 and $150.

mtbr member

I see them every once in a blue moon for 50-75, but every time I get to them, they're gone. I would think that since I'm in the same smallish city as Trail Gator, they would be everywhere cheap, but I haven't found a single one used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Avoid the rope or bungee thing. I've seen plenty of people on the multi-use trail with a huge tangle in their hub and a crying kid. The trail-a-bike is rigid, so if you slow, so does the kid. Otherwise, the rope gets caught up in a hub, leading to the inevitable and predictable.