mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Rear BMX hub take 6 or 7 speed freewheel?

I'm looking to put lighter 24" wheels on my sons Specialized mtn bike. Good 24" mtn wheels are hard to come by. I am finding some light 24" bmx race wheels. I know they take a 1 speed freewheel. Does anyone here know if a rear bmx hub will take a 6 or 7 speed freewheel?

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It depends...

BMX rear hubs are normally narrower than the 135mm standard for MTB. From memory they are 110mm so that doesn't leave a lot of room for a cluster.

If they take a screw on freehub then you may be able to put in a longer axle and redish the wheel.

Alternatively, if the freehub is like a single speed with shimano splines and interchangeable gears and you may be able to machine down an XT cluster to work like I did here - adding gears to a BMX. There's plenty of pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

The final hitch you may come up against is that the rim diameter of the 24" bmx wheels is larger than then "standard" 24' mtb wheels. So your existing rim-brakes may not work and your tyre choice will be severely limited to narrow (but light) BMX racing tyres.
    Last edited by TigWorld; 09-08-2010 at 06:39 AM.