mtbr member
    Apr 2005

RBM slayer 24" built to shred

So after a summer trip to Northstar with the fam to do some riding, I knew it was time to start thinking about a new build. My oldest is growing fast and his little brother is ready for a bigger ride too ( the glory of hand-me-downs.)

My son (7) rode the whole mountain, everything but a few dubble dimond runs on his 20" MarinThe 20-pound Geared 20" Hardtail Project (Customized Marin Hidden Canyon) I knew he could ride it but it was the comments from others that made me glow. He honesty was riding at a pace that most adults on the hill had trouble keeping. How those 20" wheels and 1.5" of travel can make it through the rock gardens? I have no idea. I had to lead, and not to pick lines, but to keep my nerves in check.

So anyways, with how hard he rides I knew I didn't want your typical XC bike . We live feet from the trail head of our local riding area and he puts down some miles full of short but steep climbs. So it needed to be tough, light, slack and versatile, I guess what you would call a "AM" style mini rig.
    RBM slayer 24" built to shred-t11.jpg

Me and my boy getting ready to drop in. He was stoked to ride the lift because we usually earn our turns. I have stood on a lot of podiums but nothing feels better than riding with this kid.

RBM slayer 24" built to shred-yard-huck.jpg
    Playing in the yard, sending it!

RBM slayer 24" built to shred-yard-endo.jpg
    The other day I came out to see him doing nose manuals......too many Danny Mac vids
    Last edited by m-dub; 10-27-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    RBM slayer 24" built to shred-bi278a02.jpg

So this is what we ended up with. Slack (68deg HA) and most importantly its geo was build around a 100mm 26" fork. Combine that with a low BB and a price tag of only $350 on sale at JensonUSA, how could I go wrong?

Well........it had a few issues that needed addressed:

33.5lbs (wow, my kid only weighs 60)
    Love the super low bb but the 165mm cranks were just too long.
    The grim reaper holding a scythe is not cool in my or my sons eyes.
    The fork was a pogo stick with no rebound and sprung to stiff.

I sold off the entire kit except for the stem and head set for almost the purchase price...... so let the build begin.
    Last edited by m-dub; 10-27-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    And here you have it
    RBM slayer 24" built to shred-canyon-whip-13-.jpg
    We stripped and bead blasted it,drilled the stops for full cable routing and then powder coated it clear.

RBM slayer 24" built to shred-canyon-whip-18.jpg
    The powder coater thought it would be closer to the fork color but it turned out fine. We are still working on the sticker kit.

Name:  canyon whip 19.JPG
Views: 933
Size:  62.6 KB
    I splurged on the bars. Cut to a 25.5" The flat bar ( combined with the 44mm inset headtube) helps get the front end lower. Thats the only down side to a 26" fork (its tall height.) The super short steer tube was a plus when I came to finding a deal on a fork. Seems its hard to sell a really short ST fork so deals are to be had.

RBM slayer 24" built to shred-canyon-whip-7-.jpg
    USA made and 145mm with a 104 bcd, Bombshell cranks. With the low bb I knew he needed to run a bash so I had to mod the MRP frame mounted guide.

RBM slayer 24" built to shred-canyon-whip-20.jpg
    36hole Hope hubs and Elixer 3 brakes thanks to the MTBR classifieds!
    Last edited by m-dub; 10-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So almost 6 month from start to finish (searching for deals and man they are out there if you have the patience) its done. It weighs in at 24.2lbs (lost over 9 lbs) with some ti pedals and any other bottom bracket ( this one is 350grams!) it could easily sit in the mid to 23's but I don't think he will notice or mind

My big concern with him jumping was the durabilty. I can honestly throw my 185lbs on it, jump the crap out of it and not worry about snapping or bending a thing and that is huge to me.

I figured I could build it for under the cost of a Kona Stinky 24 and have a bit more versatile bike. With a lot of MTBR, E bay and sale shopping, I came in well below that

Specs:

Frame: 10' Rocky Mountain Reaper 24"
    Fork: Fox F100R Pushed 15mm
    Headset: (stock) FSA 44mm internal
    Stem: (stock) 40mm RBM house brand (Straitline 35mm coming)
    Bars: Easton EC70 cut to 25.5" 0' rise 9' sweep
    Grips: A'ME mini (cut flanges) and added Fit bike co. plugs
    Brakes: Elixer 3's with Magura storm SL rotors 140r 160f
    Shifter: X7 with match maker
    Rear Der: X7 short cage
    Chain: 991 hollow pin
    Cassette: 991 11/34
    Cranks: Bombshell 145 sq
    BB: Shimano un54 73/113
    Guide: MRP X1 frame mount (cut to work with a bash ring)
    Bash ring: BBG drilled w/Sette alloy bolts
    Ring: Blackspire 32tooth
    Seat: WTB Lazer V ti
    Clamp: Stock QR
    Tires: 2.1 Kenda small block 8's kevlar bead (have the stock FR tires for shuttle days)
    Tubes: Intense ultra lite ( have the stock FreeRide tubes for shuttle days)
    Rims: Alienation Deviant (both fronts) 36 hole, alloy 14g nipples and 14g stright WS spokes
    Hubs: 36 hole Hope bolt on rear, 15mm front
    Cage: King stainless
    Pad: Redline stem pad.
    Pedals: Wellgo MG1 (Straitline AM coming)

Now the fun begins,getting it dirty and watching him smile~
    Last edited by m-dub; 10-27-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Enjoy every ride!

Wēk Ss
    That's awesome m-dub. I remember seeing that bike @ Jenson and was thinking about it too.

mtbr member
    Sweet Build man.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great build! Another dad making sure there kid has the right tool for the job

Metal Head Mt. Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub View Post
    The grim reaper holding a scythe is not cool in my or my sons eyes.

Blasphemy! lol

Such an awesome build for your son! Good job. I can't wait to get a setup going for my son and get him riding the trails! Your son looks like he's on the way to being a great rider. Congrats.
    Life is like riding a mountain bike. You have to pedal uphill for hours just to enjoy minutes of downhill.

mtbr member
    I'm working on a new build for my daughter right now - 26" wheel XS Gary Fisher frame and just about have it together. Where did you pick up the cranks from - those look like they'd be perfect!!

Thanks,
    Ed

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    I'm working on a new build for my daughter right now - 26" wheel XS Gary Fisher frame and just about have it together. Where did you pick up the cranks from - those look like they'd be perfect!!

Thanks,
    Ed
    I got them from Dan's Comp. Really pleased with them but just fyi, they are bmx cranks so you cant run a granny. Pretty resonable at $78.99 and they always have cupon codes, just goggle em. I was stoked to find out they are Made in the USA too

These are square taper but if you get a little longer set they come in ISIS BB also.

Thanks for all the complements. It was a bit frustrating of a build at times but worth it.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Yeah just saw that part - I've gotta keep the small ring for her. Right now I have the 165's off her previous bike. As it sits she's at 20 pounds (all rigid) and all that's needed is chain and both deraileurs.

Ed

Wēk Ss
    Short Triple Chainring Cranks

You can get anything you want. You can even send in certain crank arms to shorten. I bought his Truvativ Isoflow 140 or 145mm cranks (I forget the exact size), and run the double on my son's 20". A single 28T would work too, on the granny spot, for 1x8/1x9/1x10

One thought/interjection, if your daughter is on a 26", 145mm cranks might be too small. Try 150/152/155. That's the normal size for a 24" wheel bike and should work for someone who barely fits on a 26" wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Short Triple Chainring Cranks

You can get anything you want. You can even send in certain crank arms to shorten. I bought his Truvativ Isoflow 140 or 145mm cranks (I forget the exact size), and run the double on my son's 20". A single 28T would work too, on the granny spot, for 1x8/1x9/1x10

One thought/interjection, if your daughter is on a 26", 145mm cranks might be too small. Try 150/152/155. That's the normal size for a 24" wheel bike and should work for someone who barely fits on a 26" wheel.
    I was going to run shortened ISO Flows with a Widget 28 or 30tooth in the granny position but I had no clearance because the chain stay is really wide and just clears the original 22 in granny position.

We put some miles on it this weekend and the 1X9 is great so far.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    WoW, thats just wicked! I,ve been looking to up grade my son to a 24" and think I found his next bike. Gotta check out Jenson.

mtbr member
    Awesome build, good job!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Bummed. Went to Jenson sight the other day and they still had the bike on there sight. Last night I get the thumps up from my son that he likes it, go to Jenson sight and it's gone! Will be calling today!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slammedsled View Post
    Bummed. Went to Jenson sight the other day and they still had the bike on there sight. Last night I get the thumps up from my son that he likes it, go to Jenson sight and it's gone! Will be calling today!
    I emailed them Monday - sold out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I called them today to get the bad news. now the search continues.