mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Pulling a trailer with a Road Bike?

We are going on a couple longer road bikes this summer with all the kids. We have a 6 and 7 year old, that I'm sure won't make it the full rides. My hope is when they poop out, to ditch their bikes and pull them in a trailer. I have a two seater trailer that I usually pull behind my Mtn Bike on shorter rides.

I have heard concerns of pulling a tag along behind a road bike, but not sure about a trailer? I ride a Specialized Roubaix Comp. on the road. Should I be concerned with the aluminium frame pulling it?

mtbr member
    What concerns have you heard?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I have been told by two different shops, to never put one of our tag-alongs on the road bike. Just didn't know if the same concern with a trailer...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have used my trailer extensively (have 2,4&6 year old) and I will say that by the time the get to be 2-3 years old you are talking about a pretty good chunk of additional weight back there. I noticed that the brakes were really taxed on my road bike and started to think twice about using that to tow them.

I have a hard tail mountain bike and use that for them, usually just solo now though. I took my two older ones for a ride (they were crammed in, it was funny looking) a couple of months ago with the hardtail MTB on some decent hills and i really wore my disc brake pads down and could smell them burning. Now granted I am 205 pounds, so starting with a fair amount of weight. But I think if you are even 180 and you add a 6 & 7 year old into a trailer, you'd be getting up there where you are putting a lot of stress on the brakes. I wouldn't try this on a road bike by any means. Beyond the problem of braking, it's hard to say if the stress on the frame would be enough to cause damage, but it's probably going to be a catastrophic failure that you would wish you hadnt experienced as opposed to just a bend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've attached a cougar 2 kid trailer onto my roady and it worked but as mentioned the brakes were not that great. It was my aluminum crit bike and would not really trust my carbon roady to this abuse but I think your aluminium is fine...those things are over built and if you have the one I'm thinking of I think it has mounting holes for paniers. however,if you are going to sling a couple of their kids bikes on there I'd say your going to go over the 75 lbs cargo capacity.
    I only use my cross bike and mtb for trailering. Chances are with kids that age you're not gonna be hauling ass that much and a mtb or cross bike would be enough.