Thread: Proud of My Son

turtles make me hot

Proud of My Son

For the past two weeks, my nine year old has asked to go on the harder trails where we ride. I told him we'd give it a shot. He rode an entire 6 mile loop with hills and steep rooty descents.
    Then, last Saturday, he begged me to go on my Sunday morning ride. It's usually a ten or twelve mile group ride with some guys who ride pretty fast and us slower guys bring up the rear.
    I said sure... Just be prepared to walk up some climbs. Would you believe he rode everything. I omitted a few super techy spots, but all the climbs, dropoffs, downhills, uphill switchbacks... He tore it up. I was dumfounded.
    And he did it all on his 24" hardtail. it has a 1x10 drivetrain and discs.
    Now he wants his 26er 2x10 done. Trying to wrap it up for the weekend.
    Can't wait.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Fantastic - I bet when he has his 26er you can't keep up!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem View Post
    Fantastic - I bet when he has his 26er you can't keep up!
    That day will be coming all too soon... He's nine. I'm 48.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sweet!

The only thing better than doing it yourself, is watching your kid do it

my 10yo is so short she just got on a 24" bike last week... and she's not really interested in riding anywhere other than to the park or friends houses. my 8yo OTOH, will soon be kicking my butt....
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shupack View Post
    The only thing better than doing it yourself, is watching your kid do it
    It would be hard to find truer written words than that.
    To the OP, that's awesome, can't wait until my lil guy is old enough to follow along and reading this just makes it harder to wait patiently. Happy Rollin'!
    No fuss with the MUSS

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    It would be hard to find truer written words than that.
    To the OP, that's awesome, can't wait until my lil guy is old enough to follow along and reading this just makes it harder to wait patiently. Happy Rollin'!
    That is the absolute truth. My son's been riding trails since he's five. I absolutely enjoyed riding the easy trails with him. Last year, we stepped it up a little and started doing the more difficult trails. This year, he rode most difficult and it was an entirely uplifting experience.
    I'm glad I let it happen on it's own instead of pushing him. One of my co workers was behind him and told me he rides exactly like I do. I couldn't be prouder.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I would be very upset if somebody said my son rides like I do... but I would be delighted if they said I ride like him! I have only been mountain biking for about 6 months, but my 7 year old has been doing it for over a year and he is way better than me already...

turtles make me hot
    I like to think I ride pretty well. My problem is my job. Too much time in a chair and on a train.
    He wants to night ride also. Tried it last Saturday and he loved it. Now that he can do all that stuff, I'll be able to ride more and stay faster.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I wish I was a better rider because it won't be long before I am holding him back. I am improving fast but I don't have the balls my son does (of course I don't, he is a 7 year old daredevil, I am a 36 year old housewife :P )

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That is neat stuff to hear. Here is a weird story. My son has been doing pretty well in races this year. His times are better than mine all the time. Yet when we go out riding he can never seem to keep up with me. Just wondering if he is just trying to make is old Dad feel good about himself. I told him to never hold back when riding with me. Just go as fast as you can. Maybe he just tightens up and worries that I will critique him too much when we ride together. But the race times don't lie. He is already a better rider than me and he is still riding a 26er that weighs just as much as my 29er.

turtles make me hot
    Wow. That's crazy.

We went back to the same place today and added a couple of sections that we didn't do the last time. He rode em. He fell in exactly the same spot one of my friends and I fell in the past. Couple of tears, back on the bike.
    Picked up the front derailleur and cable housing for his new bike today. Just waiting on the brakes and a rear tire. He'll be on the 26er next week.
    ProjectMayhem, good on you for riding with your son.
    I like turtles