Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Goat of Legend

Project Girl's Scott Scale 20

Well, it can't be a junior as my little lady is all girl except when it comes to playing as hard as the boys.

I found a 2008-2009 model Scott Jr Scale 20 on the local Craigslist. It was in descent shape and the price low enough that I could be happy investing some coin to make it the bike she and I wanted,

The original bike

The Original Bike

Sanded and stripped

stripped bare

Rattle can painted with a fade ...Aqua to Metallic Blue

P1070649

Downtube

P1070650

Toptube

P1070651

Seattube/ toptube junction

P1070652

Headtube

P1070654

The Fork with asymetrical two tone

P1070660

P1070658

P1070659

Almost complete

P1070775

Mods so far...

Pink Chris King Headset
    Avid single Digit 3 V Brakes
    Shimano UN55 Bottom Bracket
    Bontrager SX 20x2.00 tires
    Race Face Evolve 26.8 Seatpost
    Easton 50mm stem
    Truvativ Hussefelt 2 inch riser bars
    Front and rear wheel axles taken apart and repacked with grease

Ordered and/or yet to install

Pink cable housing shifter and brakes
    Sram X3 rear derailleur and trigger shifter
    IRD 7 speed 13-32 freewheel (originally 6 speed 13-28, went with IRD due to no huge jumps between gears..13, 15, 17, 21, 24, 28, 32)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A sweet project. Where did you get the pink housing. LBS or eBay?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice one! I gotta start preparing for something similar in about 2 years... my daughter still rides the 16" :-)

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mhkang
    A sweet project. Where did you get the pink housing. LBS or eBay?
    Thanks!
    Jagwire makes pink housing as well as several other colors and if you search Amazon you can find some cheaper brands.

Now older but less slow!
    Impressive paint job. Did you, or are you going to, clear coat over the stickers?

Glad you went with the X3 derailleur. I thought I would try an X4 as an upgrade but found out that the long cage is too long for a 20 inch wheel. Did you find a medium cage X3?

rebmem rbtm
    Inspiring work

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn
    Impressive paint job. Did you, or are you going to, clear coat over the stickers?

Glad you went with the X3 derailleur. I thought I would try an X4 as an upgrade but found out that the long cage is too long for a 20 inch wheel. Did you find a medium cage X3?
    There is about 10 coats of clear coat over the stickers then 3 coats of Turtle Wax Ice.

I'm trying a long cage myself. We'll see how it works and go from there. I'm not taking her on anything too technical and talked to a guy who had one on his kids bike that worked well.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonX9
    Nice one! I gotta start preparing for something similar in about 2 years... my daughter still rides the 16" :-)
    Yeah, My daughter turned 7 in April. She bought this bike herself with the birthday money she got. She's been riding a 16 inch for the past two years and within the last 4 months I had to raise the seat to the minimum insertion mark on the seatpost. She's 49 inches tall which is mostly in her legs and this bike with the longer stem had her stretched out, hoping the 50mm with a slight backtwist of the 2 inch risers will help this. She is super stoked and can't wait to ride it.

mtbr member
    Very nice!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Yeah, My daughter turned 7 in April. She bought this bike herself with the birthday money she got. She's been riding a 16 inch for the past two years and within the last 4 months I had to raise the seat to the minimum insertion mark on the seatpost. She's 49 inches tall which is mostly in her legs and this bike with the longer stem had her stretched out, hoping the 50mm with a slight backtwist of the 2 inch risers will help this. She is super stoked and can't wait to ride it.
    Nice, Jeremy! My daughter just turned 7 in April also and riding her first mtb. We should get together and do a family dirt ride some time.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosayno
    Nice, Jeremy! My daughter just turned 7 in April also and riding her first mtb. We should get together and do a family dirt ride some time.
    Right on!! I'd be down for that!! A few more days for the remaining parts to show.

Goat of Legend
    One of the issues I had with the Scott Scale Jr 20 is the 42x34 chainrings that are basically press-fitted on the crankset. I live in Colorado and we have a few small hills here and there and want a little easier gear for my girl to push.

I took her original cranks and cut off the large chainring and cut the 34 tooth chain ring leaving a "spider". I then measured and drilled out 104 bcd bolt spacing on the "spider" and mounted a 32 tooth Surly ring and a bash-guard I had laying in the parts bin.

The original crank and rings

P1070798

P1070800

modified crank...the original bolts that held the inner ring on were stripped and seized. I drilled them out and used some stainless bolts and nylon locking nuts to reinstall the cut "spider". The nuts clear the frame by about 3 mm which works for the size of the holes, 3/8's in diameter but add some weight. I'm looking into better solutions.

P1070802

P1070803

Its off dead center by a mm or two but biopace was cool once right?

Actually, I'll be going to a machinist soon to have him make me a better "spider" but this one will hold until I can get it made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Its off dead center by a mm or two but biopace was cool once right?

Actually, I'll be going to a machinist soon to have him make me a better "spider" but this one will hold until I can get it made.
    Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember biopace and actually had it on my old Vitus 979 road bike.

I can appreciate the amount of work you are putting into the cranks as I've personally done similar things on my sons bike. If the machinist cost you money, you may want to think about getting a Sinz, Redline or AC mini LE crank. They start as small as 125mm and go up to 175mm in 5mm increments. The Sinz start at $49.99 so you will need to figure out the time/effort vs. cost. Regardless, very cool build.

mtbr member
    Do you have a old spare crank lying around? I took two old Shimano LX and Specialized Strongarm cranks, cut the crank arms down to 130mm and wrapped them with carbon fiber. My son's bike only uses the granny front ring and my daughter's has the granny and middle ring. The granny comes in handy for Colorado riding. My daughter and I went out for a ride around the neighborhood last week and she was hammering this really big hill in her granny. She was grunting and whining but she pushed on and made it up. Proud daddy moment for me.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Do you have a old spare crank lying around? I took two old Shimano LX and Specialized Strongarm cranks, cut the crank arms down to 130mm and wrapped them with carbon fiber. My son's bike only uses the granny front ring and my daughter's has the granny and middle ring. The granny comes in handy for Colorado riding. My daughter and I went out for a ride around the neighborhood last week and she was hammering this really big hill in her granny. She was grunting and whining but she pushed on and made it up. Proud daddy moment for me.
    I will be in touch soon!

Goat of Legend
    Chain goes on tomorrow and it'll be ready for my oldest to ride. Looks like just in time as my 4 year old just graduated to pedals today!

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My soon to be eight year old girl is starting to enjoy riding off-pavement with me. We've been on dirt and gravel roads and now she wants a "mountain bike" which I think means something with gears to her. I looked up the bike mentioned in this thread and it appears to be selling for over $400? That is way out of my price range for a kids bike.

I'd like to be in the $150-200 range at the most. I don't think she needs a full mountain bike but she does need more than "one" gear. What would be your suggestions?

Now older but less slow!
    You won't get a quality new "kids" bike for $150-200. In fact I would argue that most new bikes are not "quality" in the kids range.

With that said you should be about to get a couple year old Trek, Specialized , Scott or Marin for that money.

The better 24" bikes have a 3x7 gearing set up. If you don't have much in the way of hills a 1x7 will be fine.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
    My soon to be eight year old girl is starting to enjoy riding off-pavement with me. We've been on dirt and gravel roads and now she wants a "mountain bike" which I think means something with gears to her. I looked up the bike mentioned in this thread and it appears to be selling for over $400? That is way out of my price range for a kids bike.

I'd like to be in the $150-200 range at the most. I don't think she needs a full mountain bike but she does need more than "one" gear. What would be your suggestions?
    I bought the original version of this bike off Craigslist for $120 and it was perfectly ride-able as it was. I'd say watch Craigslist and Ebay and you'll be able to find a capable used ride for considerably less then new.

Goat of Legend

The Finished Bike!

Finally finished the bike today. She loves it and is riding really well for her 1st geared bike with hand brakes. The X3 trigger shifter was the was to go!

P1070830

P1070829

the long cage rear derailluer is admittedly a little long but it'll do till I can find a medium cage replacement

P1070828

The 7 speed IRD freewheel is a thing of beauty...better be for $45

P1070827

The lock on grips will eventually be replaced with the 30mm ESI silicone Racer Grips

P1070826

P1070825

just so happened to have a pink Chris King headset that wasn't seeing any use

P1070831

Avid Single Digit 3R's for the stoppers

P1070832

P1070833

Almost two months in the making and a very happy girl as a final result. Weeeeee!!!

P1070837

rebmem rbtm
    Almost two months in the making and a very happy girl as a final result. Weeeeee!!!

P1070837
    Great stuff! My daughter says she likes the handle bar streamers

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca
    Great stuff! My daughter says she likes the handle bar streamers
    Streamers are the in thing for the girls.

Couple of local endurance ladies all sport streamers...couldn't let tradition pass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well done! She looks very happy. Enjoy a new riding companion.

Goat of Legend
    I ended up replacing the long cage X3 derailleur and stock Scott seat this morning. I had an old Sram Duel Drive Medium Cage rear derailleur and a Terry Butterfly saddle in a hidden stash of parts that I found this morning. I thought the saddle would be too big for her but she says its more comfortable and that is what matters.

P1070861

P1070860

P1070862

mtbr member
    How old is your girl?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast