Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049

    Project Girl's Scott Scale 20

    Well, it can't be a junior as my little lady is all girl except when it comes to playing as hard as the boys.

    I found a 2008-2009 model Scott Jr Scale 20 on the local Craigslist. It was in descent shape and the price low enough that I could be happy investing some coin to make it the bike she and I wanted,

    The original bike

    The Original Bike

    Sanded and stripped

    stripped bare

    Rattle can painted with a fade ...Aqua to Metallic Blue

    P1070649

    Downtube

    P1070650

    Toptube

    P1070651

    Seattube/ toptube junction

    P1070652

    Headtube

    P1070654

    The Fork with asymetrical two tone

    P1070660

    P1070658

    P1070659

    Almost complete

    P1070775

    Mods so far...

    Pink Chris King Headset
    Avid single Digit 3 V Brakes
    Shimano UN55 Bottom Bracket
    Bontrager SX 20x2.00 tires
    Race Face Evolve 26.8 Seatpost
    Easton 50mm stem
    Truvativ Hussefelt 2 inch riser bars
    Front and rear wheel axles taken apart and repacked with grease

    Ordered and/or yet to install

    Pink cable housing shifter and brakes
    Sram X3 rear derailleur and trigger shifter
    IRD 7 speed 13-32 freewheel (originally 6 speed 13-28, went with IRD due to no huge jumps between gears..13, 15, 17, 21, 24, 28, 32)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11
    A sweet project. Where did you get the pink housing. LBS or eBay?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1
    Nice one! I gotta start preparing for something similar in about 2 years... my daughter still rides the 16" :-)

  4. #4
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by mhkang
    A sweet project. Where did you get the pink housing. LBS or eBay?
    Thanks!
    Jagwire makes pink housing as well as several other colors and if you search Amazon you can find some cheaper brands.

  5. #5
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,656
    Impressive paint job. Did you, or are you going to, clear coat over the stickers?

    Glad you went with the X3 derailleur. I thought I would try an X4 as an upgrade but found out that the long cage is too long for a 20 inch wheel. Did you find a medium cage X3?

  6. #6
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation: alex_sdca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    173
    Inspiring work

  7. #7
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn
    Impressive paint job. Did you, or are you going to, clear coat over the stickers?

    Glad you went with the X3 derailleur. I thought I would try an X4 as an upgrade but found out that the long cage is too long for a 20 inch wheel. Did you find a medium cage X3?
    There is about 10 coats of clear coat over the stickers then 3 coats of Turtle Wax Ice.

    I'm trying a long cage myself. We'll see how it works and go from there. I'm not taking her on anything too technical and talked to a guy who had one on his kids bike that worked well.

  8. #8
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonX9
    Nice one! I gotta start preparing for something similar in about 2 years... my daughter still rides the 16" :-)
    Yeah, My daughter turned 7 in April. She bought this bike herself with the birthday money she got. She's been riding a 16 inch for the past two years and within the last 4 months I had to raise the seat to the minimum insertion mark on the seatpost. She's 49 inches tall which is mostly in her legs and this bike with the longer stem had her stretched out, hoping the 50mm with a slight backtwist of the 2 inch risers will help this. She is super stoked and can't wait to ride it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BeginnerCycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,413
    Very nice!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Yeah, My daughter turned 7 in April. She bought this bike herself with the birthday money she got. She's been riding a 16 inch for the past two years and within the last 4 months I had to raise the seat to the minimum insertion mark on the seatpost. She's 49 inches tall which is mostly in her legs and this bike with the longer stem had her stretched out, hoping the 50mm with a slight backtwist of the 2 inch risers will help this. She is super stoked and can't wait to ride it.
    Nice, Jeremy! My daughter just turned 7 in April also and riding her first mtb. We should get together and do a family dirt ride some time.

  11. #11
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosayno
    Nice, Jeremy! My daughter just turned 7 in April also and riding her first mtb. We should get together and do a family dirt ride some time.
    Right on!! I'd be down for that!! A few more days for the remaining parts to show.

  12. #12
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    One of the issues I had with the Scott Scale Jr 20 is the 42x34 chainrings that are basically press-fitted on the crankset. I live in Colorado and we have a few small hills here and there and want a little easier gear for my girl to push.

    I took her original cranks and cut off the large chainring and cut the 34 tooth chain ring leaving a "spider". I then measured and drilled out 104 bcd bolt spacing on the "spider" and mounted a 32 tooth Surly ring and a bash-guard I had laying in the parts bin.

    The original crank and rings

    P1070798

    P1070800

    modified crank...the original bolts that held the inner ring on were stripped and seized. I drilled them out and used some stainless bolts and nylon locking nuts to reinstall the cut "spider". The nuts clear the frame by about 3 mm which works for the size of the holes, 3/8's in diameter but add some weight. I'm looking into better solutions.

    P1070802

    P1070803

    Its off dead center by a mm or two but biopace was cool once right?

    Actually, I'll be going to a machinist soon to have him make me a better "spider" but this one will hold until I can get it made.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post

    Its off dead center by a mm or two but biopace was cool once right?

    Actually, I'll be going to a machinist soon to have him make me a better "spider" but this one will hold until I can get it made.
    Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember biopace and actually had it on my old Vitus 979 road bike.

    I can appreciate the amount of work you are putting into the cranks as I've personally done similar things on my sons bike. If the machinist cost you money, you may want to think about getting a Sinz, Redline or AC mini LE crank. They start as small as 125mm and go up to 175mm in 5mm increments. The Sinz start at $49.99 so you will need to figure out the time/effort vs. cost. Regardless, very cool build.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Actually, I'll be going to a machinist soon to have him make me a better "spider" but this one will hold until I can get it made.
    Do you have a old spare crank lying around? I took two old Shimano LX and Specialized Strongarm cranks, cut the crank arms down to 130mm and wrapped them with carbon fiber. My son's bike only uses the granny front ring and my daughter's has the granny and middle ring. The granny comes in handy for Colorado riding. My daughter and I went out for a ride around the neighborhood last week and she was hammering this really big hill in her granny. She was grunting and whining but she pushed on and made it up. Proud daddy moment for me.

  15. #15
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Do you have a old spare crank lying around? I took two old Shimano LX and Specialized Strongarm cranks, cut the crank arms down to 130mm and wrapped them with carbon fiber. My son's bike only uses the granny front ring and my daughter's has the granny and middle ring. The granny comes in handy for Colorado riding. My daughter and I went out for a ride around the neighborhood last week and she was hammering this really big hill in her granny. She was grunting and whining but she pushed on and made it up. Proud daddy moment for me.
    I will be in touch soon!

  16. #16
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Chain goes on tomorrow and it'll be ready for my oldest to ride. Looks like just in time as my 4 year old just graduated to pedals today!

    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    My soon to be eight year old girl is starting to enjoy riding off-pavement with me. We've been on dirt and gravel roads and now she wants a "mountain bike" which I think means something with gears to her. I looked up the bike mentioned in this thread and it appears to be selling for over $400? That is way out of my price range for a kids bike.

    I'd like to be in the $150-200 range at the most. I don't think she needs a full mountain bike but she does need more than "one" gear. What would be your suggestions?

  18. #18
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,656
    You won't get a quality new "kids" bike for $150-200. In fact I would argue that most new bikes are not "quality" in the kids range.

    With that said you should be about to get a couple year old Trek, Specialized , Scott or Marin for that money.

    The better 24" bikes have a 3x7 gearing set up. If you don't have much in the way of hills a 1x7 will be fine.

  19. #19
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
    My soon to be eight year old girl is starting to enjoy riding off-pavement with me. We've been on dirt and gravel roads and now she wants a "mountain bike" which I think means something with gears to her. I looked up the bike mentioned in this thread and it appears to be selling for over $400? That is way out of my price range for a kids bike.

    I'd like to be in the $150-200 range at the most. I don't think she needs a full mountain bike but she does need more than "one" gear. What would be your suggestions?
    I bought the original version of this bike off Craigslist for $120 and it was perfectly ride-able as it was. I'd say watch Craigslist and Ebay and you'll be able to find a capable used ride for considerably less then new.

  20. #20
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049

    The Finished Bike!

    Finally finished the bike today. She loves it and is riding really well for her 1st geared bike with hand brakes. The X3 trigger shifter was the was to go!

    P1070830

    P1070829

    the long cage rear derailluer is admittedly a little long but it'll do till I can find a medium cage replacement

    P1070828

    The 7 speed IRD freewheel is a thing of beauty...better be for $45

    P1070827

    The lock on grips will eventually be replaced with the 30mm ESI silicone Racer Grips

    P1070826

    P1070825

    just so happened to have a pink Chris King headset that wasn't seeing any use

    P1070831

    Avid Single Digit 3R's for the stoppers

    P1070832

    P1070833

    Almost two months in the making and a very happy girl as a final result. Weeeeee!!!

    P1070837

  21. #21
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation: alex_sdca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Almost two months in the making and a very happy girl as a final result. Weeeeee!!!

    P1070837
    Great stuff! My daughter says she likes the handle bar streamers

  22. #22
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca
    Great stuff! My daughter says she likes the handle bar streamers
    Streamers are the in thing for the girls.

    Couple of local endurance ladies all sport streamers...couldn't let tradition pass.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    184
    Well done! She looks very happy. Enjoy a new riding companion.

  24. #24
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    I ended up replacing the long cage X3 derailleur and stock Scott seat this morning. I had an old Sram Duel Drive Medium Cage rear derailleur and a Terry Butterfly saddle in a hidden stash of parts that I found this morning. I thought the saddle would be too big for her but she says its more comfortable and that is what matters.

    P1070861

    P1070860

    P1070862

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,240
    How old is your girl?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •