Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Project Columbia

Hey all. Just picked up this 20Ē sized rim MTB for $20 off CraigsList. I really like the frame and needed something to do. Like I said the frame is really cool as it is a tig welded & gusseted os aluminum and square-tubing mixed concept. My plan is to go for a superlight setup replacing steel with carbon and thin-walled aluminum. This is another one of those crazy bikes where they made a great frame then threw a bunch of heavy cheaply made steel components on it.
    I have three things that Iím looking for input and suggestions on. I am looking at replacing the crank, shock/fork, and rims right now and hence my questions.

1) On the crank, Iím simply going to replace the steel crank with a Sinz aluminum. The current crank is 140mm. Should I go with the same or drop down to a 130 or 135? My son is 7 yrs old. 49Ē tall with an inseam of 20Ē so not really thinking a shorter length crank is necessary unless Iím missing something like ground clearance etc.

2) I am pondering replacing the fork with a straight fork but havenít given up the thought of another suspension fork. What are suggestions I can go with for each and what is the weight penalty? I didnít seem to find anything that was just a straight fork that would use v-brakes and keep the same frame to wheel axle distance. Any options?

3) And lastly Iím playing with the idea lacing up some super light rims. Anyone have experience of what hub & rim combinations that came out really light when finished? I have a Shimano Megarange MF-T207 7-speed cluster on the current rim and am thinking of keeping it as the gear ratios are really nice.

PS. the chainring is a 40T. Stick with the 40T or ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Columbia-columbia.jpg  

Project Columbia-columbia-old-crank.jpg  

Project Columbia-columbia-front.jpg  

Project Columbia-columbia-stem-bars.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow, that looks like quite the little project you have going on! Will you be posting updates as the project moves forward? I'll be interested as I'm in somewhat of the same boat with my daughter's bike. Happy building!

mtbr member
    Yup! Stay tuned. Some parts are in the mail already. This is going to be fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Your bike is very similar to my daughter's. She has a 40T chainring with 140mm cranks (looks identical from your pic). Soon as my hubby gives me the ok, I'll be ordering Sinz 120mm cranks, 34T chainring and Sinz BB.

I already changed the rear from 6-speed to a 7-speed Mega-range. Had to change the shifter too of course and we went with trigger because she could not twist the grip shifter. Just doing that has been a big improvement already.

This is soooo much fun!

mtbr member
    Wow! The frames do look a bit similar. Is the KHS aluminum? I only see a couple subtle differences which is the type of butt weld and angles at the head-tube and the location of the rear brake cable bosses.

I read somewhere that the frames for the Columbia bikes were built by Ironhorse Bikes in Wisconsin. As I inspect the frame I am really impressed at the quality of craftmanship that was put into it. The welds couldn't be more perfect and everything is straight and true. The PO said it was ridden only about a half dozen times which is evident by the amount of tread left on the tires. Too bad they left it outside in the rain and elements. Good thing the frame is aluminum and I can pretty much toss most of the rusted out junk.

The search for parts has not been super encouraging as I really wanted to put some super light parts on it but am having difficulty locating. For the cranks, stem, and forks I wanted to put something on made of carbon-fiber but have only been able to find aluminum. Not the worse thing in the world but it just would have looked out of this world if I was able to pull it off. Will have to just keeping searching bike shops and the internet. So far I've just had a little time after work to take some measurements and start cleaning up the frame a bit getting all the unwanted stickers, adhesive, dirt, & grease off. The stickers are being stubborn and I will have to go after with some Goo Gone tonight. All the other dirt came off with Simple Green.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Is the KHS aluminum?
    That was my only requirment when shopping for a build. I did weigh it on my bathroom scale when we got home (yeah I know, not the most accurate) and it came in at 24.5 lbs. I didn't think that was too bad and I knew we could lighten it considerably.

The search for parts has not been super encouraging as I really wanted to put some super light parts on it but am having difficulty locating.
    I've searched high and low for a rigid fork (carbon was my first choice too) with V-brake mounts. Only found a couple and usually the A to C measurement is way off. So far, a mod trials fork is the best bet. But the better ones aren't here in the US, they're in Europe! Grrrrr! LOL!

Are you going to have the frame painted (or powdercoat)? I've been thinking of having it done.

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought my son the same Colombia bike used. His was in VERY good shape and was always garaged. I don't believe the kid hardly ever rode it.

We have done minimal upgrades at this point. We are waiting for winter to roll in and then we will start the changes. For now we have upgraded the brake levers to Avid Speed Dial 7's. Replaced all of the cables. Upgraded pedals to platforms. Added a Minoura bottle cage to the back of the seat for short rides. Have some new RaceFace Deus 3/4 risers and a new 65mm reach, 40 deg. rise stem to drop on. Am also going to upgrade his tires and those Kendas are bricks!

I also have my daughters Trek MT 220 24" to upgrade and paint this winter as well. She wants a custom paint job. House of Kolors Pavo Purple and Sunset Pearl Orange $$$ Really!?!?!? Paint job is gonna be worth more than the bike!!!

Once I have a few more posts I'll drop some pictures on here.
    Last edited by jr2; 10-03-2012 at 08:12 PM.

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Also...

If you want a lightweight stem without a name tag for $$ savings try these guys..

crowcycleco.com/bicycle-components/stem/stem-for-1-1-8-steerer-31-8mm-bars-65mm-reach-40-deg-rise.html

(sorry, you'll have to cut and paste)
    Quality piece at a fraction of the price of name brands.

mtbr member
    JonnyScotti yeah I found the same problem with the forks! Ugh!!! I actually really like paint that's on it. It almost looks like a powder-coated satin finish. If it were scratched badly then I might think about doing that. I've got a nice vintage Cilo road bike that I'm considering doing that to as its pretty bad but just can't bring myself to doing it yet because of the nostalgia of the bike.

mtbr member
    Hi Jr2! I hope you find some of this thread useful. I'm not super fast so it may take some time to complete my project too but I'm going to push myself to work on this bike as much as possible. I see that stem in your link and it does look fairly decent. I think I've found something a little lighter though. I'm considering buying this one which is $20 and only weighs 100 grams. Take a dremel tool to the inside and remove some of the excess flashing and you may have a sub 100 stem. 75~90 grams?

FIXIE ALLOY "SHORT" STEM - RED, FORGED ALUMINUM, fixed gear road bike bicycle | eBay

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have seen those. Problem I have is -7deg on the stem and the reach. Your going to have to run a pretty tall rise bar to accommodate for that. Real tall rise depending on the kid. I was looking for a taller rise and shorter reach so the bars don't look like ape hangers.

There are still other options out there though. A ton of bmx type stems but they are all 25.4mm clamp.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bmx+green+stem&_sacat=0&_odkw=mtb+bmx+green+stem&_osacat=0&_from=R40

For me it comes down to usability and cost. He's 6 and growing Fast . I bet he's in a 24" within a year, year and a half at best. His sister is 8 and she's killin the 24". Kids don't have a chance to be small. I'm 6' 2' and Mom is 5' 10".
    Last edited by jr2; 10-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Had to work a 12 hr. day today which really sucked and I'm totally beat! But when I got home I found my first new hop up in the mail box. $35, only 133 grams, and very pretty!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Columbia-carbon-seatpost-27.2-133grams.jpg  

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very nice....

mtbr member
    Jr2 I 100% agree with you which is the exact reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. We're thinking alike.

This is the one I'm considering instead but has a slight weight penalty because of the higher angle and length.

What are your thoughts?

Bike Bicycle Fixie +/-30 Degree 60mm Threadless Alloy Handlebar Stem 25.4 Red | eBay

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like that one better too but, it still has a 60mm reach and only a 30mm rise. Better but, it still pulls the bars away from them and still a bit low. Again, that's all pending on the size of the kid though. I base my opinions on my kids size so to each their own kid! There's no 2 alike.

I have ridden for more years than I care to admit. BMX, Cruiser, MTB. I spent too much time down over the bars because that's what the times/technology depicted. Today's geometry and COMFORT are a much better option. For me as well as my kids' future.
    Last edited by jr2; 10-16-2012 at 08:30 PM.

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ya know, you could get that Crow stem down a bit in weight by going with a hollow bolt kit. They are relatively cheap if you save enough on the cost of the stem.

.ebay.com/itm/320943324813?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

mtbr member
    Hummm.. Now you've got me thinking a little more about geometry. How tall is your little one? I like the idea of the hollow bolts. Ti would be nice too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Oh! That post is VERY pretty!

I'm thinking about this stem for my girl. My husband is a machinist so I can have him machine off the excess materials... Spank Spoon Stem > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Stems | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    A weight weenies' delight eh? ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    A weight weenies' delight eh? ;-)
    Hahahaha! Yup!

mtbr member
    New derailleur came. Before & after pics. This is the RD-TX31. I believe these were replaced with the cheaper TX35 version but I found this older stock onlne. Notice the size of the extra large pulley wheels for smoother shifting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Columbia-der-b4.jpg  

Project Columbia-der-after.jpg  

Project Columbia-der-369.jpg  

jr2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hummm.. Now you've got me thinking a little more about geometry. How tall is your little one? I like the idea of the hollow bolts. Ti would be nice too.
    Whats the latest Rondo?

My Son is about 49" and 60lbs.. He's got a pretty good reach on him and his torso is like mine "tall" so he's not a small guy.

mtbr member
    Oh Man, week from hell. Went on a sail trip for a week then when I got home I had a water leak under the house and had to fix. 6ft.x 4ft. hole and a 1" coupler later it's finally fixed. But Iím beat! Oh yeah right before I left on vacation I was in a 5 car pileup accident and my vehicle is now in the shop for a while waiting to get an estimate from the other guys insurance company. Looks like I'll be working from home for a few weeks. Ugh!

Anyway I thought I would take today off from life pile driving on me and work on the bike a little bit. (My form of relaxation.) I started pulling all the crappy heavy rusted steel components off and work on cleaning up the frame as much as possible. Most of the pieces came apart quite easily to my surprise. Some were even so loose that I could turn by hand. I was blown away by the sealed bearing headset that was on the frame! Wow! A decent component that I will probably leave on the final bike! When I got to the stickers all the fun came to a screeching halt. They peeled off in little chunks the thickness of your fingernail. I finally got them all off but it pretty much took me all day. The logos are painted on the frame and it looks like they did a very high quality job doing it as I couldnít get it off with any type of cleaner I tried. The rest of the from came clean with degreaser, Goof-Off, and widow cleaner. Got the bolts out of the crank arms but the arms themselves seem like theyíre rusted onto the spindle. I lost my puller so ordered one on-line and am now in waiting mode for the tool to arrive so I can continue.

I got a chance to admire the bike for a little bit. The more I look at it the more Iím really liking it! Iíll probably pick up a little touch up paint to cover the few little nicks & scratches but overall this frame is pretty darn nice. Still canít believe I got the bike for twenty bucksÖ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Columbia-clean924.jpg  

Project Columbia-clean925.jpg  

Project Columbia-clean926.jpg  

PRETENDURO
    When I saw the first picture you posted, I saw immediate potential. Glad to see youíre stripping it all the way down and starting over from scratch, hard to go wrong on an aluminum frame based kidís bike.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    The rest of the from came clean with degreaser, Goof-Off, and widow cleaner.
    If I should be so lucky someday, I might wish upon a shiny star for the ever-elusive widow cleaner. Thanks for the tip.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast