mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Pressure/Vol for Ghetto Tubeless on Stans Crest 24/Rocket Ron

Anyone know how much air is needed to get a Rocket Ron seated onto a Crest 24?

I've got a screw cap and a 2L bottle buts its a really thin Morrisons lemonade bottle. I'm going to pressure test it with water... but wondered what sort of pressure I need?

I'm thinking the Stans don't need that much....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Why are you running ghetto tubeless on stans?

Anyway I was able to seat a non-tubeless tire on Stans Arches with 45psi.
    Redline D880
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Why are you running ghetto tubeless on stans?

Anyway I was able to seat a non-tubeless tire on Stans Arches with 45psi.
    More the inflation method..... I'm still building the Stans and ordered the tubless valves.... but paying for yellow tape seems a bit pointless when I've got loads of 1" duct tape.

My track pump isn't the biggest but I've got some old valves and a fizzy drink bottle... maybe the pump will work...??? If not I was planning to just try a fizzy drink bottle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I used an air shot for Lewis's crests wraped with gorilla tape. TBH the tape doesn't really matter. The rons as not as easy to inflate than the other 24 inch tyres I've used.

mtbr member
    Gorilla, or old silver duct tape? gorilla is OK, I wouldn't trust duct tape. Clear gorilla is even better.

Getting the tire to seat should be a simple thing if you can get the bead on the shelf. Use a tube first to get the tire to take shape. Remove one side of the tire, remove the tube and put in the valve, and put the tire back on. If you can get the tire to seat, remove the valve core, add the stans, air it back up.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Do you know the pressure and volume of the airshock...???
    It doesn't look that large in photo's ??? I'm guessing maybe a litre?

It seems a lot of hassle to work out the internal tyre volume but assuming an ideal gas and 100% turbulent flow then 2L @ 50 psi should be similar to 1L @ 100 psi (I never thought about humidity before ...)

I just tried a pump indicated 60 psi in 2 litres using a door as a safety device.... no explosion...I'm really making sure once I stick the sealant in I've got contingencies covered!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Gorilla, or old silver duct tape? gorilla is OK, I wouldn't trust duct tape. Clear gorilla is even better.
    T-Rex Duct Tape (L)9.14m (W)28mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

It really feels (somewhat subjectively) thicker and more airtight than gorilla .....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    Do you know the pressure and volume of the airshock...???
    It doesn't look that large in photo's ??? I'm guessing maybe a litre?
    Stop doing PV=nRT math, just get a tank. A simple 10-gallon oil lubricated compressor is a great thing to have around the house. Lasts years and years. Alternative, grab a 5-gallon tank. Most places with have one similar. wally world, home depot, lowes.
    5 Gallon Portable Air Tank

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I used a pepsi bottle wrapped in gorrilla tape before I got the airshot. about 60psi should do it but you might have to keep pumping when the air is gone. just buy the airshot, pump to 140psi and it inflates any tyre. I put washing up liquid on the bead which helps it seal, also put sealant into it when inflating

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Wow ... wheels now finished. With a mix of 99p CX-Rray and some £2 CX-ray... Stans and Novatec D771/D772 (which superstar are currently selling at GBP 59.99 the pair..)

Total weight (no rim tape, skewers, disks or cassette) 1304g

Pressure to inflate using the T-REX tape (seems very airtight) was easily supplied via track pump .... pinged onto the hub at 40 psi.... no washing up liquid/ no sealant unbelievably simple... so I'll have to work out if I take the tyre partly off or try and inject sealant through the valve ??? (will a shimano brake syringe fit inside the value I wonder)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    ... or try and inject sealant through the valve ??? (will a shimano brake syringe fit inside the value I wonder)
    If it's a presta valve with removable core, easy. Unscrew the core (spoke wrench works well if you don't have the $$$ presta valve core tool), put on the tubing over the valve, squeeze the bottle.

If it does not have a removable core, more difficult, but can still be done with orange seal (more liquid, not as many chunks.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I put the sealant in the tyre before putting it on the rim - decent weight for the wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    First time for everything .... including tubeless....

Well.... got the Stans liquid in.... and
    Tyre 1 was simple....
    Tyre 2 ... weirdly was a pain to get on (ended up using tyre levers) .. both tyres have previously been used with tubes on old (but different front to back wheel) rims... of course the difficult one was the one I'd pre-poured the Stans figuring "Getting that on and sealed was easy"...

Ha Ha.... so then I finally got the tyre on... with sealant and added some extra through the valve (just using a Shimano hydraulic syringe) ....cleaned up a bit spilled...

Then ... pressurised them .... and started to find the punctures.... (POAH - now see what you mean about the Rocket Rons)

These sealed themselves eventually but still had air bleeding from the part right next to the beads/rim .... left them overnight and still substantially inflated....

I figured the more Stans I force into any holes the better... so pumped one up .... pump wasn't showing an increase over 40psi but it felt like a road bike tubeless and pumping got very hard... so I figure the gauge is screwed....

anyway ... kept pumping and BANG..... the WHOLE tyre blew off the rim ....
    (This is at about 05:30AM ) .... Very upset OH who presumably thought someone had entered with a gun - gave me a heck of a scare.... thought the tyre was shredded...

Turns out not ... after mopping Stans sealant from walls, kitchen tiles and pretty much everywhere... I looked and the bead seemed fine... stuck it back on and reinflated ... and it's currently holding what feels like 60 psi... (don't trust pump anymore)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

mtbr member
    yea, 40 psi max on tubeless. If the tire blew off the rim, I'm surprised you didn't damage the rim or the tire bead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    yea, 40 psi max on tubeless. If the tire blew off the rim, I'm surprised you didn't damage the rim or the tire bead.
    So was I ... It certainly sounded like the end of one or both.... Scared the pants off me.

I cleared the mess up first ... All the time thinking one or both were damaged so was nicely surprised

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    So despite all the compressor stuff .... I just changed a tyre/tire over and didn't even need to take out the valve, indeed I could probably have used a handpump not even the floor pump....