mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Powerstraps and Clipless Pedals

My daughter is young (just turned 5) and light (40#) but has a big foot (sz 1) and she has been riding powerstraps for a good month or so, and has had no problem getting out of them. The powerstraps have made her more confident on downhills and stronger on the uphills.

Before she has a problem of putting too much weight on the seat and not the feet, so she is much more secure on the bike. The bad thing is that the powerstraps are not the easiest thing for her to get on her kickstand foot (the foot that is on the ground when she first takes off). And she has had a couple near wrecks trying to get it on while she starts pedaling. Then the fear of her catching the strap on a rock when she has it upside down is also concerning.

I started with toe clips when I was much older (19), and quickly went to SPDs. I don't think the toe clips did anything for me in terms of making it easier to get used to SPDs, and if anything was a step backwards. As I went from a pull off (flat pedal) to a pull back (toe clip / powerstrap) to a twist (SPD). So I think instead of her getting used to the pull back, might as well go to the twist.

I know five is young, but my daughter is not your ordinary young rider. So would anyone recommend a pedal that has a secure connection, but has minimum effort (torque) needed to disengage? I'll be getting the Fly Racing Talon 2 shoes since that seems to be the only shoe that is made for small feet.

Thanks for any info - BS

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Go for Shimano PD-T400 and PD-T420. Our son has ridden SPD on the Trailer Bike after his 6th birthday. After a few rides we tried it on his Islabikes and he managed quite well. The torque for the twist and entry is much lower than any other SPD pedal I know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks deadpixel, that is exactly what I was looking for.