mtbr member

Platform Pedals for Kids?

Anyone have any recommendations for platform pedals that have good grip, yet aren't too bad about biting into legs?
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for platform pedals that have good grip, yet aren't too bad about biting into legs?
    For kids I've had good luck with Wellgo MG-1s. Usually I buy them off eBay. They come in a variety of colors, which goes over well. I run a pair on one of my own bikes. The only times I get bit in the leg are when I'm walking the bike up and down my basement steps, or similar, and I'm not careful enough about my calf in relation to the pedal cranks. When I'm actually on the bike, my feet do not slip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sars cnc pedals from ebay very light great for smaller feet not too dangerous for little legs and good choice of colours.

turtles make me hot
    Platforms... Sore subject with me and my son right now.
    A couple of years ago, he saw those Tioga spider web pedals and begged to have them on his bike. Damn things were like 75 bucks. I put them on his 20" GF. On the first ride, one of the pedals came around and got him on the back of his calf. That was it.... Back to the plastic pedals.
    I just recently built him a 24" bike and we put the Tiogas on it. So far, so good.
    I agree with Jonathan... Go with the Wellgos.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I appreciate everyone's comments, but for kids I was really thinking of platforms without metal studs when I posted the question. I use metal studs, but I also get cuts on my shin a bit. I can deal with it, but would rather not have my son's legs cut up.

Perhaps a better way to phrase my question is: Does anyone know of platforms without metal studs that still have decent grip?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The islabike comes with a welgo style pedal which has moulded in soft style pins ,they seem to work although my daughter has slipped of the pedals a few times.

mtbr member
    Can't you remove the studs? Maybe replace them with some short allen socket cap screws that wouldn't be as sharp. I'm setting up my sons 20" bike for his bday in couple of weeks and am interested in replacements for the plastic pedals as well.

Inspector Gadget
    I found a pair of older deore dx pedals. Resonable traction, yet not sharp like platforms of today. The plastic pedals werent working for my son, he slipped on them like crazy. I've got him on real trails doing 10-12mile rides. I got him knee/elbow pads so pedal strikes really arent an issue anymore. Before the pads though he only banged his shin once and then he learned to not do that anymore NO complaints from him about the gear... he thinks it's cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedals for Kids?-614618_4496666182975_1919421025_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi View Post
    Can't you remove the studs? Maybe replace them with some short allen socket cap screws that wouldn't be as sharp. I'm setting up my sons 20" bike for his bday in couple of weeks and am interested in replacements for the plastic pedals as well.
    I think they would be slippery after removing the pins.

Here are some plastic pedals I am considering:

Amazon.com: Avenir ATB Pedals: Sports & Outdoors

Odyssey Black Twisted PC 9/16" Pedals: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I put a set of wellgo m-111 pedals on my daughters bike and for small feet they give plenty of grip but have a curved outer profile that make them less dangerous in a stack. They are also quite light (~240g).

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    I put a set of wellgo m-111 pedals on my daughters bike and for small feet they give plenty of grip but have a curved outer profile that make them less dangerous in a stack. They are also quite light (~240g).
    I use the same for both my kids.

mtbr member
    Welcome to 2017 thread. More options are out and I am debating between the M111 suggested or the NC 17 plastic pedals. I want to avoid metal pins too. Any thoughts or anything better that I missed?

Platform Pedals for Kids?-77995_00_d.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Welcome to 2017 thread. More options are out and I am debating between the M111 suggested or the NC 17 plastic pedals. I want to avoid metal pins too. Any thoughts or anything better that I missed?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77995_00_d.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	1137573
    I've had good luck with redline monster pedals. Light, durable, sealed bearings, low profile, nylon pins that won't cut up the legs and a variety of colors. Usually $20 - $25.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey, timely thread bump for me. I just bought my some for my son's bike. I got some specialized branded alloy flats as a take-off from my LBS. They don't have any pins - but do have some little bars and texture to presumably give them a little grip on his shoes. Haven't tried them yet, but they were $15.

I was thinking of getting a plastic bodied pedal and filing down the pins to like half their height, but found these instead.

mtbr member
    My kid had DMR V6 nylon pedals. They seemed to work okay for him, though they're pretty big and his feel are pretty small, so I'm not sure all of the spikes would engage his shoes, so it seemed like the fit wasn't the best. Plus, the plastic spikes started wearing when he'd bash them on rocks. Not unexpected, but didn't help traction.

I recently got him some Wellgo kc008s. They were pretty cheap on fleabay. Though the spikes are metal, they're fairly round. He's hit his shin before, which wasn't fun, but didn't get cut by them. I thought the smaller size would be more proportional, but I wonder if they're too small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    From my experience plastic pins just lead to more slipping off the pedals, frustration and shin bumps.
    The best kids pedals we have found are AEST pedals. They are super light, come in a multitude of fun colours, the pins are a good compromise of strength, grip and not to shin grating (son has been using them for years and never had a shin wound). You can get them from ebay as well as from various online stores. They have several models - the ones below are very well sized for kids.
    Name:  Aest_Pedals_Red_07.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  9.3 KB
    Pair with a pair of kids Five Ten shoes and slipping pedals is no longer an issue.

Sorry the picture is not working - here is a link
    AEST Flat Pedals Cr Spindle YRPD-07CR 220g
    You can source them for under $50 off ebay or from Toronto Cycles.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I use the same for both my kids.
    My guys also liked the Wellgo M111s for a 20" bike. Light, not too wide, have grip but not enough to shred the shins, and rounded outer profile that won't snag pant legs. Might want a larger pedal when they graduate to a larger bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I appreciate everyone's comments, but for kids I was really thinking of platforms without metal studs when I posted the question. I use metal studs, but I also get cuts on my shin a bit. I can deal with it, but would rather not have my son's legs cut up.

Perhaps a better way to phrase my question is: Does anyone know of platforms without metal studs that still have decent grip?
    Surely it depends what you plan riding? If you're riding single track then a few cuts are inevitable but the same is pretty much true for childhood anyway.

The injuries they are likely to get without good grip on pedals are far worse than a few scratches from pedal pins especially as kid sized proper flat pedal shoes are hard to come by .. Though of course you can always file them lower to limit the depth of the cuts it's a trade off between a big injury vs a few scratches.

Also if they don't feel they can rely on pedals to grip they will start trying to sit down on descents .. again leading to nastier injuries.

I'd think carefully before compromising pedal grip on technical riding because the consequences of trying to save a few cuts can be much worse when they do happen. As you're worried about good grip I'm assuming you're not riding on pavement where it doesn't really matter.

The first thing my 7yr old does when he meets his cycling buddies is compare new scars...(though few of them will be permanent at their age) followed by a war story (usually a bit exaggerated) on how he got them. He gets just as many playing soccer and rugby on concrete

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you're willing to splurge a bit, the Chromag Radar pedals are fantastic. They come with less aggressive pins you can use initially. No issues with slippage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Imo any platform with enough force will hurt. Screw/bolts break skin easily where as plastic is less damaging but they wear out quickly and that reduces grip. Grip reduction is not good either. At some point after all the use of Tegaderm, it was time for some knee pads. I ended up going with alpinestars paragon adult elbows, size medium which fit my 12yr old's skinny knees well. They are exactly the same as the adult knees, so they are long and cover the shin bone's pedal strike area well. Since getting pads the pedal screw/bolt type doesn't matter as he has confidence if he slips it won't hurt so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Raceface Chesters. My 5yo loves his. The pin heights are adjustable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Aren't shoes the important part? The thing about 5.10s isn't their grip (their grip isn't that impressive, compared to my trail running shoes), it's their low rebound rubber compound, which keeps the foot planted. A normal athletic shoe is designed to provide bounce, which is more useful in every other sport.

Members who have read this thread: 31