mtbr member

pedal bike for 3 year old

my girl has been on strider type bike since she was little over 2 years old. she has pretty much mastered the skills and we are thinking of getting her 14" bike for 3rd birthday. she has been eyeing next door girl's pedal bike for a while and keeps asking for pedals. i have done some research, most of the people saying to skip 12" and go straight for 14". now Islabikes Cmoc 14 gets good reviews and recommendations but its just too expensive. any other options?

mtbr member
    There's this one, but it's not cheap either:
    Spawn Cycle Furi | Spawn Cycles - Born to Ride

14" is kind of unusual isn't it? My 4 year old just moved up from a 12" to a 16" (which he can only reach the ground with his toes). If you go with 12" you have options from Scott, Trek, Giant and Specialized that are pretty affordable. Unfortunately, everything is going to be pretty heavy and/or expensive.

workin' it Administrator
    my son started on this bike: Specialized Bicycle Components and my daughter at 4 is still riding it. it is light and agile, seemingly easy to ride because even though we got her a 16" bike she still just wants to ride this one. The operative factor for us on this bike was that it is light. The aluminum frame really helps and the bike is probably 10 lbs less than their new steel framed 16" bikes. That's a lot of weight for kids that weigh under 40lbs.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My son who is on the taller side used a 12" Hotrock from his 3rd birthday to his 4th. He still rode it into his mid 4's at the in-laws house.

You don't need to go crazy fancy for a 3 y.o. kid's bike. I went with a Spawn Banshee for his fourth birthday when he was like jonesing for handbrakes and his skill turned into such where he was checking out easy singletrack.
    '11 Transition Bandit 29
    '12 Surly Ogre
    '13 Surly Big Dummy
    '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A lot depends on your child... how big is she (percentile for age)? How fast is she growing? My girls are both 5% for age (their mom is only 4'9"), so I went out of my way to find a LIGHT bike (I went with the spawn 14"). The lack of a coaster brake was my secondary concern... the ability to move the pedals without picking the bike up was something I wanted them to be able to do.

It was, indeed, pricy. I was "lucky" enough to be doing lots of overtime at work when I bought it, and I knew that it would last for at least 2 children. Definitely the right choice for us, but you may be different.

I would recommend trying to find one or two key features which are critical for you and your girls... (price, weight, coaster brake, standover height, etc). Then you can evaluate the many options you've already found... they're all good bikes, for the right situation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My son has a Commencal 14". He was coming off a 12" Hotwalk and was still too short for the 16". For the money it is the best deal for a kid's bike, and frankly one of the best looking for a kid's mountain bike; $$$ less than the Spawn and Islabike, hand brakes and freewheel, plus highly customizable. It is kind of heavy at 15lbs, but again for us that was not a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Raivyn View Post
    My son has a Commencal 14". He was coming off a 12" Hotwalk and was still too short for the 16". For the money it is the best deal for a kid's bike, and frankly one of the best looking for a kid's mountain bike; $$$ less than the Spawn and Islabike, hand brakes and freewheel, plus highly customizable. It is kind of heavy at 15lbs, but again for us that was not a deal breaker.
    This thread is pretty redundant to one I started 2 wks ago 12" Pedal Bike Options, so I've been keeping an eye on it... I think the Commencal 14" may be the silver bullet I've been looking for... thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    my son received a ByK 350 for his third birthday. Great bike but I dont think they are available in the US. It has 18" wheels but had a lower standover and seat height than just about every 12' and 16" bike we saw. Nice and light too. He rode it with no problems from day one (without training wheels).
    E-350 | Standard Bike | 4-6 Years