Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Parents - Roll call here.

Please introduce yourself so us parents can get to know each other.

Who are you and how long have you been riding?

How old are your kids? How much do they ride and what is your goal?

Share some pictures and stories.

fc

PRETENDURO
    I am Leopold Porkstacker. I have been riding bicycles since I was five years old. My boys are 6.5 and 7.75 years old. I try to get them out onto the singletrack every weekend, however during the summertime we were doing it two to three times per week.

Moving picture:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am Doug, I have been riding since I was 8. I ride in town enough to keep slim in spite of a very large appetite for french fries.
    I have a 9 and 5 year old, the 9 year old is good for a 100km day on flat (ish) gravel. The 5 year old is on a Burley Piccolo or in a cargo bike for any ride longer than 4km and on a run bike or BMX race bike for shorter rides.
    I take my kids on bikepacking trips and off-road tours.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1350577126
    I occasionally write up my trips on spot adventures as user coldbike, I have several stubs in there currently waiting for me to fill in the story and pictures as well as a long writeup of last year's tour. View A SPOT Adventure

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1350579541
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-j1rw4_hi7yqhkgcfsl5secrkg_pdw9ezwhs4-63divw-uttnmtza6vz-azoaeb-vudfweaepntdiruakap-cf7i.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-2012-08-02-19-00-47-1300485.jpg  

Last edited by coldbike; 10-18-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added link

Wēk SŰs
    I am Newton. I've been riding for 2 yrs, 1 month. I learned to ride as a kid, but never had a bike of my own, and never really rode beyond basics.

My son is 8yo and my daughter is 6yo. The family didn't get out much this year. My son would ride about once per week with me during the summer, and family rides about once per month. I haven't taken my kids out in a month, however.

We ride at Santa Teresa County Park, Alum Rock Park, Old Haul Road, and Alviso Baylands.

My son's favorite ride so far has been China Camp. It was the first time, for me as well, doing the full loop. My son's Strava, except I missed the singletrack climb and went up the steeper fireroad instead. The full descent was really nice, but I had to stop a few times to check the map, and of course a snack break. Fruition bars are their favorite on trail snack, along with mixed nuts and dried fruits like cranberries and raisins.

Pictures from 2011 of our ride at Alviso, and a 2012 shot of my son at the Gap Bench or Turtle Rock. My son has a new bike now, a 24". I didn't get pics of the kids doing the jumps, we were having too much fun to stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-242472_226651930696794_6119761_o.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-243443_226651677363486_8384476_o.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-469751_459867140708604_1276807550_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am Justin, parent biker.

Boys are 4&6, both are riding pedal bikes, but really really loved their striders.

I'm currently trying to get City of Austin (TX) to build a Bike Park so that my boys have a good place to learn and grow - they love some singletrack, but they also can be little dare-devils.

Please sign my petition if you have a minute!

I've got some pics somwehere around here...
    3yo:

first crash:

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm Wahday. Lifelong biker but got back into it and more serious 5 years ago. Both road and mtbr, but mtb is my passion. My kids are 12 (boy) and 7 (girl). The boy rides with a school multi-sports team on a road bike and is really enjoying it (he started this year). He does about 60 miles a week. He also has a mtb but gravitates more to the road bike right now. Am scouting out a bikepacking route this weekend and hoping to take him in the spring.

My daughter is a great rider but is in need of a new bike. She's got a lot of natural athletic ability so I am excited to get something that works for her and get her out on some flat trails. I have good and easy access from our house which makes it all so easy. I think she's going to tear it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey ya'll. I'm Scotti and have been mountain biking a little over a year.

My kids are 9, 6 and 4. Each are a joy to be with in their own way.

Our 9 year old can definitely put in the distance, climbing and technical. He's only been riding since June of this year and I can tell he shares the love of biking with me.

Our 6 year old girl is just starting out on the trails and we have a couple 1 mile loops we do together. She tires quickly and does not like the downhill. She's always talking up a storm and is usually pointing out stuff on the trail.

Our little 4 year old is also just starting out on the trails. I run/walk as he goes on the same 1 mile loops as his older sister. Our terrain here is very hilly and he does not yet have the strength to climb them so I help him up the hills. He loves going down and going as fast as he can. I can tell he's going to be my little daredevil.

WNC Native
    Hi I'm Nathan, a 33yld Brevard NC native.
    I've been riding off an on since 13 and got more serious into the sport at age 23. I'm now married and have 2 kids. I've shared my love for the sport with them and now they are hooked as well. Some of my favorite memories as a teenager were doing family rides with my parents and younger sister. So pumped that it's something I'm getting to pass on and do with my family.

Here is our oldest daughter, Megan. She is now 14 and has been trail riding since age 9. She competed in her first ever mtb race last year ( 3 person women's 6hr relay team), with my wife and mother. They got 2nd place in their category, which made it that much more awesome for her! I think that will be the first of many for her. This is her first year of high school and she just joined the local high school mtb club. They ride every Thur after school and will be attending the CYMBL (Carolina Youth Mountain Bike League) races. She's pretty proud to be the only girl in the club that's on a SS 29er.

And our youngest, Caden. She just turned 7 and has been trail riding since Feb this year. We wanted to start her out at a younger age, however some spinal issues that arose and kept us from doing that. Luckily the issues corrected themselves as she grew!!
    She's a little trooper and loves watching mtb movies/videos, especially when they are doing "tricks". She say's she will be a pro mountain biker when she grows up!!

My goal is to one day do a 4 person endurance race as a family. Whether we podium or not doesn't really matter to me, it will be awesome regardless.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 10-13-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Red October
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I am Justin, parent biker.

Boys are 4&6, both are riding pedal bikes, but really really loved their striders.

I'm currently trying to get City of Austin (TX) to build a Bike Park so that my boys have a good place to learn and grow - they love some singletrack, but they also can be little dare-devils.

Please sign my petition if you have a minute!

I've got some pics somwehere around here...
    3yo:

first crash:

I think you live in, or near my neighborhood.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me flickr

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi everyone! I'm Dave. I've been riding bikes since as long as I can remember. I got into mountain biking about 12 years ago. Took a bit of a break after getting married, having 2 kids, house mortgage, etc.

I have a 5 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. They were both promised new bikes earlier this year for their birthdays. I figured that their was no better time for me to get back into the sport, so I purchased a new bike as well. I've been out riding any chance I get, and so have my kids.

Both kids are at the point of being ready to have training wheels (yeah,yeah I know, but I'm old school) removed. Unfortunately they aren't ready to ride in the slightly colder fall weather. My goal is to have them out riding some easy trails and bike paths with me next spring. I want them to love biking as much as I do.

d77
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I;m Duncan. I just got back into biking this summer after not having a bike for probably close to 20 years. I'm out there any chance I get, which unfortunately is not as often as I'd like. My wife bought a new bike as well and we've been out together a few times without kids which was nice, just have to know that it's going to be at a pace a lot slower than when I'm out on my own.

We have three kids: a seven year old girl who loves to ride, 4 year old boy who can ride in a straight line no problem without training wheels but needs a little help in the corners and with stopping still, and lastly a two (almost three) year old girl who is probably the bravest of the bunch but realistically won't be pedalling herself until spring 2014 but she loves her pink trike. Rain has set in here in the Vancouver area so I don't know hw much more riding we'll be doing until spring.

My goal is really to get all five of us out on some nice trails with a few stops for snacks and ice cream

Belltown Brazer
    Bob Spooner here. I've been mtb riding since 1986. My wife joined me when we started dating in 1989. We traveled and raced and had a grand old time through the 90s. Then the kids started happening. Racing stopped and travelling slowed down. I've been lucky enough to keep riding...but Mom took some time off. Now that the littlest is pedalling on his own, we're getting into the woods as a family.

We live in Connecticut and are both engineers in the power industry by day. We have 3: an 11 y/o girl (named Ruthie Julianna - think we liked mtb?), an 8 y/o and a 5 y/o boy. The 8 y/o is the best of the bunch right now, but his little brother will be pushing him in no time.

I started building frames 4 years ago, and frames for the kids was one of the incentives to learn. I've built them - and other kids - a bunch of frames. I love to see what a kid can do on a bike that fits and is designed to handle actual trails. The kids will get better on every ride...it is simply amazing.

Riding with my buddies has slowed down this year, as the kids riding ramps up. I'll generally get a solo ride in early and then something with the family later in the day. I also get the kids out there for trail work -and remind them that trail work is part of being a mountain biker.

I love to see all the pics of the little rippers! Keep them coming! Cheers! B
    I am Belltown Bikes LLC. Steel bicycles hand made in East Hampton, CT

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I am Cary. I have been riding for about 35 years now, with brief breaks in the middle. When I was younger, I raced BMX, then got into rode riding, and then at 26 got into mountain biking. I'm pushing 40 now and have an 8 year old son who is an avid rider. He started at 18 months in a burley trailer, and progressed from there to his current 24" hardrock and 20" BMX bike. He also forces me to ride some BMX and at the skate park. Here are a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-img_0662.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-img_1079.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-p1020833.jpg  

Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cary, that looks alot like Lake Tahoe?...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My name is Brian. I started riding Freeride/DH mountain bikes in 2005. My son came along in 2007. My son Gavin is 5. He started balancing on a Specialized Hotwalk at 1.5yrs old. He was pedaling by 2.5yrs old. We devoloped a love for Whistler and I quickly found there were no good kids bikes on the market to tackle such a place. So I started LiL Shredder Bikes as a means to get Gavin the bike he needed to tackle downhill trails. The investment has been worth every penny and the time spent together chasing each other down the mountain and through the woods is priceless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-184.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-whistler-trip-2012-33-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo9 View Post
    My name is Brian. I started riding Freeride/DH mountain bikes in 2005. My son came along in 2007. My son Gavin is 5. He started balancing on a Specialized Hotwalk at 1.5yrs old. He was pedaling by 2.5yrs old. We devoloped a love for Whistler and I quickly found there were no good kids bikes on the market to tackle such a place. So I started LiL Shredder Bikes as a means to get Gavin the bike he needed to tackle downhill trails. The investment has been worth every penny and the time spent together chasing each other down the mountain and through the woods is priceless.
    Holy crap! Now thatís a serious no-BS bike for a kid!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Duplicate Post
    Last edited by Cary; 10-16-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyScotti View Post
    Cary, that looks alot like Lake Tahoe?...
    Yep. Rim trail to Flume to Spooner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Yep. Rim trail to Flume to Spooner.
    We did a bit of the Spooner trail this year, fun trail! Haven't done the Flume but it's on my list. Do you live nearby?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here's a pic of me and my two youngest, 9 (son) and 8 (daughter) out on a local trail. I have a 16 year old who doesn't ride much in the fall because football and school take up all of his time. My wife has been a couple of times and just rides my older sons bike. Still trying to decide if she likes it enough to get a bike of her own.

I've just gotten back into MTB after a 16 year or so break. Upgraded both kids to specialized hot rocks this year as well and got a sweet deal on my KHS XC-204 from a friend who was upgrading his ride. I'm super happy to be getting back into it, even if it's been a challenge getting back into shape for it.

Well, I thought I was going to post a pic, but I guess my post county isn't high enough yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi, names Rob, I just got back in mounting biking after a long (10 year) layoff. I've got three kids, 7, 4 and 16 months, the 7 year old is mad keen on riding and wants me to take him riding most evenings and at least once on the weekend. He's riding a 16inch BMX right now, we're planning on getting him a 24 inch for his birthday next year. The 4 year old isn't enthusiastic and still hasn't learnt to ride without training wheels, he's stubborn, but I think we'll sort the problem next summer.

mtbr member
    I rode a BMX bike all over Tempe/Phx when I was a kid. Never raced because my parents weren't really with it. I got back into biking late in high school when I bought a Cannondale road bike, a book about LeMond, and tried to find some races. In college I bought way too nice of a mountain bike on credit card, but rode the heck out of it all over Arizona. While starting a career and getting married I didn't ride much, but now I commute to work, road bike when the trails are muddy and mountain bike as much as possible here in Texas or wherever we go on vacation. My wife has gotten into mountain biking and does the occasional Tri with a road bike. I have a daughter who just turned 8 and a son who just turned 10. We ride around a lot for fun and exercise at the local trails, and occasionally go camping and do a mountain bike race. Here are a few pics of us at the last race we attended. 9 out of 10 race photos of me I have my tongue out like an idiot for some reason...

Last edited by Asmodeus2112; 11-14-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    Im Ross. 28 years old. Married. Just go wife into riding (just road for now on her hybrid). Have a 11 month old girl, just started walking, so balance bike coming soon! I starting riding road/mountain in 2000 regularly. Started racing road in 2002. Did national level tri's from 2004-2007. Back to road for fun. Getting back into MTN heavily. Cant wait to get the family out in a few years with me for some good trips around the country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My name is Rick. I am 47 now. Rode for years on a very early bmx bike and a sears 24 inch roadie. Stopped while I was in the AirForce. Started again with about 4 months left in. Riding on base was the best. Wish I would have done that the whole time I was in. My bad. I quit again for a number of years. Started a family and got a career going. Advance 12 or so years. Decided I needed to do something or I was going to become a lump of diabetic mess. (no I am not diabetic.) Kids were old enouph to do something and wanted to ride. So I bought a couple of my mountain bikes from a big unpopular store. I rode that thing for a couple of years. The guys at my LBS decided I needed something to ride. Sold me a Raleigh Grand Sport. Fast forward 2 years.
    My LBS decides that it's time I start doing spin class in the winter. The wife wants to go too. Bonus. We begin and she looks around and see's the bikes that are being used, Not being happy with using her Raleigh path bike she now wants a roadie. So talking to the guys We end up getting her a Raliegh Cadent 4.0. She really likes it. Now I should tell you all that we do have mountain bikes. I have an mid 80's Raleigh m 60. The wife has a Raleigh Venture 4.0. My daughter who is about to turn 16 has a Fuji Sunfire. My son who is 10 has a old Trek mountain lion that he has totally outgrown.
    After a few weeks the kids have decided that they are tired of being left at home and want to join us 2 nights a week for spin class. The search is on for bikes. Immedeatly we hand down daughters old Huffy road bike to the boy and the shop had a old Guerciotti that fit her so well that I had to get it for her. It was like it was made for her. If I want to ride all I got to do is say the word and she is ready to go. No waiting.
    Plans right now are for a metric century for the Daughter and I. The wife isn't even close to ready but she is kind of excited about spin class this year.The kids are ready to rock. Now for my Lazy butt.. . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Brain and have been riding for 21 years. My wife of 16 years never had a desire to ride 'til this last summer when on her suggestion we went to Woody's Mt Bikes in Helen,GA and did a 15 mile forest service road ride. Two days later she wanted to ride again. Now we are hitting some local singletrack in the Augusta, GA area and we picked up a third wheel trailer for my 5 yr old daughter. The only problem we have is we have 4 daughters (5,10,14,16) and only enough wheels for 5 f us to ride. Keeping a close eye on craiglist.

My riding was slowed way down but riding with the family is priceless.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast