Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm Jason. I started riding again a few years ago. I got a 2009 Trek 7.3 FX to commute to work on. It's about 11 miles each way. I plan on getting a mountain bike (Giant Talon) to start riding some mountain and singletrack.

We have 3 kids, 5yr, 3yr, 1yr. The fiver just got a bike given to him by a friend and loves it. He was riding a balance bike for a while so I really didn't need to "teach" him. He just got on and started riding. My wife also just got a bigboxbike so we ride around the neighborhood with the 3 and 1 in a trailer behind me.

Good times!

mtbr member
    Jared here, I got daughter #1 her first "real" mountain bike for her 6th birthday back in December. It's a GT Laguna 20". She was quite excited to see the car all loaded and ready for the first ride this past weekend. This hill isn't much, but for her, it took some encouraging. She finally made it and then had to do it over and over again. Parents - Roll call here.-grace-hill.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-car-rack.jpg  

Last edited by BXCc; 05-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi all. I'm Wendy, partner Kate and I have 2 girls, 8 and 10. I'm hoping to find some destination rides this year that will not be too frustrating for them but still fun for the grownups too. Can't wait to explore this families-riding-kids section and see how folk are doing getting everyone out. It's all about the snacks here....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Riding Again!

My name is David and I have been riding bicycles for 33 of my 36 years. Like a lot of folks here I took a few years to make babies (9, 7, 5, and 3 years of age) and change diapers. Before that I raced motocross/XC and always enjoyed cross training on the mountain bike. My oldest, Dan, began taking an interest in mountain biking recently. Since then I've dusted off my old Klein and we've been hitting River Legacy Trails in the Arlington/Fort Worth area. Dan's ridden some BMX and MX so he has taken to it pretty fast. Me on the other hand, the bike handling skills are still there but the legs are not. Things have come full circle. I am blessed to share one of the things I enjoy most, that is rolling on two wheels, with my boy.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Hi

I'm Eric, 28 years old, been riding for 13 years. I have an 8 month old son who loves getting out with me in the trailer on the local MUP's. Can't wait until he gets to ride his own wheels.

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yo, I'm Jim. More on Ridemonkey than here, but have been checking out this thread a bit!

me: 80's 'rad' wanna be BMX kid, got into MTB riding in the mid 90's. Started racing DH in 2004 and semi-retired in 2010.

My son started riding his push bike at age 2, and by 3 he was peddling away...even down some rocky trails!:

Just after turning 5, we started to hit the local BMX track to structure our riding a bit:

Now at the later part of 5 and on a lighter bike, he is ready to try racing a bit, hopefully tomorrow!
    ELEVATE CYCLES | FTW FACTORY RACING | ODI | NEMA | 661| AZONIC | SPY

banned
    Apr 2013

Hello from Denver

Hello, new here.....15 year old son, 10 year old son and now a new 3 month old Daughter. I Have not riden with my new Daughter yet, but plan to....

My 10 year old.....7 years ago Err...they usually wear helmets...this was just out in front of the house.

Parents - Roll call here.-image_00140.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-image_00141.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-image_00143.jpg

My 10 tear olds new bike....I was eventualy able to teach him to keep both hands on the bars....

Parents - Roll call here.-dscn3216.jpg

My 15 year old wants to start XC racing

His bike

Parents - Roll call here.-dscn3206.jpg

I like bikes
    I'm Glenn. My Son is 8 and my daughter is 6. We ski and snowboard all winter, and mountain bike
    through Summer. My wife and I have been avid Mtbrs for 20 years, and love sharing our passion with
    our kids. I am the local trail builder in the community, and trail stewardship is also something I want
    them to embrace. My wife is one of 150 women in a women-only MTB group. This has empowered my
    little girl, as she sees many "girls" who mountain bike, just like she does. Life on two wheels is good.

Parents - Roll call here.-family-ride.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi my name is mark and have been riding for as long as i can remember,my son zach is 3 and been riding since he got a isla rothan balance bike for his second birthday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-182290_4551248893671_561056812_n.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-644372_4966648478401_148308373_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey all,

I've been a member of the forums for some years, not too active lately. I grew up on bikes and ride a Stumpjumper around the Seattle area. Our boys are now 8 and 10 and pretty active. We ski all winter (Stevens) and camp in the summers. They're just getting adventurous on the mountain bikes, it's such a blast!

Ski season is over now I'm building up a 24" for the oldest. We live right by the trails so I'm hoping to "brainwash" them early and get them started with a life on two wheels. So far I think it's working.

Parents - Roll call here.-p9230097-001.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Parents - Roll call here.

Hey ppl, I'm Keith. Rode a lot when i was in my teens (no car lived in the country) found plenty of dirtbike trails to play on. Then i got a car and a g/f... 32 now just picked up riding again last year cause my now almost 7yr old son was too fast to walk with and plus I had gained a lot of weight and was outta shape. Then i got the bug. My son and I would ride (him on a transformers bike with training wheels) for miles, record for us was 11paved. I took his trainers off, we got him a used trek 20" mt60 and he went nuts. Record for him is just shy of 20 miles paved now, 6miles trails.

Now we both ride all we can, since he's with us for the summer)lives with his mom during school except weekends), he rides with me for my commute to day job (friends place so my son can hang out till wife gets off work then she takes him and his bike back home).

Currently waiting for dang rain to stop long enough for one local trailset to dry out as others are too hilly for him.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    long time reader of this forum first time posting thought this was the perfect place for me first post. I am a father of two courageous daughters one 14 that races xc, light dh, and ds she also will be coaching a kids summer camp this season(she started coaching snowboarding 2 years ago with me) and my 5 year old who thinks her sister is the coolest chick on the planet and wants do everything her sister can(she too mountainbikes and snowboards with dad now). The oldest and I started trail riding after she saved up and bought her first mountainbike 4 years ago. And once my youngest was old enough to hold on to a tag along bike she was on trails to give her a taste of dirt riding. We started the 5 year old on her 3rd birth day with a 12" bike I took the crank out of so she could stride then put them back in and dared her to put her feet on the pedals she was riding with in 6 months. My little one will be 6 in august and gets to attend her first mountainbike camp this summer she is stoked and so am I.

Thanks for all the wonderful info on this forum,
    Thom

Old dude
    Hi My name is Kevin, age 47, and I'm the father of 5 boys ages 24,22,20,19, and 10. My wife Liz and I have a "yours, mine, and ours" family. We all love the outdoors activities like hiking, camping, surfing, hanging at a beach, and biking. I have been riding dirt since I was a kid jumping Huffy's and Schwinn's on dirt ramps in the woods or clearing garbage cans in the driveway. I learned to work on my bikes at a young age and continue to do most all work on my ride today.

After a brief hiatus from mountain bilking, I recently rode some rails to trails with Liz and our youngest son Brandon. Liz got hooked so we bought her a nice Raleigh Venture the next day. I have just rebuilt my Manitou 3 and tuned my old Klein and Brandon is on a 20" GT BMX. He is looking to make the move to a 24" this fall. We have plans to do some single track and other stuff.

Pittsburgh has a ton of rail trail access. It's really a great biking city. Today Brandon and I rode 8 miles the Three Rivers Heritage trail on Pittsburgh North Shore. Here are a few pics from today's ride.

Parents - Roll call here.-20130714_183514.jpgParents - Roll call here.-20130714_181238.jpgParents - Roll call here.-20130714_181218.jpgParents - Roll call here.-20130714_181202.jpg

Thanks for the look!
    Keep on rollin', just a mile to go... Keep on rollin' my old buddy, you're movin' much too slow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Aaron here....been more of a roadie lately, but my youngest is starting to really like riding singletrack so we've been spending more time in the woods. He's turning out to be a solid little rider who's only fear is big downhills. He's currently on a cheap Schwinn BMX with the thought of upgrading him to Spawn Cycles soon to be released 20" full rigid this fall. He's showing enough interest now that I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

Pics chronicle his start from training wheels to now....basically age 2.5 to 6. It was fun digging these up. The last picture was from Monday. Came home from work to find him trying to build a ramp. Some scrap lumber and a few screws later and this is what we got. Had to add the extra 2x4 for more support....I didn't want to break it when I use it!

Parents - Roll call here.-trainers_zps445f86ab.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-firstdoubletrack_zpscaf85075.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-179722_4110365803671_1368953443_n_zpsb5b28372.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-singletrack_zps4d27d036.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-ramp_zps529571e8.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have just been sucked into this forum when I came across the custom Specialized Hotrock builds. My 2 year old has a Specialized Hotrock 12 and I would love to build up a 16 inch bike for when he is big enough. He is quite small (under 35 inches I think) and will be three in November. He started with a balance bike at 19 months and was riding a pedal bike at 22 months with no training wheels.

I also have a 7 year old loves all sorts of bikes - he loves to mountain bike/dirt jump/bmx.

I sometimes get the time to go out on a bike myself...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

My son has been going to the trails with me recently. He has been asking for a mountain bike since he was using his bmx bike. Found a barely used Novara 24 inch bike for a really good price. Took him him out for his maiden voyage on his new bike and he did great. Was able to climb hills he couldn't before. He is having a hard time with the grip shifters do I ordered him some shimano trigger shifters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-uploadfromtaptalk1377497817965.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just joined recently as I just got my first mountain bike due to my son.

I have two boys -- 12 and 10. My oldest loves his new mountain bike and my youngest is new to riding a bike unassisted.

My oldest just got his first mountain bike at the end of July. It was something that he has wanted for a while, but we were not sure about the 24" wheels since he was very wobbly on his 20" BMX bike.

Well, we were very wrong. He was a natural on the 24" bike. He is stable and is now doing jumps off obstacles at our local park. He wants to start doing trails and other rides that involve jumps. He is always wanting to go out and ride.

My 10 year old has been scared to ride without training wheels. For the past three years or so, we have been urging him to learn, but he always gave up in frustration. Well, this year, on my older son's birthday (when he got his new bike), my 10 year decided it was his time and has been riding ever since without any training wheels. He is a shorter fellow and has been riding a 16" BMX bike. However, he so wants a mountain bike like his brother.

We have looked around but cannot find one that fits him perfect. His older brothers 24" Trek fits him pretty good and he can ride it pretty good (for only being 1 month off training wheels). At this point of the the year, we have decided to revisit a new bike in the Spring. At that point, he may be a little taller and able to fit a 24" bike better. I'm just not sure how much he likes riding bikes or how much he likes being like his older brother. Still trying to weight in on that option.

Glad to be part of the thread and look forward to learning a lot about a lot of different aspects of MTBing.
    2013 Trek Marlin (Black)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Parents - Roll call here.-ian-biking1.jpgParents - Roll call here.-ian-biking2.jpgHI All!

Justin. Ft Lauderdale, FL. Been riding trails for the last 10 years. 2.5 year old son named Ian. Been riding one year. He rides daily on his balance bike. Around the neighborhood. Bombing down our neighbors stairs and the small inclines. (not many in South Florida) About to get him off his balance bike and one to a smal 10,12 inch pedal bike. Looking forward in showing him the way of trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey - just joined to share some of our new adventures - I am the Dad who has ridden mtb for over 30 years, and my son loves getting out on his bikes with me.

Currently he is riding a 12" Hotrock - in the garage waiting to be ridden more is a Redline Pitboss 16" bike - even though he can ride it he still prefers the smaller bike for now.

The next bike in our future is our latest project that we hope to share here. We are starting with a red 2007 Hotrock 20" 6 speed boys bike that I just bought on Craigslist. This bike is trashed, which is perfect, since I plan on keeping the frame, stem, seatpost clamp, headset & brakes. Everything else will probably go in the bin. This new project bike will be worked on over the next 18 months - I want to have it ready for his 6th birthday. The best part about the bike is the frame is in great shape and it is his favorite color. Now it is on to the upgrades and the fun of building this up together...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Loren here. 2 girls. 1 1990 Trek Antelope. 1 2014 Stumpjumper on the way. 1 Cycletote trailer. 1 spotted mutt.

Happy to answer question about any of these things!

Parents - Roll call here.-2013-01-27-18.35.34.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi All. I'm a parent of 3 kids (ages 8, 5, 2) living in the pacific northwest, and I've been riding in the dirt since roughly age 3. My oldest kid started riding on a 12" HotRock with the pedals removed, and the younger two started on a (now well-loved) Strider. Our kid bikes are currently: Islabike Beinn 20 small, Hotrock 16 (soon to become a 16" something with a freewheel + brakes), and the Strider.

We live within easy kid-riding distance from miles of kid-and-adult-friendly singletrack and have a mini bike park in our yard (pump track + skinny + ...).

I've learned a lot from this forum about biking with kids and where/how to get the right gear, I absolutely love riding with my kids, and I'm looking forward to becoming part of the conversation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello folks!

My name is Markus - I am from Austria, so please excuse my bad english. My son Julian is 6 years old and a great fan of cycling. At the moment he rides a tuned old isla cnoc 16 (~6,5kg, incl. backpedal brake, with V-Brake it would be sub6). We do trips with maximum 10miles, but at this distance we both enjoy it.

I registered because I would like to have some more interchange of ideas - usually I write on the german forum: mtb-news - but there are just about 10 to 15 serious active members interested in kid bike tuning.

2014 he will get his hot new ride - I will open a new thread if the last parts have arrived (still waiting for the rims). But to give you a bit: it will be pretty light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
    Hello folks!

My name is Markus - I am from Austria, so yh tcj7wwde6d78wd f82giwdd7iplease excuse my bad english. My son Julian is 6 years old and a great ug2eh2g6uyrebn67t4bwn of cycling. At the moment he rides a tuned old isla cnoc 16 (~6,5kg, incl. backpedal brake, with V-Brake it would be sub6). We do trips with maximum 10miles, but at this distance we both enjoy it.
    Yug3d1b673vfsw672jvs2b
    I registered because I wodoeehuld like to have some more interchange of ideas - usually I write on the german forum: mtb-news - but there are just about 10 to 15 serious active members interested in kid bike tuning.

2014 he will get his hot new ride - I will open a new thread if the last parts have arrived (still waiting for the rims). But to give you a bit: it will be pretty light.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My dealer got the rims allready and will send it after a few tests... it is the very first time this rims are delivered to end costumers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Please introduce yourself so us parents can get to know each other.

Who are you and how long have you been riding?

How old are your kids? How much do they ride and what is your goal?

Share some pictures and stories.

fc
    Hello! Joined today for this thread.

I'm 32 and I've been riding for as long as I can recall. I Stopped riding for a while when I discovered motocross, girls and cars (in that order). I got back into riding at about 26 and started straight into downhill. Since then we've had our son (who turns 4 in January) and we have a 6th month old daughter.

We started him in a trailer on a no-so-regular basis when he was one. Then we bought him his run bike (a Giant Pre) when he turned two and he's been riding that like crazy. His first pedal bike showed up in the mail today (Spawn Banshee) and he will get that for his birthday in January.

We've been riding lots of single track and I'm super excited for him to have pedals and brakes so that he can continue to progress. He's mostly fearless now and I look forward to him kicking my ass and trips to Whistler.

Here's a not so short video of him. I tried my best to hit the 3 minute mark, but as a gushing parent, that's really hard!

Bens Ride - YouTube

Look forward to cruising the parents forum more.
    Spencer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast