Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great thread. As a serial cyclist & new parent (to an 11 month old boy) this is a thread I'll be coming back to.

Child bike seat of choice: Bobike Maxi Tour+ rear, which will get put to use following the first birthday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Hi, my name is Clemens. I am 46 years old and have two boys of 6 and 9. I started riding somewhere in 1988 and my oldest boy started when he was 4 on a 'regular' kids bike. At 6 he got his first mountainbike, a Specialized Hot Rock 20. He ha recently upgraded to a Kona Kula 24 and the Hot Rock now serves the youngest brother (who started on a Hot Rock 16 by the way).

We have two trails nearby, Geestmerambacht (8 km singletrack) and Schoorl (15 km, mostly singletrack). Sometimes we go riding elsewhere and my oldest boy has already been to the downhill park Winterberg in Germany which we enjoyed tremendously!

Link to video at Geestmerambacht track:

Geestmerambacht singletrack with my two sons

Kind regards,

Clemens
    Last edited by Cinq; 11-06-2012 at 03:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Please introduce yourself so us parents can get to know each other.

Who are you and how long have you been riding?

How old are your kids? How much do they ride and what is your goal?

Share some pictures and stories.

fc
    Troy here. I've been riding bikes my whole life and mountain biking for 20 years. I have two boys, ages 3 and 5, and bike riding is a central part of our lives. Both of them graduated from a strider bike to a 12 inch bike before they turned 3. We ride trails, BMX tracks and skate parks. The little one just recently mastered the BMX track. I can't wait to do longer and longer rides with my kids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-61123_432945893430926_553356905_n.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-536469_432945823430933_1866800244_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm Jeff, 34, we live in Orange County California and I have been riding since I was 12. I have three kids who love to ride.
    Jake is 12 and is really into freeride and downhill, he has also taken an interest in photography so any of these pictures he is not in, he took!

Ryan is my 8 year old daughter, she loves XC racing and is good at it.

Conner is my youngest son and has gotten just his first mountain bike this week, but he has done some local races on his 12" BMX.

And this is me (taken by Jake)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey - I've been riding on the dirt since the mid-80's. My boy Bo turned 5 this month, and has been riding for nearly his entire life. We started him on a Strider, then quickly graduated to a Like-a-Bike Jumper (can you say full suspension run bike!). From there, he went on to a 12" Hotrock, then a Redline Pitboss, now a 20" Hotrock.

We do a lot of riding up around the UCSC campus in Santa Cruz. Nice network of beginner trails. Bo has done a bit of BMX racing, but so far seems more enthusiastic about mountain biking than BMX at this point. He also tends to do around 1-2 days a week in the skate park or on the pump track.

Here is a video I made of our ride last month.

Bo on UCSC trails Oct '12 - YouTube

Jamie

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great pictures Jeff (and the ones taken by Jake)!

Surfpoodi, your little guy is fun to watch!

Keep up the good work ya'll!

mtbr member
    Scott in San Jose - I've been mtbing since 1989, and I'm a cycling addict ("Hi Scott"). My kids have each all been mtb riding with me since they each were about 1.5. I've started each of them first in a front-mount bike seat (which our 3yo uses now), then trail-a-bike (my 5yo is in this now), and my oldest has been on his own 20" mountain bike since he was 7. They also have each ridden a Stryder when younger (ballance bikes are awesome), and my two boys also have 16" BMX bikes which we take to the local dirt jump park (Calabazas), as well as to the Truckee Pump Track occasionally. My oldest did a stint of racing BMX when he was 5 and 6, but then kind of lost interest. I feel so lucky that all of my kids all enjoy riding - something I plan to fuel as much as possible. For those in the Bay Area, you may have seen us (along with my wife) at the LG Turkey Day ride - we plan to go again this year, but we usually start late. Or at one of the local cyclocross events (Surf City or CCCX) that host a the kids "races". I just bought a Scott Spark JR 20 that in the process of tricking out for my 8yo for Christmas...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-kids_mtb2.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-riley_mtb_ucsc2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just introducing myself over here... I've recently gotten a new Big Dummy as a family bike for my two daughters and me. Two girls: 1.5 and 3.5 right now; a 4'9" mom who doesn't bike too much, and me... Pilot of the Dummy. Here's a picture of the girls on a recent grocery run...

The two girls LOVE riding in the new bike. They used to enjoy the trailer, but right now they are asking to ride the bike nearly every day. Since we're in NW Chicago Suburbia and the unseasonably warm weather is about to end, we'll have to wait and see how they like riding bundled up in the cold.... But it definitely seems like we are a new biking family.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dennis, Asheville NC. Just getting back into XC, it's time to upgrade my oldest's bike from her 16" Trek Float, she wants a bouncy fork and spiky things for the chain (gears, I believe). 3 daughters, all love riding but we don't get out enough.

Birdman aka JMJ
    John, 45, Hillsborough NC (near Durham/Raleigh).

I have 2 daughters (currently 5 and 3), and a newborn son (November 2012).

Girls Rides:
    2008 Specialized Hotrock 16
    2007 Specialized Hotrock 12

My hauling rigs:
    2002 Santa Cruz Superlight with a LOCT BodySpace saddle
    2002 Specialized Allez cromoly road bike with a 2000 Chariot trailer

I am currently trying to get back into MTBing, having started seriously in 1994. I ride infrequently during lunchtime, SSing on about 10 miles of singletrack at a nearby park.

My wife and I used to ride a lot before the kids. Hoping to get everyone excited about riding again.

JMJ
    Last edited by Birdman; 01-04-2013 at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Love this thread. I'm Ben, in Brisbane, Australia. Been riding since about 1996, first mostly in Scotland, then over here. Just getting back into MTB'ing after doing a lot of road riding. Got two boys, aged 6 (nearly 7) and 5. The oldest, James, is big enough to get into MTB now, he's just learning how to ride trails. He's on a 20" Giant XTC and I'm trying to persuade him to ditch the kickstand. His brother Sam is on an 18" Byk, an Aussie kids' brand, well worth checking out. Both of them are terrors at racing up and down our dead end street.

My singlespeed's getting fixed up now and when it's done James and I are hitting the dirt. In the meantime getting loads of inspiration here.

And btw this is my first post on Mtbr since 2000 when I added a review of my new (then) GT Zaskar LE. Can't remember my handle back then... but happy days

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Since Jake and Ryan's pictures disappeared I thought I would share some new ones.

This is me (Jeff)

This is Jake

This is my Daughter Ryan

Pirate!!!
    I'm Adian, I've been avidly riding NorCal since 1993. My Boys are 9, 11, 18. The youngest is the most in to mountain biking, and my 11 year old struggles to maintain interest. The oldest boy doesn't ride much. We do a few trips each year, races, sea otter, ect. That usually helps to spark their interests. Parents - Roll call here.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357917702.815137.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357917804.691075.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357917861.927252.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357917893.856598.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357917962.113796.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357917990.194440.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357918014.480785.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am Tjaard. I have 2 and 5 year old girls. I have been mountainbiking for about 9 years now.

When my oldest was a baby we bought a Tout-Terrain Singletrailer, so I could still ride singletrack (my wife and I worked alternate times).

The girls love riding their own bikes(not on singletrack yet) and riding the trailers, they want to go bikepacking again next summer!

-

Parents - Roll call here.-girls-group.jpg

-

Parents - Roll call here.-familybikepack.jpg

rubber side down
    I'm a proud dad of 3 kids. My middle son is the one who is into biking (and skating). Got him a sweet Trek for Christmas and his skills on a bike impress me! I've been riding mtb for 25 or so years. It's an amazing feeling now to be out on the trail with my boy. He is now 11 and we ride at least once a week. Fun to 'teach' him what I know and what took me years to learn on my own. I have no set "goals" for him, just want him to enjoy it as much as I did and still do. Looking forward to taking him to Colorado/Moab once I feel he is ready.

Picture of my boy ragin'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-colt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am a proud dad of two beautiful girls (a 3 year old and 5 year old girls). My garage is filled with a Chariot trailer, a Burley Piccolo trail-a-bike, a balance bike, a scooter, a tricycle, and two kids bikes. That's just for the kids-- you don't want to know how much stuff there is for me and my wife.

Previously we went on a weeklong, supported, bike tour in the Netherlands when my older daughter was 18 months old. That was when she was happy to sit in the trailer and doze off... not so much anymore.

Anyone have suggestions for good places for bike touring with kids?

Havok

Good job!

My name is Jordan. I have two Sons Talon (4) and Ronan (2). Talon started on a strider at 2 and is racing BMX now. Ronan is just now getting the hang of the strider. I take the boys to the BMX track sometimes twice a week. I'll also bring Talon out to some single track every now and then. I got Talon a Redline Micro and a Scott Jr Voltage. Ronan got his brothers old Specialized 12" but hasn't ridden it yet.

Always trying to get the wife out on a bike but I rarely succeed. Parents - Roll call here.-imag0374.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imag0438.jpgParents - Roll call here.-imag0004.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm Charles and I'm 28, I've been riding since I was about 4 or 5. Once I learned to drive though, riding took a back seat and I haven't ridden a bike in probably about 7 years. I just joined the forum yesterday as I plan on getting back into the sport due to the fact that my wife and I just recently had a child together and we were looking for family friendly activities. My son is 10 months old and I can't wait until I can get him on a bike. For now he'll be pulled behind

Havok
    Quote Originally Posted by N3M0 View Post
    My son is 10 months old and I can't wait until I can get him on a bike. For now he'll be pulled behind
    Hey Charles,
    Sounds exciting, Keep an eye out for a trailer and then a Strider. Usually you can get the kids on a Strider at about 18 months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post
    Hey Charles,
    Sounds exciting, Keep an eye out for a trailer and then a Strider. Usually you can get the kids on a Strider at about 18 months.
    Thanks for the tip! He's a pretty strong little dude, already walking and he can get on and off of a rocking horse already with no problems. Maybe I'll pick up both at the same time, he may be ready for the Strider by mid summer for at least short trips.

Havok
    I used Velcro straps and hung the Strider from the back of the trailer kind of like a trunk rack so that if he got tired he could hop in the trailer or hop out to ride again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post
    I used Velcro straps and hung the Strider from the back of the trailer kind of like a trunk rack so that if he got tired he could hop in the trailer or hop out to ride again.
    Another excellent idea thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm a dad of two boys - they're going to be 4 and 2 this summer. Presently, I have a Hamax Kiss seat on the back of my 26" Ross Hybrid, and I also have a Weeride for the front.

I haven't tried biking with both kids at the same time, but I'm looking for recommendations on a wheelset that can help us get around New York City -- between the kids and myself, I'd say we weigh around 320 pounds.

Being that New York is the capital of bike theft, I don't want to buy super expensive wheels that attract attention, just ones that will do the job commuting..

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-ljova_bike_with_child_seat.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Parents - Roll call here.

Hu everyone. My name is Jamal. I gave a 10month old. I don't think I can hit the trails with her but if anyone has any ideas if love to here them! I guess for now I'll be getting a Burley and hitting some gravel roads and pavement.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Conners first real ride!

I've shared pictures of my two oldest kids Jake (12) and Ryan my daughter (9) but not a lot about my youngest Conner (8). Conner has been going with us to the local dirt jumps for about a year and finally had the skills to get on the trail so here is a short vid from his first trail ride.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast