Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm Jason. I started riding again a few years ago. I got a 2009 Trek 7.3 FX to commute to work on. It's about 11 miles each way. I plan on getting a mountain bike (Giant Talon) to start riding some mountain and singletrack.

We have 3 kids, 5yr, 3yr, 1yr. The fiver just got a bike given to him by a friend and loves it. He was riding a balance bike for a while so I really didn't need to "teach" him. He just got on and started riding. My wife also just got a bigboxbike so we ride around the neighborhood with the 3 and 1 in a trailer behind me.

Good times!

mtbr member
    Jared here, I got daughter #1 her first "real" mountain bike for her 6th birthday back in December. It's a GT Laguna 20". She was quite excited to see the car all loaded and ready for the first ride this past weekend. This hill isn't much, but for her, it took some encouraging. She finally made it and then had to do it over and over again. Parents - Roll call here.-grace-hill.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-car-rack.jpg  

Last edited by BXCc; 05-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi all. I'm Wendy, partner Kate and I have 2 girls, 8 and 10. I'm hoping to find some destination rides this year that will not be too frustrating for them but still fun for the grownups too. Can't wait to explore this families-riding-kids section and see how folk are doing getting everyone out. It's all about the snacks here....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Riding Again!

My name is David and I have been riding bicycles for 33 of my 36 years. Like a lot of folks here I took a few years to make babies (9, 7, 5, and 3 years of age) and change diapers. Before that I raced motocross/XC and always enjoyed cross training on the mountain bike. My oldest, Dan, began taking an interest in mountain biking recently. Since then I've dusted off my old Klein and we've been hitting River Legacy Trails in the Arlington/Fort Worth area. Dan's ridden some BMX and MX so he has taken to it pretty fast. Me on the other hand, the bike handling skills are still there but the legs are not. Things have come full circle. I am blessed to share one of the things I enjoy most, that is rolling on two wheels, with my boy.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Hi

I'm Eric, 28 years old, been riding for 13 years. I have an 8 month old son who loves getting out with me in the trailer on the local MUP's. Can't wait until he gets to ride his own wheels.

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yo, I'm Jim. More on Ridemonkey than here, but have been checking out this thread a bit!

me: 80's 'rad' wanna be BMX kid, got into MTB riding in the mid 90's. Started racing DH in 2004 and semi-retired in 2010.

My son started riding his push bike at age 2, and by 3 he was peddling away...even down some rocky trails!:

Just after turning 5, we started to hit the local BMX track to structure our riding a bit:

Now at the later part of 5 and on a lighter bike, he is ready to try racing a bit, hopefully tomorrow!
    ELEVATE CYCLES | FTW FACTORY RACING | ODI | NEMA | 661| AZONIC | SPY

banned
    Apr 2013

Hello from Denver

Hello, new here.....15 year old son, 10 year old son and now a new 3 month old Daughter. I Have not riden with my new Daughter yet, but plan to....

My 10 year old.....7 years ago Err...they usually wear helmets...this was just out in front of the house.

Parents - Roll call here.-image_00140.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-image_00141.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-image_00143.jpg

My 10 tear olds new bike....I was eventualy able to teach him to keep both hands on the bars....

Parents - Roll call here.-dscn3216.jpg

My 15 year old wants to start XC racing

His bike

Parents - Roll call here.-dscn3206.jpg

I like bikes
    I'm Glenn. My Son is 8 and my daughter is 6. We ski and snowboard all winter, and mountain bike
    through Summer. My wife and I have been avid Mtbrs for 20 years, and love sharing our passion with
    our kids. I am the local trail builder in the community, and trail stewardship is also something I want
    them to embrace. My wife is one of 150 women in a women-only MTB group. This has empowered my
    little girl, as she sees many "girls" who mountain bike, just like she does. Life on two wheels is good.

Parents - Roll call here.-family-ride.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi my name is mark and have been riding for as long as i can remember,my son zach is 3 and been riding since he got a isla rothan balance bike for his second birthday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-182290_4551248893671_561056812_n.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-644372_4966648478401_148308373_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey all,

I've been a member of the forums for some years, not too active lately. I grew up on bikes and ride a Stumpjumper around the Seattle area. Our boys are now 8 and 10 and pretty active. We ski all winter (Stevens) and camp in the summers. They're just getting adventurous on the mountain bikes, it's such a blast!

Ski season is over now I'm building up a 24" for the oldest. We live right by the trails so I'm hoping to "brainwash" them early and get them started with a life on two wheels. So far I think it's working.

Parents - Roll call here.-p9230097-001.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Parents - Roll call here.

Hey ppl, I'm Keith. Rode a lot when i was in my teens (no car lived in the country) found plenty of dirtbike trails to play on. Then i got a car and a g/f... 32 now just picked up riding again last year cause my now almost 7yr old son was too fast to walk with and plus I had gained a lot of weight and was outta shape. Then i got the bug. My son and I would ride (him on a transformers bike with training wheels) for miles, record for us was 11paved. I took his trainers off, we got him a used trek 20" mt60 and he went nuts. Record for him is just shy of 20 miles paved now, 6miles trails.

Now we both ride all we can, since he's with us for the summer)lives with his mom during school except weekends), he rides with me for my commute to day job (friends place so my son can hang out till wife gets off work then she takes him and his bike back home).

Currently waiting for dang rain to stop long enough for one local trailset to dry out as others are too hilly for him.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    long time reader of this forum first time posting thought this was the perfect place for me first post. I am a father of two courageous daughters one 14 that races xc, light dh, and ds she also will be coaching a kids summer camp this season(she started coaching snowboarding 2 years ago with me) and my 5 year old who thinks her sister is the coolest chick on the planet and wants do everything her sister can(she too mountainbikes and snowboards with dad now). The oldest and I started trail riding after she saved up and bought her first mountainbike 4 years ago. And once my youngest was old enough to hold on to a tag along bike she was on trails to give her a taste of dirt riding. We started the 5 year old on her 3rd birth day with a 12" bike I took the crank out of so she could stride then put them back in and dared her to put her feet on the pedals she was riding with in 6 months. My little one will be 6 in august and gets to attend her first mountainbike camp this summer she is stoked and so am I.

Thanks for all the wonderful info on this forum,
    Thom

Old dude
    Hi My name is Kevin, age 47, and I'm the father of 5 boys ages 24,22,20,19, and 10. My wife Liz and I have a "yours, mine, and ours" family. We all love the outdoors activities like hiking, camping, surfing, hanging at a beach, and biking. I have been riding dirt since I was a kid jumping Huffy's and Schwinn's on dirt ramps in the woods or clearing garbage cans in the driveway. I learned to work on my bikes at a young age and continue to do most all work on my ride today.

After a brief hiatus from mountain bilking, I recently rode some rails to trails with Liz and our youngest son Brandon. Liz got hooked so we bought her a nice Raleigh Venture the next day. I have just rebuilt my Manitou 3 and tuned my old Klein and Brandon is on a 20" GT BMX. He is looking to make the move to a 24" this fall. We have plans to do some single track and other stuff.

Pittsburgh has a ton of rail trail access. It's really a great biking city. Today Brandon and I rode 8 miles the Three Rivers Heritage trail on Pittsburgh North Shore. Here are a few pics from today's ride.

Parents - Roll call here.-20130714_183514.jpgParents - Roll call here.-20130714_181238.jpgParents - Roll call here.-20130714_181218.jpgParents - Roll call here.-20130714_181202.jpg

Thanks for the look!
    Keep on rollin', just a mile to go... Keep on rollin' my old buddy, you're movin' much too slow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Aaron here....been more of a roadie lately, but my youngest is starting to really like riding singletrack so we've been spending more time in the woods. He's turning out to be a solid little rider who's only fear is big downhills. He's currently on a cheap Schwinn BMX with the thought of upgrading him to Spawn Cycles soon to be released 20" full rigid this fall. He's showing enough interest now that I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

Pics chronicle his start from training wheels to now....basically age 2.5 to 6. It was fun digging these up. The last picture was from Monday. Came home from work to find him trying to build a ramp. Some scrap lumber and a few screws later and this is what we got. Had to add the extra 2x4 for more support....I didn't want to break it when I use it!

Parents - Roll call here.-trainers_zps445f86ab.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-firstdoubletrack_zpscaf85075.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-179722_4110365803671_1368953443_n_zpsb5b28372.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-singletrack_zps4d27d036.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-ramp_zps529571e8.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have just been sucked into this forum when I came across the custom Specialized Hotrock builds. My 2 year old has a Specialized Hotrock 12 and I would love to build up a 16 inch bike for when he is big enough. He is quite small (under 35 inches I think) and will be three in November. He started with a balance bike at 19 months and was riding a pedal bike at 22 months with no training wheels.

I also have a 7 year old loves all sorts of bikes - he loves to mountain bike/dirt jump/bmx.

I sometimes get the time to go out on a bike myself...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

My son has been going to the trails with me recently. He has been asking for a mountain bike since he was using his bmx bike. Found a barely used Novara 24 inch bike for a really good price. Took him him out for his maiden voyage on his new bike and he did great. Was able to climb hills he couldn't before. He is having a hard time with the grip shifters do I ordered him some shimano trigger shifters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-uploadfromtaptalk1377497817965.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just joined recently as I just got my first mountain bike due to my son.

I have two boys -- 12 and 10. My oldest loves his new mountain bike and my youngest is new to riding a bike unassisted.

My oldest just got his first mountain bike at the end of July. It was something that he has wanted for a while, but we were not sure about the 24" wheels since he was very wobbly on his 20" BMX bike.

Well, we were very wrong. He was a natural on the 24" bike. He is stable and is now doing jumps off obstacles at our local park. He wants to start doing trails and other rides that involve jumps. He is always wanting to go out and ride.

My 10 year old has been scared to ride without training wheels. For the past three years or so, we have been urging him to learn, but he always gave up in frustration. Well, this year, on my older son's birthday (when he got his new bike), my 10 year decided it was his time and has been riding ever since without any training wheels. He is a shorter fellow and has been riding a 16" BMX bike. However, he so wants a mountain bike like his brother.

We have looked around but cannot find one that fits him perfect. His older brothers 24" Trek fits him pretty good and he can ride it pretty good (for only being 1 month off training wheels). At this point of the the year, we have decided to revisit a new bike in the Spring. At that point, he may be a little taller and able to fit a 24" bike better. I'm just not sure how much he likes riding bikes or how much he likes being like his older brother. Still trying to weight in on that option.

Glad to be part of the thread and look forward to learning a lot about a lot of different aspects of MTBing.
    2013 Trek Marlin (Black)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Parents - Roll call here.-ian-biking1.jpgParents - Roll call here.-ian-biking2.jpgHI All!

Justin. Ft Lauderdale, FL. Been riding trails for the last 10 years. 2.5 year old son named Ian. Been riding one year. He rides daily on his balance bike. Around the neighborhood. Bombing down our neighbors stairs and the small inclines. (not many in South Florida) About to get him off his balance bike and one to a smal 10,12 inch pedal bike. Looking forward in showing him the way of trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey - just joined to share some of our new adventures - I am the Dad who has ridden mtb for over 30 years, and my son loves getting out on his bikes with me.

Currently he is riding a 12" Hotrock - in the garage waiting to be ridden more is a Redline Pitboss 16" bike - even though he can ride it he still prefers the smaller bike for now.

The next bike in our future is our latest project that we hope to share here. We are starting with a red 2007 Hotrock 20" 6 speed boys bike that I just bought on Craigslist. This bike is trashed, which is perfect, since I plan on keeping the frame, stem, seatpost clamp, headset & brakes. Everything else will probably go in the bin. This new project bike will be worked on over the next 18 months - I want to have it ready for his 6th birthday. The best part about the bike is the frame is in great shape and it is his favorite color. Now it is on to the upgrades and the fun of building this up together...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Loren here. 2 girls. 1 1990 Trek Antelope. 1 2014 Stumpjumper on the way. 1 Cycletote trailer. 1 spotted mutt.

Happy to answer question about any of these things!

Parents - Roll call here.-2013-01-27-18.35.34.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi All. I'm a parent of 3 kids (ages 8, 5, 2) living in the pacific northwest, and I've been riding in the dirt since roughly age 3. My oldest kid started riding on a 12" HotRock with the pedals removed, and the younger two started on a (now well-loved) Strider. Our kid bikes are currently: Islabike Beinn 20 small, Hotrock 16 (soon to become a 16" something with a freewheel + brakes), and the Strider.

We live within easy kid-riding distance from miles of kid-and-adult-friendly singletrack and have a mini bike park in our yard (pump track + skinny + ...).

I've learned a lot from this forum about biking with kids and where/how to get the right gear, I absolutely love riding with my kids, and I'm looking forward to becoming part of the conversation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello folks!

My name is Markus - I am from Austria, so please excuse my bad english. My son Julian is 6 years old and a great fan of cycling. At the moment he rides a tuned old isla cnoc 16 (~6,5kg, incl. backpedal brake, with V-Brake it would be sub6). We do trips with maximum 10miles, but at this distance we both enjoy it.

I registered because I would like to have some more interchange of ideas - usually I write on the german forum: mtb-news - but there are just about 10 to 15 serious active members interested in kid bike tuning.

2014 he will get his hot new ride - I will open a new thread if the last parts have arrived (still waiting for the rims). But to give you a bit: it will be pretty light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
    Hello folks!

My name is Markus - I am from Austria, so yh tcj7wwde6d78wd f82giwdd7iplease excuse my bad english. My son Julian is 6 years old and a great ug2eh2g6uyrebn67t4bwn of cycling. At the moment he rides a tuned old isla cnoc 16 (~6,5kg, incl. backpedal brake, with V-Brake it would be sub6). We do trips with maximum 10miles, but at this distance we both enjoy it.
    Yug3d1b673vfsw672jvs2b
    I registered because I wodoeehuld like to have some more interchange of ideas - usually I write on the german forum: mtb-news - but there are just about 10 to 15 serious active members interested in kid bike tuning.

2014 he will get his hot new ride - I will open a new thread if the last parts have arrived (still waiting for the rims). But to give you a bit: it will be pretty light.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My dealer got the rims allready and will send it after a few tests... it is the very first time this rims are delivered to end costumers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Please introduce yourself so us parents can get to know each other.

Who are you and how long have you been riding?

How old are your kids? How much do they ride and what is your goal?

Share some pictures and stories.

fc
    Hello! Joined today for this thread.

I'm 32 and I've been riding for as long as I can recall. I Stopped riding for a while when I discovered motocross, girls and cars (in that order). I got back into riding at about 26 and started straight into downhill. Since then we've had our son (who turns 4 in January) and we have a 6th month old daughter.

We started him in a trailer on a no-so-regular basis when he was one. Then we bought him his run bike (a Giant Pre) when he turned two and he's been riding that like crazy. His first pedal bike showed up in the mail today (Spawn Banshee) and he will get that for his birthday in January.

We've been riding lots of single track and I'm super excited for him to have pedals and brakes so that he can continue to progress. He's mostly fearless now and I look forward to him kicking my ass and trips to Whistler.

Here's a not so short video of him. I tried my best to hit the 3 minute mark, but as a gushing parent, that's really hard!

Bens Ride - YouTube

Look forward to cruising the parents forum more.
    Spencer

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Welcome I liked the way he just picked himself up and dusted himself off! Bet you can't wait to get him on that Banshee.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey, I'm Jim, 35 years old with three offspring I'm a returning mountain biker, already broken a couple of ribs so far this year and trying to avoid a repeat!!

My kids are Sophie who is 6 and a half now,
    Ethan who's coming 5 in a couple of months,
    Erin who is turning 3 next week.

I love them to bits, they've all got bikes, well, Erin gets hers this weekend for her birthday gift.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi - I am chuck, 44 years old. this is an awesome forum. I have 3 awesome kids. Emma - 12, Charlie - 9.9, Leo - just hit 5 today. I just got them riding on some loops Spring of '13. Emma rocks a trek MT220 (24" she bought with yard sale earnings) in purple, and she is too big for it. Charlie is riding a 20" trek, also too little, and Leo's quiver is a strider knock off (like it better than strider), a cruiser, and a big box 10" hand-me-down bmx style bike. It will be an expensive spring considering they all need new rides and I just bought a gently used Surly Krampus...

Here are some pics of Leo on the attack:
    Parents - Roll call here.-leo-sizes-up-drop.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-leo-hits-berm-large.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-leo-whoop-appr.jpg

He always wants to ditch school and go ride, and I can appreciate that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Quote Originally Posted by boogar73 View Post
    Hi - I am chuck, 44 years old. this is an awesome forum. I have 3 awesome kids. Emma - 12, Charlie - 9.9, Leo - just hit 5 today. I just got them riding on some loops Spring of '13. Emma rocks a trek MT220 (24" she bought with yard sale earnings) in purple, and she is too big for it. Charlie is riding a 20" trek, also too little, and Leo's quiver is a strider knock off (like it better than strider), a cruiser, and a big box 10" hand-me-down bmx style bike. It will be an expensive spring considering they all need new rides and I just bought a gently used Surly Krampus...

Here are some pics of Leo on the attack:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leo sizes up the drop.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	871361

Name:	Leo hits the Berm-large.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	871362

Name:	Leo Whoop appr.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	871363

He always wants to ditch school and go ride, and I can appreciate that.
    Just upgraded my 10 yr old son to 1999 gary fisher big sur 14" that has been pimped. $200 son. Rjde the shiz out of that lightweight. I will be in his dust cloud on my krampus. Hooting all the way!!!

bikerbert

Parents - Roll call here.

My name is Al, 42. Lilly is my oldest (2 1/2), and baby to be names later is due by April 25!

Lilly already reads my Mountain Bike Action subs when they come in the mail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    AJ here. Lisa (3.5y) got her Supurb BO12 today. We took it out the box, assembled it and off she went. Think she will have little trouble passing on the Strider to one of her little friends...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-img_2267.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-img_2265.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice bike, haven't seen one of them before

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem View Post
    Nice bike, haven't seen one of them before
    Only introduced at Interbike last year. German brand/design. Lisa her bike is from the first production run. First impression is very good, solid build and as light as it can get within a EUR 400 price tag

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Still amazed how quick she picked up cycling. The Strider has def helped a lot there. Also think it was a good thing we started with a 12" bike even though she will probably on a 14" bike in no time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parents - Roll call here.-img_2275.jpg  

Parents - Roll call here.-img_2277.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Mark here. Last two years I have been riding with my now almost 9 year old daughter in the Netherlands. I am currently looking to get her a small 26" bike we can build up with some light parts and a fork that actually does something.

Parents - Roll call here.-img_2739.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi, I am Emil. My wife and I have three sons, ages 4, 8, and 12. We live in a fairly quiet area with some beautiful bike paths near Lake Michigan. We enjoy the fresh air while keeping active with our boys. One thing I have learned as a parent bicycling with young kids is that you can never be too safe. We have enjoyed many great family bike rides, but even in our quiet area with little traffic we have had close calls. One time when our middle son was just learning, we went for a bike ride where I was in the lead, next was him, then our oldest, and my wife with the youngest in the attached bicycle carrier. We stayed on the bike paths, and then there was a spot were we needed to turn right along the bike path. If you went straight you would go out into the road. I was coaching our middle son to slow down, and follow me to the right along the bike path. Well his foot slipped while slowing down, and instead of turning he went straight going out to the road while a car was coming. Thankfully, he didn't get hit, but it was a very close call. So I came up with an idea, being a hockey player, I had an old hockey stick shaft that I hockey taped to the front of his bike, and I then fastened it to the seat pole of mine. It worked great! He was still able to steer a bit on his own, but I could set the pace, slow him down or stop him. The next 6 or so family bike rides I used this contraption with him and it allowed me to coach him better, while it built his confidence. I wanted to share this idea with other families, because I'm sure there are similar stories out there. You can make your own, or I just designed a non-hockey stick version that you can check out if you like at Learn and Ride by Top Serve LLC . The one on the web site is made from furniture grade PVC, but if you wanted to make one yourself you could simply use PVC from the hardware store along with some nylon rope. Having your little one tethered to your bike, for my wife and I has made for a much more relaxing bike ride.

mtbr member
    I'm Rachel. 3 kids. 2 girls, ages 8 and 6, one boy 4. My husband races and I did a couple this year as well (very slowly). Let the kids do the "kids' race" at each of mine. The oldest seems pretty interested in maybe doing a camp next year and/or racing. We also took them to COMBA's Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day this last weekend and the 6 year old likes to go fast down hills and through the twisty single track in the trees. The 4 year old just learned to pedal a month or two ago.

Name:  10304696_10152516372691095_5278003124483209694_n.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  102.5 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm Tom, ~40 and i've been riding since I was a kid. I moved to Munich in 2000 and my boss got me into mountian bike marathons in the Alps so I got an 'OK' bike there - my Scott - and have loved riding ever since.

However, I mostly don't ride at all since moving to the Toronto area where the lifestyle does not have a huge amount of free time, but I digress

I got my son a runners-bike wooden runner when he was nearly 2 and he's a somewhat stubborn kid and wouldn't go near it for ages. At some point when he was 2, he warmed to the idea and was off. I think he was taking it on gentle skate park stuff around his 3rd birthday. When that was getting too small for him, I 'de-pedalled' a 12" toddler bike and that became his new balance bike, but it took him a long time to get used to it and still preferred his wooden one even when he had turned 4.

As for pedals, he was never one to work out pedalling for the longest time, even on one of those kiddy trike things. I got him a 14" pedal bike when he was 4, but he was really resistant to trying it and didn't get round to riding it until he was 5, this year.

Because of his reluctance to pedal, I had let him use his balance bike for a very long time, and he loves it, but I didn't realise there were so many cool bikes now (Spawn). Maybe they would have helped the cause.

Now I am stuck wondering what to do next. The 14" toy-shop bike he has now is abysmal and I really like the look of the 16" spawn bike, but wondering if I left it too late and should move on to a 20" bike now.

And that brings me here, where I will no doubt spend a few months reading & researching, trying to work out what to get him next. he turns 6 in March next year...

Hi all!

Tom...

cycle dad
    I'm Ryan. My wife and I are almost 30 and we have 4 kids. Our twins are 5, our next is 2 and we have an infant. The twins rock pedal bikes and the 2yr old is on a strider.
    We all love to ride. The twins are learning the art of dirt and one of them loves it. The other likes going fast on the bike path.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hello all

First post here at mtbr. Thought i'd intro myself since chances are this forum is where i'll be lurking most

Lee here from Vancouver BC. Wife & i late 30s, with our with 3 kids, 12 girl, 10 boy, 6 girl who all started riding bikes at about 3 years old. Now heavily into the BMX racing scene for the last 5 years. All 3 kids are nationally ranked in Canada & US, and ride for Staats Bicycles. We as a family all love to ride bikes, and now wanting to get into the mtb scene since theres so much awesome terrain here. Looking to build/buy 'proper' dirtjumper/AM bikes for the oldest two. a 2-4 for the boy, and a 26 for the girl to get us going. its fun learning & researching new bikes, specs & gear!

heres my 12 year old:
    Parents - Roll call here.-violet_02_web.jpg

my 10 year old:
    Parents - Roll call here.-diego_nl_web.jpg

lil 6 year old:
    Parents - Roll call here.-georgina_dsc07705.jpg

hoping to learn lots and maybe throw in a couple pennies here n there!

cheers
    lee

Existential dilemma
    Dec 2014
    Great photos Lee! What make/model are those bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hello, I am Neil. I have been riding bikes since around age 6 or 7. Rode a lot during my teens and in college. Put a lot of miles on my old Diamondback riding from one end of the VT campus to the other.

I am now in my 40s and have four sons from age 14 to 7. I got back into riding this spring since teaching two (9 and 7) of my four sons ride. My oldest (14) son also got back into riding this spring since learning to ride about 5 years go. My sons and I try to ride around the neighborhood and nearby trails in the afternoon and on weekends. It's great excercise for everyone (and it sure beats running and tearing up my knee and ankle joints). The best part is that the boys will ask me if we can go riding, so they are motivated in that way.

I also need to get my wife back into riding with the rest of the family. She has not been on a bike since she was 13.
    Last edited by goldenhawk; 05-29-2015 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm DD. 46. Rode mtb a lot 20 years ago. Got a job that has no set schedule and lots of hours. Had no time for biked. Live close to Great Allegheny Passage. Wife loves the trail. 6 y/o son just getting into it (outgrown his Hotrock 20--tallest kid in kindergarten, taller than most of the 1st graders) upgrading old Hotrock 24 for him now. Youngest is 2. Started out loving the chariot, now hates it, but enjoys the jogging stroller. Go figure

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm Ryan, 35. Wife and I Got in to MTB about 4 months ago and love it.

We have two kids Daughter who will be 7 in July and son who just turned two. Daughter didn't really take an interest in biking until last September and since then we've been through three bikes. She started in her little 16" then graduated to a 20" single speed and I bought my wife and I cheap bikes. We started riding the local bike paths around Valencia, Ca and we're doing 15 miles with her on the single speed. We then got her a diamondback 20" which she did much better on and I bought my wife and I new decent bikes (29er Rockhopper for me and a 27.5 specialized Jynx for her). The diamondback shifter was unbelievably difficult and I looked at upgrading components and realized it was going to cost me nearly what the bike did. So we hit the LBS and she ended up with a Hardrock 24" and now she gives me a run for my money. I tow our two year in a Weehoo iGo trailer and when we are at the park or home he mobs around on his Haro Prewheelz. He goes down hills/driveways/stairs whatever he can find. He's a monster and will probably be on pedals in 6 months or less.

We took my daughter and son and their first MTB ride last weekend and they loved it. My daughter constantly talks about wanting to join a team. Unfortunately can't find anything local for her to get in with. So until we can we will just keep hitting local trails as a family.

I'll post up some pictures when I'm on my computer. My phone won't let me.

mtbr member
    Hi I'm Shane and I've been riding since about 3 or 4 years old. I grew up in a family that placed a huge importance on riding two wheels (bicycles and motorcycles). Growing up we would do organized rides like 25 miler's where you have organized rest stops for snacks drinks and hanging out. We also used to have a whole family bike ride that one of the family members would host each year, usually in the 25 mile range. The only requirememt was that there had to be an ice cream stop somewhere on the route. This was about 20-30 family members, all shape and sizes

Once I went to high school I traded the bicycles in for a legit dirt bike and did a little racing and riding with my dad on the trails. As a senior in high school I traded in the dirt bike for a crotch rocket (FZR 600), that bike was fast and light (and scared the hell out of my parents). Once in college I couldn't afford the insurance anymore so I sold the FZR and bought my first real mountain bike, a Trek 830. Loved that bike and rode the hell out of it until one day the bike ferries (the thieving kind) took it away from me. This was the first time since I could remember that I didn't have a bike to ride, motor or no motor. Let's just say that was kinda like the dark ages for me. After that year of college I worked all summer and bought a gem of a mountain bike, a Klien Pulse comp 3, which I still have today (thank you bike ferry!). I think that bike really solidified the art of mountain biking with me!

After graduating college I went to work in the "real world" and kinda lost my biking way for a year or so to focus on life as an adult. I then met one of my lifelong friends who re-introduced me to my old Klien and the fire was rekindled. Then came the Vicious Cycles "Metal Guru". Wow that was (and still is) a bad ass bike! I have still not found a bike that fit me quite like that bike did, like a glove. After riding that for several years I went into the 29er world with a Redline "Flight 29" single speed. Lets just say that it set another fire that burned into a SS revolution for me. I rode the hell out of that bike taking it into several 100 mile mountain bike races and mountain journeys. I then started designing my own bikes with some of the local builders. I learned after a few frames that light weight can sometimes be a little fragile and was repairing my frames until they couldn't be fixed anymore. I then called on Carl Strong who really knows whats up in the frame building biz. That bike is still rocking and I plan on riding it in the upcoming Leadville 100 this year!

Now back to the parent side of things. I am a dad of 2 young boys who have changed the way I think about riding. They started on striders and started pedaling by themselves at ages 2 and 3. For me riding is like breathing so I really wanted to make sure my boys are starting the right way. After a few hand-me-downs from some of my friends we decided to buck up and purchase a "real" 20" bike. We went down the the lbs and bought a canondale trail. The thinking was that "its a cannondale" it should be a great bike. So we rode it home from the bike shop and he loved it until we got to the hill near our house, he tried to but just couldn't make it up the hill. Once we got home I threw it on the scale and realized that the bike was 23lbs, more than half of his body weight. I then started really looking at the bike to swap out components to lighten it up but noticed that some of the parts were just not a good fit. The bars were almost as wide as my bars, so I cut them down to fit his chest size. That's when I started thinking, why doesn't someone make a better/lighter kids bike, after all we just dropped $300 on it and it wasn't that great.

I work in the bike industry and couldn't figure this out, so I decided, why not make my own? How hard could it be, right? Well that led me down the path of creating an entirely new brand of bikes that focuses on how kids ride and making sure they can start riding without the burden of heavy weights and poor geometry/components. Out of this journey Pello Bikes was born. Now when the boys are riding they are not only pedaling for the sake of pedaling, they are loving it! Asking me all sorts of questions about how to do this or that and even riding up that big hill that we struggled with not that long ago.

After a lot of design revisions and prototyping I wanted to make sure we were on to something so we started passing the prototypes out to testers (mostly friends and family with kids that ride). All the feed back has been positive and decided to try and make a go with these little bikes and start offering them for sale. We are currently on kickstarter and have our website up and going now, with regular reports on Facebook we feel that the cycling community has started to embrace Pello and hope that it will continue into the future. After all, life's an Adventure, Let's Ride!

Please check us out and spread the word if you like what we are trying to do.

pellobikes.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-childrens-bic

Parents - Roll call here.-wheelie-dude.jpgParents - Roll call here.-family-bike-ride-1992-1-small.jpgParents - Roll call here.-img_2352-small.jpg
    Parents - Roll call here.-kickstarter_pello_colin1.jpgParents - Roll call here.-kickstarter_pello_developed.jpgParents - Roll call here.-kickstarter_pello_header.jpg

mtbr member

For the love of cycling

Hi I'm Shane and I've been riding since about 3 or 4 years old. I grew up in a family that placed a huge importance on riding two wheels (bicycles and motorcycles). Growing up we would do organized rides like 25 miler's where you have organized rest stops for snacks drinks and hanging out. We also used to have a whole family bike ride that one of the family members would host each year, usually in the 25 mile range. The only requirememt was that there had to be an ice cream stop somewhere on the route. This was about 20-30 family members, all shape and sizes

Once I went to high school I traded the bicycles in for a legit dirt bike and did a little racing and riding with my dad on the trails. As a senior in high school I traded in the dirt bike for a crotch rocket (FZR 600), that bike was fast and light (and scared the hell out of my parents). Once in college I couldn't afford the insurance anymore so I sold the FZR and bought my first real mountain bike, a Trek 830. Loved that bike and rode the hell out of it until one day the bike ferries (the thieving kind) took it away from me. This was the first time since I could remember that I didn't have a bike to ride, motor or no motor. Let's just say that was kinda like the dark ages for me. After that year of college I worked all summer and bought a gem of a mountain bike, a Klien Pulse comp 3, which I still have today (thank you bike ferry!). I think that bike really solidified the art of mountain biking with me!

After graduating college I went to work in the "real world" and kinda lost my biking way for a year or so to focus on life as an adult. I then met one of my lifelong friends who re-introduced me to my old Klien and the fire was rekindled. Then came the Vicious Cycles "Metal Guru". Wow that was (and still is) a bad ass bike! I have still not found a bike that fit me quite like that bike did, like a glove. After riding that for several years I went into the 29er world with a Redline "Flight 29" single speed. Lets just say that it set another fire that burned into a SS revolution for me. I rode the hell out of that bike taking it into several 100 mile mountain bike races and mountain journeys. I then started designing my own bikes with some of the local builders. I learned after a few frames that light weight can sometimes be a little fragile and was repairing my frames until they couldn't be fixed anymore. I then called on Carl Strong who really knows whats up in the frame building biz. That bike is still rocking and I plan on riding it in the upcoming Leadville 100 this year!

Now back to the parent side of things. I am a dad of 2 young boys who have changed the way I think about riding. They started on striders and started pedaling by themselves at ages 2 and 3. For me riding is like breathing so I really wanted to make sure my boys are starting the right way. After a few hand-me-downs from some of my friends we decided to buck up and purchase a "real" 20" bike. We went down the the lbs and bought a canondale trail. The thinking was that "its a cannondale" it should be a great bike. So we rode it home from the bike shop and he loved it until we got to the hill near our house, he tried to but just couldn't make it up the hill. Once we got home I threw it on the scale and realized that the bike was 23lbs, more than half of his body weight. I then started really looking at the bike to swap out components to lighten it up but noticed that some of the parts were just not a good fit. The bars were almost as wide as my bars, so I cut them down to fit his chest size. That's when I started thinking, why doesn't someone make a better/lighter kids bike, after all we just dropped $300 on it and it wasn't that great.

I work in the bike industry and couldn't figure this out, so I decided, why not make my own? How hard could it be, right? Well that led me down the path of creating an entirely new brand of bikes that focuses on how kids ride and making sure they can start riding without the burden of heavy weights and poor geometry/components. Out of this journey Pello Bikes was born. Now when the boys are riding they are not only pedaling for the sake of pedaling, they are loving it! Asking me all sorts of questions about how to do this or that and even riding up that big hill that we struggled with not that long ago.

After a lot of design revisions and prototyping I wanted to make sure we were on to something so we started passing the prototypes out to testers (mostly friends and family with kids that ride). All the feed back has been positive and decided to try and make a go with these little bikes and start offering them for sale. We are currently on kickstarter and have our website up and going now, with regular reports on Facebook we feel that the cycling community has started to embrace Pello and hope that it will continue into the future. After all, life's an Adventure, Let's Ride!

Please check us out and spread the word if you like what we are trying to do.

pellobikes.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-childrens-bic
    Parents - Roll call here.-wheelie-dude.jpgParents - Roll call here.-family-bike-ride-1992-1-small.jpgParents - Roll call here.-img_2352-small.jpgParents - Roll call here.-kickstarter_pello_colin1.jpgParents - Roll call here.-kickstarter_pello_developed.jpgParents - Roll call here.-kickstarter_pello_header.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    LOVE IT!!!

in 25 yrs old, i have a 3 1/2 yr girl, she loves bikes, can only ride trike as of yet, BUT will learn 2wheeler this Christmas when santa brings her a big girl bike...

i ride a fatbike (low end LOL) the wife will be riding her 24" magna she got from a friend(shes also pregnant with #2 right now!!!)

right now just looking for a trailer so i can lug my lil one around, shes always asking to go with me, but cant yet... i cant wait till she rides and we can go as a family!

im going to be following this thread because i love seeing kids get into biking!!!

happy riding all!

mtbr member
    Hi,

I am Jan, Dutch guy living in Germany (Europe). I'm just over 40 and have two sons, one is now 4 1/2 and the other one just 6 months. I myself have been into mountainbiking since I was 15 or so, my first bike was a specialized rockhopper in pink with bright green decals Sold my last MTB last year since it was only collecting dust in the basement, no time for MTB anymore with two kids...but I build up a new touring bike last year, since I started commuting by bike every day a few years ago, which is approx. 7m each way.

My oldest son likes riding so far, last weekend we made a camping trip of 4 miles each way on which he carried his own sleeping bag and mat. On the way home on Sunday it rained for the entire 4m and I believe he didn't even take notice of it. Furthermore we have been riding on the skater's place a few times, which he likes a lot, too.

I am thinking now of getting him a kiddy mtb or at least a geared bike. We live in the south of Hamburg, close to the forest which has a lot of good forest roads and nice trails of all kinds to practice on. I will dig around in this subforum to see if there is anything useful (first impression: yes a lot of useful things)

Parents - Roll call here.-dscn9871.jpg

Parents - Roll call here.-dscn9981.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

Name:	DSCN9981.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	1005199
    Awesome picture!!
    Sinister Bikes