mtbr member
    Jan 2013

overnight bike camping trip with kids

Was thinking of trying to do a overnight trip with my kids next year. One will be trailered (2 year old) and the other one will be riding (6 year old). Anyone that has tried this before have any suggestions on what I may need to plan on or bring.

Thanks
    Steve
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Have you ever taken your 2 year old camping? We took my son camping "once" when he was 2. We waited until he was 4 to go again. I'd bring diapers and lots and lots of patience and don't plan on sleeping. My son would not sleep with us in our double sleeping bag. He did not like being covered and would wake up every couple hours crying and trying to pull back the covers. Everyone is different, and it probably works well for some, Good luck!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Try the backyard campout first :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good point..we have only stayed in cabins in the past. This would be first time in tent.
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    We've done a couple overnight bike trips, but a lot more overnight raft trips (which are fairly similar). We started our kids doing overnight raft trips at 6 months old, so they have always liked camping (or at least learned to like it at a very early age). But the three most important things were: portable DVD player (with backup batteries and a lot of DVD choices), all types of snacks that they like and their sleep time comforts like blankets and stuffed animals along with all the important stuff like warm clothes/sleeping bag, tent, etc. I don't really like bringing electronics like a DVD player into the wilderness, but it sure does help their comfort level when they are tired and laying in the tent.
    Also think about the ambient noises that they might not be used to. It's pretty quiet in their bedroom, but depending where you are outside and the weather conditions, it could be pretty different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We have done a pile of camping with our kids, when 2 year olds were involved, we generally got less sleep than usual, but we didn't have any actual sleepless nights. We used a snowsuit as a sleeping bag and in winter we doubled it with a second snowsuit a size larger. Our daughter always napped outdoors in a stroller, trailer or sled, so sleeping outside was natural to her. The kids will be thrilled playing with sticks and rocks, so I would bring no toys unless you are going on a multi-day trip with lots of biking.