mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Outgrown? Photos.

Here's my son on his 20" GT. He is doing a big series of MTB races this fall and I'm curious if it's time to get him on a 24" bike, or even on a scaled down XS 26". (I think the latter would be too big, but am open to opinions.)

What do you folks say? I just don't know my MTBs well enough to know.

Thanks so much!

7 yo BMXer/MTBer -modded 20" GT Stomper.
    2 yo BMXer -Haro Micro and custom 3spd Specialized.
    '97 Gary Fisher Aquila.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Stem Swap

The frame still looks good under him but the cockpit looks cramped. I'd throw a longer and/or lower rise stem on there.

Perhaps a 24" but seeing the standover of the gt frame you'd probably have the seat close to all the way down on a new bike.

I'd skip the XS 26" idea all together. I think too many people try to make that work just out of convenience for using the frame longer and having more readily available parts. The fit is just off for most kids dimensions.

Many shorter adults would be better off with 24" wheels/bikes rather than tiny framed 26" wheeled bikes.

turtles make me hot
    My son looked even a little bigger than that on his 20. I tried getting him on small 26ers and they were too big. I ended up building a 24" wheeled bike with a 26" fork. Works perfectly.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is that a redline r6 fork? What kind of brakes is that on it? I have the same fork but not sure how what kind of brakes to put on it.

mtbr member
    I've had great success with the 24" bike and would highly recommend. I agree that it's too early for XS 26", but I wouldn't through the whole idea out, just see where he is in a couple of years. If your son is riding on rocky chunky trail then definitely consider the 24", the bigger wheels make quite a difference.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Definitely big enough for a 24" for trail riding.

Cute dawg.