bike geek

OT: Little kids on BMX?

Not the right forum I know but between this and the Norcal board I don't really visit any others regularly.

The sitch is this...my 5 1/2 year old has gotten pretty comfortable on his 16" wheeled single gear coaster brake bike, but could move up to a 20" pretty soon and he wouldn't mind a couple gears and a hand brake, so I have started looking around at various options.

The LBS has some basic Specialized/Kona 20" bikes that would fit the bill but I wonder if a 20" BMX would be fun for him too? Yeah I know, no gears, but he sees me on my SS enough to know it's "ok" to have only one gear.

I didn't grow up on BMX so don't really have a personal history or memories of riding them from my childhood to try and transpose on my son. I doubt he'll really get into dirt jumping and there is no BMX racing scene around here that I am aware of, so he would mostly just be tooling around on it with his buddies.

Is this an appropriate sort of next bike for a 6yr old once he can fit on it, or do 20" BMX get ridden more by older kids doing tricks & stuff?

MLH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    BMX- the racing variety, not "freestyle"- bikes do actually come in sizes. While the wheel size is the same, the geometry is altered to meet the needs of kids. I found this out when my soon to be brother in law bought a BMX that was made for 9 year olds... the best part was that he didn't know it until a few weeks later.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Ah heck, do both! My little guy went to a geared Giant 225 w/ 24" wheels when he was about 7. Rides it all over. I've taken him to Rockville and on the Emigrant trail outside Truckee a few times. He really appreciated the gears when Mountain Biking. Weight on BMX becomes an issue too. Some of the BMX bikes are tanks and would cause some complaints from kids who have to peddle them up hills.
    With that said, my son got a BMX bike for xmas. He wanted something to go goof around on with friends. He calls it his single speed.
    Don't harsh my mello

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Ah heck, do both!
    Good point. After all, Dad has 6 bikes plus a tandem

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    ... so he would mostly just be tooling around on it with his buddies.

Is this an appropriate sort of next bike for a 6yr old once he can fit on it, or do 20" BMX get ridden more by older kids doing tricks & stuff?
    Absolutely. BMX bikes aren't just for dirt jumping, racing... it's a great bike for kids to just ride around on. And since it doesn't have gears, it's not a problem when they leaving it laying around the yard. There are plenty of options for sizing up kids of all ages on a 20" BMX type bike. At 6, you should probably look at something with a lower profile (low stand over) type frame.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Kids emulate parents...
    Our garage is stuffed too. I've got 4, he's got 3 (still has the little 16" to be silly with). My 6YO girl just added a 24" Trek to her stable. Nothing's collecting dust though!
    Don't harsh my mello