mtbr member
    Jan 2012

OT: Bob double strollers any good?

Our expensive Chariot fell apart after 7 months, REI took it back pre exchange change. Now the cheap no name replacement also fell victim to my 95 percentile size twins. Looking for a decent replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Looking for a decent replacement.
    I'm a huge, HUGE fan of the single BOB, but just a big fan of the BOB. In my experience, BOB put a lot of engineering thought into the the single, but then just widened it to make to the double. For example, the console is great on the single, but on the double it's got the same two cup holders and dinky cargo pouch, with tons of dead space. Other than the double being twice as wide and much heavier (I feel bad complaining about the laws of physics...), I've found that if you run with it, the front wheel has a tough time staying in trim. The Bob with two kids and their crap is too heavy, and tends to overcome the trim setting. I put some plumbers tape on to tighten it up, andit helped, but it's still not perfect.

So, as a jogging stroller, I give it a B+ maybe, due to the trimming issues and the fact that it can be dicey getting through the guard posts on the bike trail. I've done a test run with a tandem double (I forget the brand), and I have to admit it was pretty tough to lift/turn that front wheel due to the large moment arm. So, I'm guilty of complaining without having a great solution.

As far as using it "just" as a double stroller, it's awesome! A bit heavy and bulky, but it is SO EASY to push with two kids and all their stuff! It's been worth it for me as far as labor of pushing goes, and for my mental sanity as the kids are comfy and well supplied so whining is kept to a minimum! Good luck!