Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Orbea MX 24 team

Orbea is offering very nice 24' bike but could not find any specs. From picture seems very light ...

Can anybody give more info
    - weight?
    - specs?
    - anything to upgrade?

Price here in Europe is 400-450 EUR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orbea MX 24 team-orbeamx24team.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've got one arriving for my son in a couple of weeks.

From what I've found out the MX24 Team weighs 9.9kg which is very light for any kids bike.

Specs
    Frame ORBEA MX ALU 24"
    Fork ORBEA ALU 24"
    Crankset ALUMINIUM 32T
    Headset SEMIINTEGRATED 1 1/8
    Handlebar ORBEA OC-I FLAT
    Stem ORBEA OC-I
    Shifters SHIMANO DEORE
    Brakes ALU V-BRAKE
    Rear derailleur SHIMANO DEORE
    Chain SHIMANO HG54
    Rear cogs SHIMANO HG62 11-36 10S
    Wheels ORBEA 24"
    Pedals VP 570
    Seat post ORBEA OC-I
    Saddle ORBEA MX 24

So it has a single 32 front chain ring with bash guard combined with a wide range 11-36 SLX cassette and 10 speed Deore rear shifter/mech. That's about the best spec I've seen on any kids bike drive chain apart from the Genesis Core 24".

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by neninja View Post

From what I've found out the MX24 Team weighs 9.9kg which is very light for any kids bike.

Specs
    Frame ORBEA MX ALU 24"
    Fork ORBEA ALU 24"
    Crankset ALUMINIUM 32T
    Stem ORBEA OC-I
    Shifters SHIMANO DEORE
    Brakes ALU V-BRAKE
    Chain SHIMANO HG54
    Wheels ORBEA 24"
    Pedals VP 570
    Seat post ORBEA OC-I
    Saddle ORBEA MX 24

So it has a single 32 front chain ring with bash guard combined with a wide range 11-36 SLX cassette and 10 speed Deore rear shifter/mech. That's about the best spec I've seen on any kids bike drive chain apart from the Genesis Core 24".
    Did you get the bike and if so how is the quality and what is the acutal weight?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've got it but it's not my sons birthday until tomorrow so it's not been used yet.

I haven't weighed it but it feels like a 10kg bike. It has high quality parts for a kids bike - 10 Speed Deore Dynasys shifters and mech with SLX cassette are much better than what you expect on a kids bike. The tyres are Speed Block 8's which normally retail for 25-30 per tyre over here.

It's really well finished and has upgrade potential - Orbea have fitted rear brake caliper mounts to upgrade to discs, cable stays to fit a front mech and the chainrings are replaceable (the bash ring is also replaceable to upgrade to a double set up).

All in all first impressions are very good.

Goat of Legend
    If your gonna have your son doing any serious offroading I'd consider a carbon fork such as Exotic's.

I rode a cheap aluminum fork for a few months and it beat me to pieces. Carbon absorbs alot but for that price you could probably find a 24 suspension fork or if he is tall enough get a cheap 26 inch air fork and install a v brake adapter.

eXotic FFLY Carbon BMX Fork 24 Inch, Ahead Al Steerer | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out. I specifically didn't want a suspension fork as they simply don't work on well kids bikes as they are generally over-sprung and just add weight.

We had one very happy boy this morning. He was out riding it by 7.30am - it's amazing how much more confidence a light weight bike gives. He was flying up hills his old heavy single geared bike had him walking up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Specs
    Frame ORBEA MX ALU 24"
    Fork ORBEA ALU 24"
    Crankset ALUMINIUM 32T
    Stem ORBEA OC-I
    Shifters SHIMANO DEORE
    Brakes ALU V-BRAKE
    Chain SHIMANO HG54
    Wheels ORBEA 24"
    Pedals VP 570
    Seat post ORBEA OC-I
    Saddle ORBEA MX 24

Great little bike . The best spec drive train comes on the Scott Scale RC & Spark RC, XT cassette & XT rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Both the Scott RC models cost 2.5 times more than the Orbea.

The Orbea is 1lb lighter than the Scott Scale RC JR which costs 959.00 in the UK compared to 350 the MX 24 Team cost me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Both the Scott RC models cost 2.5 times more than the Orbea.

The Orbea is 1lb lighter than the Scott Scale RC JR which costs 959.00 in the UK compared to 350 the MX 24 Team cost me!
    I'm suprised the Orbea is that heavy. If you took a Scale RC JR, replaced the heavy 1680 grams fork with a rigid fork, removed the triple chain rings, derailleur, shifter, cables, etc and went to a single chainring like the Orbea set up it would be approx. 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. lighter than the Orbea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just ordered one of these for my daughter,no stock in uk of the white and blue one,so have to wait for one to be shipped from spain,looks to be a cracking spec for the money,she currently rides a islabike beinn 20 small but its getting a bit small for her ,she is 7 but very tall.I wanted to get another islabike but she is knagging me to get a mtb like dads,lol.I didn't bother with the xc suspension model,as i plan to do a sid conversion later which should work much better and keep the weight down .I'm sure i can improve on the spec /weight just by raiding my many boxes of mtb spares in the garage,i need a new project now i've finished playing with my bikes.Once it arrives i can get her down to afan argoeds(wales) new beginner trails and skills area to try it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My son has been really pleased with his MX24 Team. It's certainly very light - it feels noticeably lighter than his friends Scott Scale JR. It's brought his riding on loads.

The only items I will change in the short term are the pedals. The pedals are plastic and get slippery when wet. I'll be fitting a pair of proper flats with pins and get some skate shoes for him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Somebody with one these on bike radar i think found some nice light flats on ebay for his daughters bike.On paper after weighing my daughters islabike beinn the team should be lighter,so thats a bonus , mind you her isla does have a rack, full mudguards and a side stand which add weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Pedals from ebay were sars cnc if this helps.Probably change brakes to avid unless some light hydralic disc set up comes along at the right price,typical i had a spare set of hopes but sold them on,m4 monos might have been overkill though lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just bought some older sids for 24 on ebay and they are painted blue already,i might paint them white and get some newer style blue sid graphics for them, service them and make a brake conversion arch thing if i dont go discs.Should be all sorted by the time the bike arrives from spain and the build will start .

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bad news first orbea dealer cant get the bike that was ordered,at first told they could definately get one,now there are none available and i have to wait untol 2013 models come out which is supposed to be soon.Sids i bought cheap the stanchions are scrap,so i have located another set.Took my daughter to a bike trail centre with her 20" islabike with some maxxis mtb tyres on it,she loved it she did sime easy trail riding before spending ages on a pump track and skills area,i had to drag her off it in the end,she was loving the mini northshore with drops,berms doubles etc with no fear at all ,so i think the investment in a new bike and tricking it up will be well worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Have you contacted Orbea UK direct to confirm that this is the case?

After i was told by a dealer it would be a wait of 3 months I contacted them and found them to be very helpful. I used a different dealer who were excellent and delivery was 4 weeks (Cestria Cycles in Chester Le Street).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Now ordered through another dealer with help from orbea uk,according to orbea uk spec and colours the same for 2013.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bike finally arrived ,very pleased with it,but pedals and brake levers are plastic junk.Build comences now ,got some sids to go on, along with sun ringle singletrack rims and hope hubs which need to be built up along discs which are yet to be decided on and easton carbon bars and easton stem etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Swapped seat from light but hard stock one to a wtb she ,it may be heavier but i dont want to put her off bikes for life .Swapped seatpost for a chopped thompson elite that was in the garage,seat was also thete from a experiment to get the wife riding a stumpy fsr that i built,i guess some people will never like bikes .Changed grips for peaty lock ons,fitted ali bolts to chainset plus swapped some lighter small bits around that i had in the parts bin,junked reflectors,made some light mudguards up from a old the moto style two piece i bought once.Waiting for wheels and brake caliper adaptors ,got dome avid elixor5's to go on with 160 front and 140 rear discs cheap off ebay.Will fit lighter bash guard and chainring,bottom bracket later.Build starts in a couple of weeks, after i have been on a works mtb trip to north wales ,company are paying for two vans and a mini bus plus fuel,not a bad ge bike club outing.!!

mtbr member
    Interesting that this is a UK model only, the US models are the typical junk with suspension forks only and even a full suspension version...
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice little bike, I bet your little one loves it!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    These fantastic little bikes and their 20" brethren are now available in the U.S. They are a little pricey but look what you get for your money!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulys_tx View Post
    These fantastic little bikes and their 20" brethren are now available in the U.S. They are a little pricey but look what you get for your money!!!!!!!!
    I see they just updated the US website with the 2013 models.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My dealer is expecting Sept delivery and an MSRP of $599

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Now built up ,a few tweaks to do,shorten hoses,steerer,looks the business all colour matched,she should get to try it out this weekend.I took to my lbs today because when they built the wheels they wanted to see the finished build,they liked it a lot,weighed it with mudguards on and it was 25lb ,but theres still weight to be lost yet,cranks etc are still stock,only added 2lb so far with discs,sid fork,plus pedals i put on had to be swapped for less aggressive ones to save little legs,seat was replacedwith heavier wtb she for comfort.Pics to follow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast