Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any pics? Sounds nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is one of the options I'm looking at along with the GT Zasker 24, the GT is a little more expensive but when you add in discs and front suspension they come out fairly close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The GT is about 5 pounds heavier than the Orbea - seems for the same money as the GT you could add the XCR air fork and come in 2-3 pounds lighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How heavy is the GT, I can't find the weight on the net (I can't find the weight for the MX Team either)
    Last edited by KiwiRob; 10-17-2012 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you look on the GT page 27.03 pounds, the Orbea is 9.9 kg. I have one on order here in the US, they are currently stuck being tested for lead paint (Orbea said the container got randomly pulled).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok 2kg's difference, I guess that's the fork and disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hallo,
    someone already upgraded this bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by neninja View Post
    Both the Scott RC models cost 2.5 times more than the Orbea.

The Orbea is 1lb lighter than the Scott Scale RC JR which costs 959.00 in the UK compared to 350 the MX 24 Team cost me!
    You really have to drill down into cost though. The Orbea is light, but it really has some entry spec parts, the wheels probably are not that light, it lacks a front derailleur, shifter and chainrings to get the weight that low. The Scott Scale RC JR looks like it's built to be an all-out race bike for a 7-11 year old and comes fully geared with suspension out of the box. Check out the wheels and low spoke count, for instance. I think the XT rear derailluer is a bit much and overkill for a kids bike (my SLX works fine for me) but the XT level rear cassette to take down rotational weight from the wheels is a nice touch.

I guess if you are purely looking for a light 24" bike then the Orbea is a great deal. I just know my son would ask...

"Where's the rest of the front gears?"
    "Where's the suspension fork?"
    "Where's the front shifter?"
    "Why do I have to push my bike up hills still?"

Then again, we do have hills where a bailout/granny is critical. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Weight front wheel and tire is about 1.5 kg without quick releases. Tire weight is 425 g. Tomorrow I will consider some of the other components.
    google translator

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Finally took some pics ,fork has just been swapped from a sid xc hydra-air to a dual air sl,hence i now need to shorten the steerer so slightly higher bars and stem in these pics,

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2