Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Personally, I wouldn't spend that level of funds on a bike for paved path riding. I'm not really sure what the point of the Street 24 is. It's got really cheap discs, lefty fork, but still has a freewheel. Maybe I just don't get it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't spend that level of funds on a bike for paved path riding. I'm not really sure what the point of the Street 24 is. It's got really cheap discs, lefty fork, but still has a freewheel. Maybe I just don't get it?
    She's moving from a 16" bike and needs to re-develop her bike skills. I am trying to find her the lightest 24" within reason. Most 24" bikes have a heavy coil/spring fork which she doesn't need and are priced from $399-$469. And all of those have a minimum of a steel handlebar, some more steel.

I found exactly two rigid fork 24". The Cannondale Street and a Specialized Hardrock Street. The Specialized has a steel handlebar and is $469. Plus the local Spesh dealer says he doesn't order in the kids bikes for people. For $489, I can get the Cannondale Street with all alloy parts, double walled rims and cheap disc brakes.

I am open to other suggestions so if anyone has ideas, please let me know ASAP. Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but I can't get an Islabike as they won't ship to Canada.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I forgot about the Trek FX as well Kids' FX Girl's - Kids' collection - Trek Bicycle

I could take another look at it. It's $479 so only $10 cheaper than the Cannondale and has a steel fork. I'm having trouble finding out if the handlebar is steel or not. I *think* it may be alloy.

It's also only a 7 speed, which is actually probably great for my kid. But seems like the Cannondale would provide more "bang for the buck"? Maybe I'm missing something though.

Also, is there a difference between the Shimano Tourney twist shifters and the Revo twist? Searching brings up a lot of "Tourney Revo shift" so I'm not sure if they are the same, better or worse.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm still interested in alternative suggestions. I'm getting my husband to call and cancel our bike order for a 2nd time (we'd cancelled the 20" already) as I've read about several brake failures on adult bikes with the Tektro Novela that's on the Cannondale Street 24.

Can I easily upgrade the disc brakes on the Street 24?

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenMAUW View Post
    I'm still interested in alternative suggestions. I'm getting my husband to call and cancel our bike order for a 2nd time (we'd cancelled the 20" already) as I've read about several brake failures on adult bikes with the Tektro Novela that's on the Cannondale Street 24.

The recommended standover heights on that PDF seem very conservative. Have you compared the listed standover on the Cannondale bikes to the listed standover on the bikes she actually tried or at least sat on at the shop?

Comparing standover heights from manufacturer to manufacturer isn't always perfect but it might give you some piece of mind.

I'd be very surprised if the brakes on the Cannondale couldn't be easily replaced. It wasn't that long ago that really good disc brakes could be bought as pull-offs but that doesn't see to be as common anymore. I doubt the Lefty has some sort of proprietary mounting system and the rear should be standard or at least allow use of an adapter if it isn't.

I've been meaning to read through this thread a bit more closely but still haven't gotten around to it.

Gut reaction was that if I were in your situation I would probably go with the Street 24 although I'm not a fan of the freehub or triple front crank. I wouldn't let upgrading the brakes be a factor.

How tall is your daughter and what is her inseam? Did you measure the inseam barefoot and using a book or something to mark a level spot on the wall? Sorry if you mentioned that elsewhere.

Last thought is to look into some of the youth racing bikes and possible swapping out to a flat bar, although that requires new brake levers and shifters. I think Scott makes one? I think they also make a nice 24" MTB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks CJH. She's 49.5" tall with a 22.5" inseam (in socks with book against wall). I did compare geometries between some bikes she's sat on and the Cannondales. All seems comparable so I don't think the 24" Cannondales will be any worse for for than others. I had a bike store in another city measure the seat height in lowest postion and it was lower than the Norco she tried.

I will take a look at the Scott offering a. It seems we have a dealer that carries Scott. I know he doesn't carry any of the kids bikes in store and he's the same store who won't order in the kids Specialized, but can't hurt to look and ask.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You know, I've gotta agree with thesmokingman. IMO, you're overthinking and overspending for the type and level of riding you need to accomodate. Is there really nothing out there used or on clearance somewhere for less than half a grand that would handle cruising down the bike path?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    She's 49.5" tall with a 22.5" inseam.
    For what it is worth, that's puts her at the minimums for the 24" according the sizing charts at Islabikes. I know you can't get their products but it's helpful to look at charts when you can.

One of the other higher end companies has a similar sizing chart. I think it was Spawn but I'm not sure. Worth checking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You know, I've gotta agree with thesmokingman. IMO, you're overthinking and overspending for the type and level of riding you need to accomodate. Is there really nothing out there used or on clearance somewhere for less than half a grand that would handle cruising down the bike path?
    Absolutely zero used bikes that aren't from Canadian Tire or Walmart. The clearance bikes she sat on. The pictured 24" Norco with shock for $350 and it was heavy. Then there are new 24" models from Giant, Norco, Trek, etc. For $400, all with heavy shock and various steel parts other than frame.

I really would like something light and simple and it doesn't seem to be found in a 24" bike.

One of the main reasons she does paved paths is because we go out together and her sister is in the Chariot which we can't take on our trails down by the river. I can't say she won't do more varied terrain when she's older. So would be nice to have the bike upgradeable seeing as she'll probably ride it for 3-4 years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    For what it is worth, that's puts her at the minimums for the 24" according the sizing charts at Islabikes. I know you can't get their products but it's helpful to look at charts when you can.

One of the other higher end companies has a similar sizing chart. I think it was Spawn but I'm not sure. Worth checking.
    Thx, I did check out those charts. I find the 24" is a bit much for her to manoeuvre right now but we've now got her using a 28 pound big box store 20 incher that we've had in the garage for 10 years and she was wobbly in it but is finally getting used to it. So hopefully that will transition her a 24. I wish we'd bought a 20" last year as she could just continue using it this year.

Spawn is actually releasing a 24" bike. Should arrive in June. The problem? The expected price is around $1200.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Look to be blunt, pick something and buy it. You're trying to find the 'perfect' spec on a kids bike- it's not out there.

If you want out of the box don't replace a thing on it, then pony up the $1600 for the top of the line Specialized with XT, carbon bars and seat post etc... Otherwise all the choices are compromises.

Look at the Isla again, it's $1000 with X5 level components.

Looking at Spawn, nothing about it you can't build for less.

I've gone through this search twice now. So you either get a good compromise and leave it alone or buy a good base replace a few things or buy used and fix it up.

Side note: I personally think mechanical discs are better for kids than hydro, you can adjust the front so it won't lock up the front wheel and send them over the bars while they learn to modulate.
    I've been slowly adjusting the front on my son's and this past weekend we went on a single track ride with his front's adjusted the way I would for me and he did very well.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Look to be blunt, pick something and buy it. You're trying to find the 'perfect' spec on a kids bike- it's not out there.

If you want out of the box don't replace a thing on it, then pony up the $1600 for the top of the line Specialized with XT, carbon bars and seat post etc... Otherwise all the choices are compromises.

Look at the Isla again, it's $1000 with X5 level components.

Looking at Spawn, nothing about it you can't build for less.

I've gone through this search twice now. So you either get a good compromise and leave it alone or buy a good base replace a few things or buy used and fix it up.

Side note: I personally think mechanical discs are better for kids than hydro, you can adjust the front so it won't lock up the front wheel and send them over the bars while they learn to modulate.
    I've been slowly adjusting the front on my son's and this past weekend we went on a single track ride with his front's adjusted the way I would for me and he did very well.
    Well I had picked something until I read about all the disc brake failures with Tektro Novelas.

So I can go with the Street 24 and change to safer brakes, the Race 24 and use as is although she doesn't need a shock at this time, the Trek FX for a rigid shock priced almost as high as the Cannondale options or get a heavy bike with coil shock which I've read is hard to swap out to a rigid fork and with the swapping of parts to make them slightly lighter comparable to the Cannondale's, I'll have spent more than the $100 price difference.

I can't get an Islabike here. They will not ship to me. And there is absolutely nothing used that isn't from a big box store. I can link to our Kijiji if no one believes me. I live in a small city with very little market for quality kids bikes. Which is why the cheap steel Mieles and the lower end steel cheap Norcos are the ones they bring in and that sell first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    And I wanted to say thanks for the opinions. The recent comments are exactly what I need and are helpful even if you're telling me to just pick something already.
    Last edited by QueenMAUW; 05-13-2014 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Race does have a lock out. Both my kids use the lock out when riding around on pavement.

Not sure if that helps.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I checked Kijiji again today and this bike was just posted for $250 Diva 24 Inch Youth Norco Bicycles 2012 Archives I believe it's the same as the 24" Norco she's on in one of her pics, probably a year older.

Would that be worth getting and doing mods on to decrease weight?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The Race does have a lock out. Both my kids use the lock out when riding around on pavement.

Not sure if that helps.
    Thx. I've got the bike store double checking on the price and availability of the Race for me so I know if to out it in my list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I saw some interesting deals on CL CA. W/o knowing your location I just searched some of random cities.

GIANT STP 225 24" KIDS MTN BIKE
    TREK KIDS BIKE 24" 8-11 YRS OLD
    TREK Girls 24 in bike- MT220
    Kids 24 in TREK bicycle
    Haro MTB - 24" bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Unfortunately I am 15 hours from Vancouver and 3 days drive from Toronto. The only bike on my Kijiji that is worth anything at all is the Norco Diva I linked to earlier. Craigslist is not popular here at all. Most of Canada favours Kijiji over CL but the big cities do have some action on CL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Since you are still looking, you might check into the Redline Conquest 24. Maybe you could find a 2013 model on eBay that will ship to Canada. Good luck. You will find something your daughter will love.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This page has some picks for best 20 and 24 inch bikes. There is a link to a spreadsheet on the page that has some good data.

2013 Kids Bike Buyers Guide | Steve the Bike Guy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2