mtbr member
    May 2012

No More Training Wheels for my son!!!!

Thanks to Francois and others we are kicking the training wheel habit!!!

Being thoroughly frustred with running along side my boy and holding his handle bars when he went down hills and across side slopes and he still fell sometimes I got desparate/frustrated/smart

Yesterday when my wife was in a great mood it happened. We were at Wally World and I saw some scooters. I was able to convince her that the kids would not reject their bicycles if I got them scooters and she reluctantly agreed I wasn't sure if my 4 year old son would want to ride the two wheels scooter and yes Francois I did not get him the 3wheeled sooter, LOL

We get to the park and my 8 year old daughter is stoked with her scooter (she had one before and we left it in the park) and helped show my son how to use his (he had one before and it was a 3 wheeled one and he did not like it, because it was slow). To my delight he REALLY liked it and he was balancing right away and he even fell into a cinder block wall and scaped himself a little and got back on. What was sooo cool was that he was balancing. And if he got off balance he would jump off. I was ESTATIC!!!

By the time we left he was able to push himself along and then coast with one foot on the scooter and the other in the air for several feet!!!

These scooters will also be GREAT for the neighborhood!!!

His 16inch Hotrock is too big to be a balance bike, with the seat down he is on his tippy toes. So, I need to get him a balance bike or buy a 12 inch bike and take the pedals or crank off.

However, I am thinking he is nervous about bikes and I think it would be better to let him ride the heck out of scooters and get comfortable on them before giving him a balance bike, right?

When I do introduce a balance bike I am thinking of taking it up a slight grassy hill and actually riding it myself down the hill. That will drive him crazy with envy and him and his sister will fight over wanting to ride it next, I think.....

Or I could just coast it down the sidewalk hills in the park that he is riding his scooter. It would be the same concept and I think after he gets it down with the scooter, riding two wheel bikes should come easy?

In the meantime I will not let him ride his hotrock with the training wheels. It should not be a problem, because he is not really crazy to ride it anyway. And his sister will be happy to ride her scooter around the park and neighborhood as well. I take his sister on mountain bike rides solo with me and she enjoys that.

I'm not sure when I will get my son pedalling on a two wheeled bike, but I don't care, because he will not use training wheels anymore!!!

Thanks all
    Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great post Bill!

I did the exact same thing this weekend. I bought my son a Razor on Saturday in hopes of improving his balance for when it comes time to get him on the bike. At the same time I removed the training wheels on his bike, knowing that when he masters the scooter he will be that much closer to mastering the bike and will not need training wheels. By the end of the weekend he was coasting along with one foot on the scooter and one foot in the air for a few feet. At this rate I hope to get him on the bike very soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Grassy hill no pedals he will be balancing within the first ride then add the pedals back. Worked for my 5 yo after numerous attempts of trying to take off the training wheels. A month later he is riding 5 miles at a time right along side me!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I took my son to the park at lunch. He tried his bike without the training wheels and was very tentative, probably because he had, had bad experiences there before.. He just rode about 100 feet or so. He was more interested in his scooter and climbing a tree.

When I got home from work and was getting ready to leave for a long bike ride for a good workout, my son INSISTED in coming. I was really surprised!! I did not want him to come with and the decide he wanted to go home when we got there.

So, I told him we would ride on dirt roads and he was still chomping at the bit to go. I took him and figured I would see what happens. He was Gung Ho and pushed his bike and coasted and was having fun. And he was confident!!! He fell on some rocks that he insisted on riding on and cried and got over it. Then he said he wanted pedals. I don't think he is ready yet, but could be soon. We probably covered a half a mile or so!!

It was a real milestone today.

At any event no more training wheels!!!

Thanks all!!! Bill
    Last edited by Billinsd; 10-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So, my son is insisting on me putting the pedals on his bike. I figure since he wants to, he should be ready? Right? He hasn't had much time on the bike without the training wheels and without the pedals. However, he is 4, is eager, and what the heck, right?

I do not want him to start pedaling without training wheels on a rough dirt rock with lots of gravel and rocks, though, lol. I am going to take him to a flat park with a nice oval track. I saw a father teach his daughter in the same place.

Thanks
    Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Oh, I forgot to ask. So, I should still leave the seat down low, so his feet are flat on the ground when he is sitting in the seat, right? With the seat slammed down, his knees will be bent some when he is pedaling, however, it should be fine?
    Thanks
    Bill