Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sweet!! How much does your daughter weigh? I'm getting my daughter, who is just turning 8, her 1st real mtn bike in the next week or so. I have always had my kids ride all they can, and where there is a longer incline, if possible, I ride next to them with my hand on their back, and just push them on up next to me. It works here in lots of Bend's flowy trails that are wide enough to have an adult and kid side-by-side, but there are plenty of times that just does not work. This is something I might look into. Thanks for the idea. I know what will happen, though, my 10-yo son will be grabbing for that loop every chance he gets just to mess with me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's been almost a year since we started using this method to get up hills, and it is amazing how much my daughter has improved. I need to put an updated video on this, as now she climbs rocky and steep trails with big switchbacks all over the place. It is truly amazing to see how much she has improved in such a short period of time. On Saturday we did a 2000' in four miles climb, and to say it was easy would be lying, but we survived, and then she got to ride a real fun downhill back to town.

It would be nice to use something tougher than surgical tubing (and cheaper than $20 for 8'ish at HomeDepot), but it is pretty nice that a 3' taut piece can stretch to almost 20'. As your kids get better, that 20' really helps if they have to dab (put their feet down) and get rebalanced. My 5 year old daughter is now riding a 20" tire bike, and we are trying her now with SPDs (at least around the house and the local trails). I guess it is all about progression, having fun and most importantly being safe.

mtbr member

A New Way to Get Kids Uphill

Does anyone have another link of the video that shows how to make this? It's showing up as not found on my tapatalk app

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It probably is a bad link, as it was pretty old. And it wasn't really that great, as it took a long time to add and remove from your bike and was not that durable. If there is enough interest, I can show how I make my current version.

mtbr member

A New Way to Get Kids Uphill

I'd def be interested. I have. 5 year old that struggles getting up hills and I think thiS would be a great tool to help him through it

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good time for this thread to pop up. My 3 year old always needs a good push up hills and I was thinking if it is possible to make a tow rope from old inner tubes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If I get some time this weekend, I'll take some photos of my setup. It isn't anything fancy, with most everything being from Home Depot.

Regarding trying to do this with old tubes, I don't think it will work. I don't think tubes stretch much, definitely nothing like surgical tubing. So basically it will be just like a rope, and there will be a lot of shock then slack then shock, etc, and will make it so they have to stay pretty close to your bike, with you having a small length, as anything longer will get stuck in your or their tire.

And answering a question that Gaucho had above last year that I didn't answer, I've pulled both my kids at the same time on these (my daughter behind me, and then a second of these systems to connect my daughter to my son). So that is roughly 105 pounds of kids and bikes. The bigger the kids are hopefully the more they can help pedal and the less stress on the system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks. I reckon kid and bike weigh less than 50 pounds. We are lucky that all the good singletrack trails can be reached by landrover tracks so no technical or twisty uphills to deal with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2