Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi,
    I just finished building spark 20th
    It weighs now 9.07 kg / 19.99 LBS with tuned fork RST Capa, titan BB 160 g, titan skewers 32 g, lite kcnc v-brake 200g/pairs, XTR shifter 1x9, XT casette 11-32 with chain, light alu cables.
    Now I think it's a little pointless it was. A lot of work, a lot of money, the lack of a true rear schock (kind A5), and still not too light.
    But we'll see in the spring how it will go.
    It's possible to building 8,5 kg/18,7 LBS but you now, $$$$$$$ to much.
    Next bike (for next children) probably from islabikess.
    Soon I'll make pictures and show you.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler11 View Post
    Now I think it's a little pointless it was.
    It was not. If they like it, it was not. And every pound counts more on a kid's bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    New Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2489.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2491.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2492.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2493.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    New Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2504.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2494.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2495.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2496.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2497.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2498.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2499.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2500.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2501.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2502.jpgNew Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-100_2503.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice job Heckler11

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Killer build. I have a lot of the same parts on my sons Hot Rock.

What was the length and stroke on the replacement fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What does mean 'killer build"?
    the fork is stock, but tuned - changed steerer tube from cro-moly to aluminium, and cuted litle parts.
    Weight before 1,69 kg, now 1,54 kg. Total lenght is 38 cm, stroke before 3, 5 cm, now 5 cm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler11 View Post
    What does mean 'killer build"?
    the fork is stock, but tuned - changed steerer tube from cro-moly to aluminium, and cuted litle parts.
    Weight before 1,69 kg, now 1,54 kg. Total lenght is 38 cm, stroke before 3, 5 cm, now 5 cm.
    Sorry about that.... "Killer build" translates to "You did a good job improving that bike by choosing nice parts that look good"

And I intended to asked about the stroke/eye-to-eye distance on the new rear shock. I used the wrong term. I was trying to figure out how much replacing a rear shock on a Spark would cost, and I was looking for a suitable replacement shock online. Maybe an easier question for you to answer is, "where did you get the rear shock?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Killer build, thanks
    The stock shock (old spring), and new Kind Shock K5 has 125 mm eye to eye.
    I bought Kin Shock on alliexpress (95 $) from this seller: KS A5 RR1 Rear Shock for MTB Bikes 150mm/175g Bicycle Parts Free Shipping-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com.
    But now i see hi hasn't got KS A5 with right size 125 mm. Try to write to him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I rode today with my son, and i saw that KS A5 works unexpected good. Not pumped (pogo effect) as old shock, on the small obstacless worked really good (sensitive, plush).
    Only the travel is litlle shorter, but it's not a big problem. And suppression could only be stronger.

mtbr member
    May 2006

BB Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ThornPatch View Post
    Couple of suggestions:

1) replace the bottom bracket, that will save some weight.
    2) handlebars - any riser bar will work you'll just have to cut it down. Two things to consider: 1) be sure to buy a bar that works with the existing stem (that is if you're going to keep the stem); and 2) if the seat height is already lower than the bars you may want to go with a flat bar instead of a riser, adding a riser bar that increases the bar height will make the bike feel too "chopper" like. I used a FSA XC190 riser bar for my son's bike, it's alloy (so it was cheaper than carbon) and was easy to cut down, and its relatively light.

3) Replacing the wheels is the best way to knock off some weight, but it will cost you. I purchased a set of 28-hole hubs and SunRingle rims on eBay and had them built by a local shop. This saved considerable weight, but I also had to buy a 9 speed cassette, new rear derr. and a set of new shifters. Works way better, but cost lots.
    I got from Scott that the stock set up for the bottom bracket is: Frame 68 and BB 116 so what are my options regarding an upgraded and lighter square taper BB? I seen in your post where you have suggested lightening up in this area. I've already re-laced the front wheel to an XT hub, 2012 deore v-brakes, carbon ct-2 seat post, bontrager race light handlebar, Avid single digit 5 brake levers and thinking about re-lacing the rear but may just convert the axle to a QR instead. Thanks for the ideas and keep em' coming cause my little man is in love with this ride. 2011 Scott Spark Jr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't know how to lace a wheel. Any body know where I can just buy a set of 20 inch disk wheels for my boys spark.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes1 View Post
    I don't know how to lace a wheel. Any body know where I can just buy a set of 20 inch disk wheels for my boys spark.
    I bought a set of cheap Circus Monkey 28h hubs off Ebay, some light Alex rims and had LBS lace it up for me (too much time by myself). I found that most everything available is much too heavy, with BMX rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I did the same. Circus Monkeys 28h off EBay, Alienation Deviant rims. Makes a light wheelset. I don't think there are any commercially available disc 20" wheels, and if there are, they would be HEAVY.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OK thanks, can I have opinion on which to get; circus monkeys, aleination, sun ringle envy lite or cr-18. and what specifics should i look for when shopping. rim depth, width what hole count

Axe
    Custom User Title
    OK thanks, can I have opinion on which to get; circus monkeys, aleination, sun ringle envy lite or cr-18. and what specifics should i look for when shopping. rim depth, width what hole count
    You do not need more than 28h for a kid. Narrow rim is fine too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks again, one more quick question, what spacing on the axles do i need is the scott 9x100 and 10x135

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Thanks again, one more quick question, what spacing on the axles do i need is the scott 9x100 and 10x135
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I don't think you want the CR-18. I believe it is a mini rim with a 451 diameter. I've used the Alienation Deviant for disc brakes and the Crupi Rhythm expert 20 x 1.50" with rim brakes, both of which have the 406 diameter, which will give you more appropriate tire choices for a mt. bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfpoodi View Post
    I don't think you want the CR-18. I believe it is a mini rim with a 451 diameter. I've used the Alienation Deviant for disc brakes and the Crupi Rhythm expert 20 x 1.50" with rim brakes, both of which have the 406 diameter, which will give you more appropriate tire choices for a mt. bike.
    CR-18's come in both 451 and 406. I believe you might be thinking of the Sun M14A.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i found cr-18s, 406 iso, 22.2 mm width, 15mm rim depth 32h. will those work. I can only find the envy and devients with 36h

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    also anyone no where I can find the A2Z DM-UNI adaptor they are no where to be found

mtbr member
    also anyone no where I can find the A2Z DM-UNI adaptor they are no where to be found
    Are you in U.S.?

mtbr member
    Hit this guy up. He told me he gets them in all the time. I just bought this one last week as I'm working on a similar project as you it would seem.

A2z Rear Disc Brake Mount for Tabless Frame DM Uni | eBay

mtbr member
    And yes that CR18 you found is the right fit. It will allow you to run a nice size tire for a kids mtn bike.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast