Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What a difference

So I live in the mountains of NC and wanted my son to join me on some great rides. At this point, I am done. He has:
    127mm custom cut Truvativ triple crankset from BikeSmith. In hindsight, I think 135 or so might have been better to give him room togrow. If anyone wants to buy these from me PM me.
    X9 hubs with Velocity Aeroheat rims. Expensive upgrade ( I did find a bargain on the parts) but the way I look at it, when he outgrows this, I will relace the hubs with 24" rims and ebay the 20" rims.
    Air shock from Xfusion _ I just called the company and spoke with someone who sold the air shock to me. Worth the money
    34-tooth cassette in back - there is little flat here
    New platform pedals - no grip on the plastic ones

So - in all I spent a fair amount of money, but less than what I will spend on a new wheelset for me. I figure for 2+ years of use, plus the possibility of extending the use of hubs even longer, it is worth it to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-2012-09-28_19-11-33_604.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi,
    where you bought dumper X-fusion 02 R and what the cost?
    Thanks for reply

mtbr member
    Just picked one up for my 8 yo (he's a little small). Ive been holding off on upgrading his Performance Burnout. I plan to build some disc wheels, but I know that the rear would need a disc adaptor. I also plan on replacing the rear shifter and cassette (8sp). Disc brakes, better tires, and a riser bar. Lots of good info in this thread and elsewhere, but a few questions I have still are:
    1. anyone find a good rear disc brake adaptor?
    2. What are the rear shock dimensions, and how much do they cost?
    Thanks for any help!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler11 View Post
    Hi,
    where you bought dumper X-fusion 02 R and what the cost?
    Thanks for reply
    I bought one directly from X-fusion, for Spark 24. They told me at that time it was the last one they had around in their office.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm slowly losing my mind on my son's Scale Jr 20. I hit the Trexlertown swap a few weeks back looking for bits, and I'm getting ready to build up a new set of wheels. What'd I find?

Inexpensive 31.8 Bontrager bars and stem, new grips.
    XTR V-brakes and levers.
    X.0 rear derailleur, medium cage, and X.9 trigger shifter.
    140mm Sinz cranks with 34t ring.
    Syncros Ti seatpost.
    Nokon derailleur cables ($6!!! haha.)
    XTR M950 non-disc hubs, which'll get built to a new set of rims.

Ditched the stock tires in favor of Kenda Small Block 8s which lost an /amazing/ amount of weight. I'm hoping to get this bike under 20lbs once finished... going to be running 1x9, which should be MORE than enough. Too much fun.

mtbr member
    Awesome Sashae. I've been geeking out on parts for building up my son's Spark JR 20 - plan is to give it to him as a Christmas present.
    * I've identified some older 32-spoke disc hubs I have in my garage, and I plan to build them up with the stock rims
    * I found the answer to my previous question about a rear disc adaptor and bought an A2Z DM-UNI adaptor from eBay. Also picked up some used F&R Elixir CR brakes (no discs) from eBay for $100. I've got extra (used) 160mm discs, but I might splurge for some 140mm ones.
    * I plan to get some Small Block 8 tires
    * I'll be pulling an 8-speed cassette and SRAM Rocket trigger shifter from my dirt-jump bike and plan to put it on this one - I might use the front chainguide as well.
    * Next is the front crank/ring. I'm thinking Sinz 40mm from eBay, 32 ring, and re-using an old square taper BB that I should have in my garage (ps - anyone know the width? I'm guessing 68mm...)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well looks like we are all in the same boat. Is the suspension on the scott Jr set up accurately for a 55 pound child. I think full suspension is a great idea for a little one as long as it is made for their weight. Feel free to comment.

Thanks , Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Does anyone know where I can buy shock X-fusion 02 R 125 mm to scott spark?
    X-Fusion Shox-USA did not sell those any more.
    Thanks.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Does anyone know where I can buy shock X-fusion 02 R 125 mm to scott spark?
    X-Fusion Shox-USA did not sell those any more.
    Thanks.
    I got it from them a year ago, and guy (John) said it was the last one they had around the office and they are not making them. Nice shock, real rebound with wide range. I wish they did not have that stupid Manitou eyelet size, as I can't use needle bearing shock mounts. Stock ones are quite sticky - especially for a light rider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    what do you think about this shock KS? (my eanglish is not well,sorry). I will buy one.
    What about adjust dumping in this KS?
    Last edited by heckler11; 11-22-2012 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    what do you think about this shock KS? (my eanglish is not well,sorry). I will buy one.
    What about adjust dumping in this KS?
    Looking at the pic it appears to be an air shock only with no external adjustable rebound damping, hopefully I'm wrong as its light weight & the price is right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I got it from them a year ago, and guy (John) said it was the last one they had around the office and they are not making them. Nice shock, real rebound with wide range. I wish they did not have that stupid Manitou eyelet size, as I can't use needle bearing shock mounts. Stock ones are quite sticky - especially for a light rider.
    I had the same problem with X-Fushion shock sticking on my son's Spark RC. I solved the problem by going to torontocycles.com & purchasing Ti shock bolts with low profile Ti lock nuts.The lock nut allows you to back off the torque slightly & this eliminated all the sticking. To loose & the shock moves/knocks, every once and while I have to give the lock nut a hair more torque to stop this, but its well worth it to eliminating the sticking. Its going back a couple of year now, but I remembering having to buy the shock bolts too long for what I needed in order to get the correct shoulder length, which is important. I then cut the bolt to the correct length.Also ran a washer only on the locknut side.
    If he doesn't have the right shock bolt shoulder length then I may have just bought Ti allen bolts to get the correct shoulder. If you're considering this let me now & I'll try & find the purchase order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-img_0328_1.jpg  

New Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?-img_0330_1.jpg  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I had the same problem with X-Fushion shock sticking on my son's Spark RC. I solved the problem by going to torontocycles.com & purchasing Ti shock bolts with low profile Ti lock nuts.The lock nut allows you to back off the torque slightly & this eliminated all the sticking. To loose & the shock moves/knocks, every once and while I have to give the lock nut a hair more torque to stop this, but its well worth it to eliminating the sticking. Its going back a couple of year now, but I remembering having to buy the shock bolts too long for what I needed in order to get the correct shoulder length, which is important. I then cut the bolt to the correct length.Also ran a washer only on the locknut side.
    If he doesn't have the right shock bolt shoulder length then I may have just bought Ti allen bolts to get the correct shoulder. If you're considering this let me now & I'll try & find the purchase order.
    This does sound like a plan? I think M8x75 should work - I will measure. I will also get the Manitou heavy duty mounting kit.

I think they did it on purpose as the stock shock has no damping whatsoever.

P.S. Looks like a good idea with the sandpaper on pedal axles. Will go get the scraps back out of trash from the skateboard grip I was installing yesterdays.

mtbr member
    Sweet - finally another air shock option since X-fusion stopped production! Anyone try order/try one of these KS shocks yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just ordered this dumper KS from Taiwan, and now I'm waiting for it.
    I'll try to write about it.
    Weight of the bike is slowly coming up to 9 kg.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I just ordered this dumper KS from Taiwan, and now I'm waiting for it.
    I'll try to write about it.
    Weight of the bike is slowly coming up to 9 kg.
    I found the product information page for A5-RE. Apparently it is a friction damper. No oil.

A5-RR1 version adds a topout adjustment. It would be about 180g weight saving compared to the coil, if I remember correctly.

But realistically, for the amount of travel, and stiction in suspension, not much damping is needed. I keep X2 fully open.

There is 5.5x1.0 Fox. I wonder if it could be made to work by flipping the link and adding a 5mm internal shim (or making it 100mm rear travel). By looking at the picture it seems that rotating the link backwards will easily add about an inch eye to eye distance.

Well, I do have Xfusion, so will not really try..

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I found the product information page for A5-RE. Apparently it is a friction damper. No oil.

A5-RR1 version adds a topout adjustment. It would be about 180g weight saving compared to the coil, if I remember correctly.

But realistically, for the amount of travel, and stiction in suspension, not much damping is needed. I keep X2 fully open.

There is 5.5x1.0 Fox. I wonder if it could be made to work by flipping the link and adding a 5mm internal shim (or making it 100mm rear travel). By looking at the picture it seems that rotating the link backwards will easily add about an inch eye to eye distance.

Well, I do have Xfusion, so will not really try..
    Axe, I don't think you can flip the links. I remember someone complaining of the air can being dented by the cable stop ( you can see it on my son's Spark a few posts up), I had suggested the links got flipped by accident and that was his problem.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Axe, I don't think you can flip the links. I remember someone complaining of the air can being dented by the cable stop ( you can see it on my son's Spark a few posts up), I had suggested the links got flipped by accident and that was his problem.
    I think he flipped it upside down, so that the axle is higher. I suggest flipping it backward, so that the axle is further away, so that a shock with a 140mm e2e distance fits (not sure what would be the actual distance). such shock will have 25mm stroke, which can be shimmed easily to 20 (or whatever frame allows).

You can also dremel away the cable stop in a minute. I did it, partially, to run full length raillery and disk brake housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have fliped the links up side down on both bikes, (spark JR RC 24 and 20).
    But before I had cut a piece of "cable stop." In this position the suspension is much softer and travel is longer.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I have fliped the links up side down on both bikes, (spark JR RC 24 and 20).
    But before I had cut a piece of "cable stop." In this position the suspension is much softer and travel is longer.
    Huh. Should try that. I do not need the cable stops anyway, as I have switched to full length housing, it stays in place well enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi,
    I just installed a rear shock A5 KS to spark 20
    Suitable bushes from coil stock shock.
    It weighs 170 g with mounting bushes.
    The stock coil shock weighs 290 g (with bushes)
    KS A5 it is a friction damper - it is loud. Works like poof, zzzzz, poof, zzzz
    Dumping is not sufficient. It works as a stock coil shock without dumping with pogo effect.

X-Fusion 02 from spark 24 is much better (I have one in spark RC)
    It is difficult for me to write, I do not know English well.

mtbr member
    Thanks Heckler11 - your English was good enough to get the point! It sounds like the A5 KS sucks. I plan to stick with the stock shock until I can come up with something better like a used X-fusion that shows up on Ebay or something. Thank you for the write up.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead View Post
    Thanks Heckler11 - your English was good enough to get the point! It sounds like the A5 KS sucks. I plan to stick with the stock shock until I can come up with something better like a used X-fusion that shows up on Ebay or something. Thank you for the write up.
    I will try measuring today what flipping the link gets. Shimmed 140 x 25 stroke Fox would probably be a better choice if it can be fitted. I may have an XFusion for sale then...if I can get more then half price of the cheapest new old stock 140x25 I can find.

mtbr member
    Definitely report back on that, Axe! If it works, that would be awesome...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast