Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Scott Spark JR 20" Modifications?

47K views 111 replies 29 participants last post by  thchen 
#1 ·
I just bought my 8 year old daughter a 20" Scott Spark for a good price at a LBS.

It is a really great bike as it is, however, I am interested in lightening it a bit and making it more user friendly without breaking the bank.

I have read the other thread about the 20" Scott build and liked the 2 inch riser handle bars, since the stock ones are real low.

The bike weighs the same as her Huffy 20" or less.

The gearing seems to be low enough for her to go up hills, but I am not sure if she will need that big outer chain ring?

What are some options for riser handle bars, stem, wheels, tires, and possibly shifters?

This bike will be passed on to my 4 year old son, so I do not mind spending money on it, especially replacing parts that wear out.

Thanks
Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#42 ·
I found the product information page for A5-RE. Apparently it is a friction damper. No oil.

A5-RR1 version adds a topout adjustment. It would be about 180g weight saving compared to the coil, if I remember correctly.

But realistically, for the amount of travel, and stiction in suspension, not much damping is needed. I keep X2 fully open.

There is 5.5x1.0 Fox. I wonder if it could be made to work by flipping the link and adding a 5mm internal shim (or making it 100mm rear travel). By looking at the picture it seems that rotating the link backwards will easily add about an inch eye to eye distance.

Well, I do have Xfusion, so will not really try..

#47 ·
Hi,
I just installed a rear shock A5 KS to spark 20
Suitable bushes from coil stock shock.
It weighs 170 g with mounting bushes.
The stock coil shock weighs 290 g (with bushes)
KS A5 it is a friction damper - it is loud. Works like poof, zzzzz, poof, zzzz :)
Dumping is not sufficient. It works as a stock coil shock without dumping with pogo effect.

X-Fusion 02 from spark 24 is much better (I have one in spark RC)
It is difficult for me to write, I do not know English well.

#49 ·
I will try measuring today what flipping the link gets. Shimmed 140 x 25 stroke Fox would probably be a better choice if it can be fitted. I may have an XFusion for sale then...if I can get more then half price of the cheapest new old stock 140x25 I can find.

#51 ·
Hi,
I just finished building spark 20th
It weighs now 9.07 kg / 19.99 LBS :) with tuned fork RST Capa, titan BB 160 g, titan skewers 32 g, lite kcnc v-brake 200g/pairs, XTR shifter 1x9, XT casette 11-32 with chain, light alu cables.
Now I think it's a little pointless it was. A lot of work, a lot of money, the lack of a true rear schock (kind A5), and still not too light.
But we'll see in the spring how it will go.
It's possible to building 8,5 kg/18,7 LBS but you now, $$$$$$$ to much.
Next bike (for next children) probably from islabikess.
Soon I'll make pictures and show you.

#58 ·
Sorry about that.... "Killer build" translates to "You did a good job improving that bike by choosing nice parts that look good"

And I intended to asked about the stroke/eye-to-eye distance on the new rear shock. I used the wrong term. I was trying to figure out how much replacing a rear shock on a Spark would cost, and I was looking for a suitable replacement shock online. Maybe an easier question for you to answer is, "where did you get the rear shock?"

#60 ·
I rode today with my son, and i saw that KS A5 works unexpected good. Not pumped (pogo effect) as old shock, on the small obstacless worked really good (sensitive, plush).
Only the travel is litlle shorter, but it's not a big problem. And suppression could only be stronger.

#69 ·
I don't think you want the CR-18. I believe it is a mini rim with a 451 diameter. I've used the Alienation Deviant for disc brakes and the Crupi Rhythm expert 20 x 1.50" with rim brakes, both of which have the 406 diameter, which will give you more appropriate tire choices for a mt. bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.