mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New BMX for 8 year old girl

Hi everyone. My daughter who is 8 years old is destroying her Specialized 20" hotrock by riding it at the local bmx track and skatepark and riding it down stairs etc. She has already bend the rear wheel several times, bent the handlebars, smashed the Rear D into the spokes and bend the hanger.

It is obvious that this bike was not meant to do anything but ride around the neighborhood so I am looking to get her another bike that will be better for the type of riding we do. Mainly we ride around the neighborhood and down stairs and off curbs and we ride several miles of paved trails to the BMX track and skatepark (she really enjoyes the BMX track).

I started looking for a smaller sized bmx bike for her. At first I started looking at the mini and Jr sized race bikes but they are pretty expensive and have really small tires and seems like she would grow out of it in a year or so. I don't want to get her another mountain bike as that is not the type of riding we do.

I have found a couple smaller bmx bikes with a 19" toptube (shortest I could find with 20" wheels). Specialized Fuse Grom http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=39287&eid=137. Mirraco Shorty http://www.mirrabikeco.com/shorty.html. Both bikes have a 19" top tube, shorter smaller bars, shorter cranks. the Mirroco weighs 25.6 lbs and the Specialized weighs 26lbs.

I have had her ride both bikes and they are a little big but I think they will fit her better next summer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    J

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    After researching a little more I found that she would probably be better suited on a 18" bmx bike like the Mirraco Black Pearl 18 or something along those lines. I am just worried that she will out grow that rather quickly.

The Beast Breathes
    How about a NORMAL BMX bike, like a 20" Bmx bike... It should have low enough standover to fit an 8-year-old girl, but should last a while.

What's your budget?

$under 200:
    Diamondback Grind
    $200- 450:
    GT Zone
    Diamondback Joker
    $450+
    Diamondback Accomplice (interestingly strong jump BMX bike, although you might want to get a fork that can accommodate a front brake.)
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.