mtbr member

New bike for my 53" 8 years old daughter. Advices needed

Hi everyone!

My 8 years old daughter has outgrowned her 20" Opus Doppler. I'm looking for a new bike for her. I've been checking used bike but so far nothing to my tast. I'm thinking maybe pulling the trigger this fall as price are already down a bit...

What I think I want (correct me if I'm going in the wrong direction):
    24"
    spinner fork or upgrade a bad fork to something better (RST 1rst air?)
    possibility to upgrade drivetrain to 9 or 10 speed and possibly go 1x with oneup or equivalent
    Hydro disc brake

What I've seen so far at lbs:

Opus Fever 24
    It seems to me like the better choice right now as it is: Spinner fork, 3x8 (X4 rd) with granny 22 (could put a bash on the bigger ring)
    Shimano brakes
    price 700-750can$ (2014-2015)
    26 pounds

RM Vertex
    already 9 speed (Deore rd) but suntour fork
    Shimano brakes
    heavier
    800$ can

Giant XTC JR SL
    8speed (alivio)
    Suntour fork
    but 599$ can

Norco Charger?
    2016 modèle looks sweet but 1x10 with 36 ring...

Specialized Hotrock 24 disc?
    Suntour fork

Many option at lower price with upgrades to do???

I would like to get something like Trek Fuel EX JR but cannot convinced myself that it's worth it to pay 2000$ for a kid bike...

Also to consider, my 6 years old is shredding on a 20" but he is so tall that he will need a bigger bike in a year or two so I won't be able to pass the new 24" bike to him...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I bought last weeks two Opus fever 24 2015 for my 8 year old boy and my 6 year old daughter, they love them. For the price this is the bike with the best components and lighter. Opus currently offer good discounts to liquidate the 2015 models. I paid 750 $ CA taxes included each in a bike shop near Montréal.

Opus is a Quebec company I also like the idea of helping encourage local businesses.The only negative is the tires, but no comparable model for the prize of the best tires.

If your boy is as high as my 6 year old daughter and can roll a 24 inch, you should procure for him also to follow her sister.

I do not know for Charger 2016, but stay far from the 2015 because of the crankset is unusable for children unless you change it.

Stay away from grip shif.

If the Opus is too expensive for your budget you should consider the Ghost Powerkid 24 at MEC for 500 $ CA. It is light as Opus, it also has hydrolic brakes but the rest of the components and particularly the fork is worse. it offers two color, one for girls and one for boy. The frame is a little bigger and was too high for my children.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We've bought the Giant from last year for our 8 year old. They called it the XTC Jr 0 last year. She likes it and finds it easy to shift the rear derailleur but finds shifting the front a bit difficult.

Also, she finds it heavy to push up hills. These were hills that were probably a bit technical for her. Lots of rocks to grab your tires and to steer around.

It is heavy at about 29 pounds though. The wheels seems to be one of be heavy bits as they are noticeably heavier than the 27.5" wheels I have on my Trek Cali SLX (granted it's a higher level bike). Not sure if it's both the tires and rims making them heavy, but I'd like to swap those out for her.

She's a timid rider though and previous had only ridden paced paths. We took her on a "beginner" trail in the mountains but I'm not sure I'd consider for beginner 8 year olds. She did great on the rocky downhills. It was just the uphill climbs that got her. Heck, I walked my bike up two. But I'm out of shape. LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeb View Post
    I bought last weeks two Opus fever 24 2015 for my 8 year old boy and my 6 year old daughter, they love them. For the price this is the bike with the best components and lighter. Opus currently offer good discounts to liquidate the 2015 models. I paid 750 $ CA taxes included each in a bike shop near Montréal.

Opus is a Quebec company I also like the idea of helping encourage local businesses.The only negative is the tires, but no comparable model for the prize of the best tires.

If your boy is as high as my 6 year old daughter and can roll a 24 inch, you should procure for him also to follow her sister.

I do not know for Charger 2016, but stay far from the 2015 because of the crankset is unusable for children unless you change it.

Stay away from grip shif.

If the Opus is too expensive for your budget you should consider the Ghost Powerkid 24 at MEC for 500 $ CA. It is light as Opus, it also has hydrolic brakes but the rest of the components and particularly the fork is worse. it offers two color, one for girls and one for boy. The frame is a little bigger and was too high for my children.
    Thanks! My boy is 51" so he should be able to ride on the 24 as well but I think I'll wait till next year to spread expenses over time a bit!

No grip shift indeed, we installed some trigger shifters after a while on their doppler and it was a lot easier for them to learn to shift gears.

I would have liked to build a bike myself, maybe with an XS frame et find some wheel/fork that would fit but I find it harder to get used stuff in canada
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenMAUW View Post
    We've bought the Giant from last year for our 8 year old. They called it the XTC Jr 0 last year. She likes it and finds it easy to shift the rear derailleur but finds shifting the front a bit difficult.

Also, she finds it heavy to push up hills. These were hills that were probably a bit technical for her. Lots of rocks to grab your tires and to steer around.

It is heavy at about 29 pounds though. The wheels seems to be one of be heavy bits as they are noticeably heavier than the 27.5" wheels I have on my Trek Cali SLX (granted it's a higher level bike). Not sure if it's both the tires and rims making them heavy, but I'd like to swap those out for her.

She's a timid rider though and previous had only ridden paced paths. We took her on a "beginner" trail in the mountains but I'm not sure I'd consider for beginner 8 year olds. She did great on the rocky downhills. It was just the uphill climbs that got her. Heck, I walked my bike up two. But I'm out of shape. LOL
    My daughter could be describe as a timid rider as well!! My girlfriend would say careful, just like her! She's a relatively strong climber but I think she's scared a bit on downs or technical parts because she is too high on her bike and well over the bars. Yesterday, we were riding an easy section of trail but with 10 consecutive bridges of about 6 to 10 feet of length. After the fifth one, she decided that she had enough and walk the last 5!

My boy on the countrary is the "almost suicidal" kind and I'm always yelling him to slow down… So I think having a suspension fork would be good for him too, to gain a bit of control when he is riding too fast for his ability!

For kids like them, weight is a hugh difference I think. Their Opus doppler were 20 pounds so around 15 pounds less than their previous 16" steel bike! The improvement was clearly noticeable.
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    Thanks! My boy is 51" so he should be able to ride on the 24 as well but I think I'll wait till next year to spread expenses over time a bit!

No grip shift indeed, we installed some trigger shifters after a while on their doppler and it was a lot easier for them to learn to shift gears.

I would have liked to build a bike myself, maybe with an XS frame et find some wheel/fork that would fit but I find it harder to get used stuff in canada

Before purchasing the Opus Fever I wanted to buy used bikes with a aluiminium frame and change for Hydraulic brake and an air fork. But it would have costed me double the price of Opus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Forgot to mention that she likes the brakes. She came from a balance bike where she used mostly her feet to stop even though it had a rear brake. Then an Opus Glitter where she never used the coaster brake, only the rear hand brake and her feet.

It was hard to train her out of using her feet and when she did, she would only use the rear brake on her Giant. She just started using both this summer but the hydraulic sure is nice for her being so easy to squeeze the handles.

Dream it, Do it.
    Cleary Bikes is going to be introducing a new 24" bike soon.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Trek has a superfly 24 disc for about $600.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    If this is as light compared to others in it's class/pricepoint as the Superfly 20, this might be a winner
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    Reading some reviews on Trek website, the bike weight 26 pounds, so the same as Opus Fever

I could have it for 551can$ plus tx, best price for Opus 699$ +tx. I would have to upgrade shifters for trigger. The main difference seems to be the fork: Suntour 50mm vs Spinner 60mm. Anybody have experience with both fork?

This is perfect...
    Trailcraft Cycles
    except the price. With duty and exchange rate: 2700$ can!!
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    the opus have a relly better fork Spinner Air 65 mm. The air suspension can be adjusted perfectly to the child's weight and may lock on the handlebars.

The Trek 24 have XCT-JR 24, is a coil fork with less clearance and very little adjustable.

My daughter had before the Fever a Cannondale Trail 20 with XCT-JR 20. The fork was working relatively well, but nothing compares to Spinner Air. It really works better and has a better rebound. XTC fork is more like a toy and the Spinner is like a true adult fork but adapted to child weight.

Considering the fork inferiority and the price for the upgrade trigger shifters you want to do the trek, I think the Fever is a better choice. Moreover you with Opus encourages the local economy.

But depent use as your child does. For a city use the opus does not really offer much advantage compared to Trek and it would be better with a bike without suspension but the Fever will stand out clearly from the Superfly in the mountain bike trails.

My son and my daughter uses a lot the blocking suspension on the handlebars when they climb a hill, which helps follow their dad and I'm jealous of not having this feature myself on my Rocky Mountain

mtbr member
    Here's my take - my 8 year old boy just graduated from a Rocky Mountain Edge 24" to a 2011 Specialized Myka FSR (small frame).

The Edge 24 - V braked equipped, suntour fork, basic Altus shifters. Bottom line - he rode the crap out of this thing, from Moab to St. George, Fruita and our home trails. V brakes are totally fine for kids this light. He has disc brakes on his fat bike and never once complained about the V brakes on the Edge 24. The suspension works under kids weights, the shifting is fine, and he used the full range of the 3x7. A singe ring up front is a ridiculous idea for a kids bike. Give them the lowest gears possible and take them out to climb trails. That 1x stuff is geared too high, period, and your kids will get frustrated and worn out. Upgrades beyond what this bike is spec'd with will be lost on them, especially when limited to a 24" wheeled platform. Yes, weight is a consideration, but not that big of a deal when we're talking about decent bikes likes all the ones listed above. Their weight to power ratio is ridiculous - a few pounds difference is immaterial. Another note - on almost every kids bike I see, the tires are way over inflated. I run about 8-10 psi in my 65lb son's mtn bike tires and have yet to pinch flat. I see the other kids on the trails with 20 psi in their tires and they're getting rattled to death and front end is washing out all over the place.

Trek Fuel EX JR - cool bike, might've bought it if money wasn't an issue, but the bottom bracket is really low, and toe overlap seemed like it would be an issue soon. We just picked up a small frame 2011 Specialized Myka FSR. for less than 1/3 the price of the EX JR, and all the geometry specs all around are within 2 cm of the Ex JR. THIS is the used bike you should be looking for if the EX jr isn't an option. Hit the trails with it Sunday, and the Edge 24 is up on craigslist as we speak. Once I get some pics downloaded and take some measurements of my boy, I'll probably start a new post on the Myka FSR as an EX JR alternative.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    My almost 9 year old has been on the Giant since spring. She likes it and does well on it. The reach is still a little long for her and she complains of wrist pain, but I just rotated the handle bars back a bit to hopefully help with that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Two weeks ago I went downhill to SkiBromont with my children with their new bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. it makes a big difference, the time before with their old bikes with V brakes after two runs they complained of having sore hands. With hydraulic disc brakes now no more complaining, they brake more easily with much less effort.