mtbr member
    Jan 2013

need wheelset for riding with two kids

hi all,

I'm a dad of two boys - they're going to be 4 and 2 this summer. Presently, I have a Hamax Kiss seat on the back of my 26" Ross Hybrid, and also own a Weeride for the front. (See picture of my bike below, without the Weeride)

I haven't tried biking with both kids at the same time, but I'm looking for recommendations on a wheelset that can help us get around New York City -- between the kids and myself, I'd say we weigh around 320 pounds.

Being that New York is the capital of bike theft, I don't want to buy super expensive wheels that attract attention, just ones that will reliably do the job commuting..

Thank you!

..and yes, that's a noseless saddle on the picture! I've been riding on it for a year and it feels fantastic -- though it did take two weeks of getting used to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails need wheelset for riding with two kids-ljova_bike_with_child_seat.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ideally I would say get some Mavic 721's with Shimano XT hubs, ( 36 h would be preferable), have them built by a good builder with 14g straight guage spokes and brass nipples.
    The rims are super strong, kinda heavy but peel the stickers off they look non-descript. they will also be compatible with your rim brakes.
    Cheaper but not as strong would be some Sun Rhyno Lite rims on something like LX hubs. You should be able to find a pre-built pair of these pretty cheap.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther View Post
    Ideally I would say get some Mavic 721's with Shimano XT hubs, ( 36 h would be preferable), have them built by a good builder with 14g straight guage spokes and brass nipples.
    The rims are super strong, kinda heavy but peel the stickers off they look non-descript. they will also be compatible with your rim brakes.
    Cheaper but not as strong would be some Sun Rhyno Lite rims on something like LX hubs. You should be able to find a pre-built pair of these pretty cheap.
    Many thanks! Yes I do see that you can buy the Sun Rhyno Lite rims on Amazon. Can't find a pre-built variant of Mavic 721/Shimano XT, though.

Thank you, this is lovely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Pretty nice bomber wheels and a decent price. I would go for it.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther View Post
    Pretty nice bomber wheels and a decent price. I would go for it.
    thanks! and I found the Sun Rhyno set here, for about half of the price of the Mavic Set....:
    http://www.niagaracycle.com/advanced...himano&x=0&y=0
    would you go for these?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Whichever your budget allows I would grab. I raced dh for 4 years on thesame 721s which are still in use on a friends bike. I have also had good luck with rhyno lites. Either would be a great option.
    Rhynos are a tad more difficult to mount tires on but not undoable. Just tighter...so good tire levers are a must.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    great. i appreciate this so much - better advice than i've gotten at our local bike shop, that's for sure... or the local hipster place that wanted to sell me a hand-built wheel for around $300 apiece..